How do you get that Deep Gloss????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do you get that Deep Gloss????

I just found out that i have Overspray Paint in my truck. The detailing shop suggested that they do the clay bar process and then do wax job. I heard that insurance will cover this because its in your "comprehensive", However,
the estimate i got was like around 1,500. Does anyone have or had this problem before?
How do you get that really deep wet Gloss on your truck? I have a Black F-150 xlt flareside, they said that it would take a lot of work cause there's a lot of swirl marks and the theres mist like overspray on my truck. Opinions would really help.

Old 05-18-2001, 03:53 PM
Thumbs down

Howdy M,

First find another detailing shop. Was your truck recently repainted, if so take it back to the shop and request that they rub it out for you. If not find a competent Independent paint shop and have them rub it out for you. Should not cost more than 200.00.

I have a friend who rubs out my truck once a year. He spends nearly four hours on it, when he's done the paint is very smooth and has a deep deep gloss to it. You could also do it yourself, although if you find someone who is competent with a wheel the end result will be significiant, especially with BLaCK!.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, Flareside, Black, SC, FOxFO, 5.4L, 4R70W TranZ, 3.55 Limited Slip Rear Axle, Garmin Street Pilot Color GPS, Bed Rug, ExTang Saber Tonno, CatchALL Floor Mat's, VentShade Visors, Limo BLaCK Tint'd Windows, PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs with XTra Technology, FLoWMaSTer 40 Series MuFF, Mobil 1 5W-30 and Motorcraft 820-S Filter, SuperFReaKiN - FLiPCHiP Cal'd for Regular and Premