DRYING???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DRYING???

Hey,

Right now I have been using just a regular chamous to dry off my truck after I wash it. Although it appears that it is leaving little marks of wear i dryed!! They are not real noticeable, but this is something to worry about. I think a good wax job will take these out, but how can i prevent this? What should I dry my truck off with? ANY HELP IS WANTED!! THANKS.

------------------
My F-150
  • XLT
  • Toreador Red
  • Super Crew
  • 4.6 Liter
  • v8
  • Xcelerator Muffler
  • Dual Exhaust (Y-PIPE)
  • 6" Chrome Tips
  • Vent Shades
  • GTS Headlight Covers
  • Rhino Sprayed-In Bedliner
  • Flairside
  • 35% Window Tint (Front 2 side windows)
  • 11" 7% dark tint band on front
  • Bugflector
    Pending
  • 33" BFGoodwrench All Terain Tires (with rims)
  • 3" P.A. Body Lift
  • True Dual Exhaust (with another xcelerator muffle)
  • Font 2 windows re-tinted to 20%(to match factory tinting)

THE BEST TRUCKS ARE BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 04-30-2001, 09:57 AM
You'll probably hear from both sides of the fence, 2dollar, but my two cents say get rid of the chamois. In my experience, that skin has a tendency to retain sharp bits of grit.

I went to my local Sears baby section. They sell Gerber brand "extra absorbent" plain cloth diapers. Launder them a time or two.
Those <ahem> "babies" work great!! One diaper sops up a whole truck with minimal wringing and leavings. They're perfect for taking wax off and buffing. The weave is close and they're soft as hell.
Having used mine for about six months now, I've thrown away all my old terry cloths and use diapers exclusively.
Buy one pack (3 per pack), give them a try, and see if you don't agree.

Old 04-30-2001, 10:07 AM
Another alternative, that I first read about here and have tried with good success, is to use a blower (leaf-blower) to remove the water from the truck. It works great for removing the water that likes to hide in the door handles, under and around moulding, and those immpossible to reach spots. I have a Sears shop vac. The top part is removable and doubles as a blower. Just have to be carefull that there isn't any sand or dirt in the air, that could be blown into the paint, causing more of a problem though.

------------------
2001 Supercrew-Lariat 4x4 5.4L 3.55L/S
Black/Gold trim Tan leather, Moonroof, 6disc CD-changer, towing package, cargo-cage,
K&N FIPK, LSII Lid. bug-deflector/headlamp shields, super-white bulbs, slotted taillight covers

Old 04-30-2001, 10:14 AM
Thumbs up

2dollarsteak: I have to agree with sundog7 about the chamous vs. diapers thing . . .

sundog7: I haven't used diapers on my vheicle in about 25 yesrs - thanks for the reminder, I'm going to Sears this and get a couple of packs!

------------------
Gots: 2000 F-150, 4x4, SCab, XLT, Island Blue, Styleside, 157” Wheelbase, 5.4L EFI, 4-Speed Auto O/D, Class III Towing Package; AM/FM/CD; Dark Graphite 40/60 Cloth Seats (F/R); Rear Slider; 4 Wheel ABS; “K&N” FIPK; “Ex-Tang” Snapless Tonneau; Ford “Duraliner” Bedliner; “CDA” Paint Saver Pad; “Lund Runners” Truck Steps; “Husky” Splashguards; “Saddleman”Hood Protector; “WeatherTech” WeatherFlectors; 4th Brake Light (again!); “Pilot” Navigator 55 Watt Backup Lights (pair, under hitch); “Weather Tech” Floor Mats (retired for the summer);

Wants: “Gibson” Dual Sport Truck Cat-Back Exhaust System; “Exotic Wood” Steering Wheel & Dash Kit; “RoadMaster” Active Suspension; Lighted “Blue Oval” Logos – grill and tailgate; Remote Starter; Pilot Driving Lights; “Lund” Backdraft Tailgate Spoiler; …

Old 04-30-2001, 11:06 AM
Swampview: Cool! Don't forget to put them thru the washer/dryer a couple times before you use them. I wasn't too pleased the first time I used them. They seem to need a "break in" of sorts. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the more I use them, the better they seem to work.

Old 04-30-2001, 01:05 PM
Try using 100% terry cloth bath towels from Cannon or Fieldcrest. They work great for not only drying but also for wax jobs.

Remove the tags and border stiching and you are set!

Wal-mart has Cannon 100% American cotton towels on clearance for $3 a towel.

[This message has been edited by WYSIWYG (edited 04-30-2001).]

Old 04-30-2001, 01:28 PM
I have actually had good success using the California Water Blade to remove the majority of the water and then finishing with a 100% Cotton terry. After trying numerous things (including a chamois). While you might hear various points about the water blade -- I have had nothing but good success (no streaking, no spots, no scratches). My local Wal-mart sells the blade for under $20.

Old 04-30-2001, 09:36 PM
Talking

THANKS GUYS! Looks like I will be making a trip to Sears and Wal-Mart tommorrow! I just HOPE a good wax job will remove the current scratches!!!!

------------------
My F-150
  • XLT
  • Toreador Red
  • Super Crew
  • 4.6 Liter
  • v8
  • Xcelerator Muffler
  • Dual Exhaust (Y-PIPE)
  • 6" Chrome Tips
  • Vent Shades
  • GTS Headlight Covers
  • Flairside
  • Bugflector
    Pending
  • 3" P.A. Body Lift

Old 04-30-2001, 10:11 PM
2Dollar

I highly recommend that you visit www.autopia-carcare.com before buying wax products.

Lots of good info on the site and good tips for dealing with and minimizing scratches.

[This message has been edited by WYSIWYG (edited 04-30-2001).]

Old 05-01-2001, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

"The Absorber" is the best I've used. Dries the truck off fast,and no scratching. They are also available at Wal-Mart. Mine has lasted for two years already,I just wash it out every few dryings,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,too noisy
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Speedglo gauges w/carbon fiber overlay,might paint it black
Stillen Quad light air dam,with Pilot PL-240 driving lights
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm
On the waywheels,tires,Proglass shaker hood,new leather seat
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

I just "wish" it was lowered

Old 05-01-2001, 07:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyclone:
I have actually had good success using the California Water Blade to remove the majority of the water and then finishing with a 100% Cotton terry. After trying numerous things (including a chamois). While you might hear various points about the water blade -- I have had nothing but good success (no streaking, no spots, no scratches). My local Wal-mart sells the blade for under $20.

</font>

I agree the Water Blade is awsome. I also tried them all till I found the water blade, and it works the best.

Old 05-01-2001, 09:33 PM
Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 98SCREAMER:
"The Absorber" is the best I've used. Dries the truck off fast,and no scratching. They are also available at Wal-Mart. Mine has lasted for two years already,I just wash it out every few dryings,,,,98

</font>
YOUR RIGHT!!!!!!! Picked this up today (friend recommended it) at an Advanced Auto Parts Store! Cost $15.00 and it works GREAT!!!!!! Thanks everyone for their help!

------------------
My F-150
  • XLT
  • Toreador Red
  • Super Crew
  • 4.6 Liter
  • v8
  • Xcelerator Muffler
  • Dual Exhaust (Y-PIPE)
  • 6" Chrome Tips
  • Vent Shades
  • GTS Headlight Covers
  • Flairside
  • Bugflector
    Pending
  • 3" P.A. Body Lift

Old 05-02-2001, 10:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I suggested one to a guy in Wal Mart the other day,he was looking at all the drying implements
in the car washing aisle. He just gave me a funny look,and walked away. He must have been a Cavalier driver ,,,,,98
Thanks 2dollar

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,too noisy
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Speedglo gauges w/carbon fiber overlay,might paint it black
Stillen Quad light air dam,with Pilot PL-240 driving lights
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm
On the waywheels,tires,Proglass shaker hood,new leather seat
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

I just "wish" it was lowered

Old 05-02-2001, 11:40 AM
I use a large 100% cotton (make sure - cannon, fieldcrest) towel. I wet it first then wring it out. Then for the flat panels I fold it in half. Hold the corners where the two sides meet and drag toward me. I do this all the way across, wring then do again. On the sides I fold towel into a quarter of its size, hold with palm of my hand and dry using horizontal strokes. This tends to work well for me and have been doing it for years. Take a different dry 100% cotton towel and use on glass, door handles holes and anywhere else water likes to hide. I would not recommend the blower if you will be detailing it after, because of the grit/ dust that will be on your truck/ car.

Also, DON'T use the water blase. No matter what it says it WILL scratch your car. TINY pieces of grit can get between blade and finish and voila, you have a scratch.

------------------
ORDERED 4/16/01 - WOOHOO!!!
2001 F-150 Supercrew XLT 4wd. 5.4V8, 507A, 3.55LS, Captains chairs, bed extender, cab steps, power moonroof, power seat, skid plates, trlr towing, aluminum wheels, AM/FM cass with 6 cd changer. Bright red clearcoat with DARK graphite interior

IMMEDIATE MODS:
Wet Okole seat covers
Fox Weatherboots front and back
AR Baja's 16x8
Cooper A/T's 265/75/16
Tint front
Line-X
Ravin Z-55 Duals out the back
Lightening headlights, corners and tails

Old 05-02-2001, 05:07 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SCOOBY14B:
I use a large 100% cotton (make sure - cannon, fieldcrest) towel. I wet it first then wring it out. Then for the flat panels I fold it in half. Hold the corners where the two sides meet and drag toward me. I do this all the way across, wring then do again. On the sides I fold towel into a quarter of its size, hold with palm of my hand and dry using horizontal strokes. This tends to work well for me and have been doing it for years. Take a different dry 100% cotton towel and use on glass, door handles holes and anywhere else water likes to hide. I would not recommend the blower if you will be detailing it after, because of the grit/ dust that will be on your truck/ car.

Also, DON'T use the water blade. No matter what it says it WILL scratch your car. TINY pieces of grit can get between blade and finish and voila, you have a scratch.

</font>

------------------
ORDERED 4/16/01 - WOOHOO!!!
2001 F-150 Supercrew XLT 4wd. 5.4V8, 507A, 3.55LS, Captains chairs, bed extender, cab steps, power moonroof, power seat, skid plates, trlr towing, aluminum wheels, AM/FM cass with 6 cd changer. Bright red clearcoat with DARK graphite interior

IMMEDIATE MODS:
Wet Okole seat covers
Fox Weatherboots front and back
AR Baja's 16x8
Cooper A/T's 265/75/16
Tint front
Line-X
Ravin Z-55 Duals out the back
Lightening headlights, corners and tails

Quick Reply: DRYING???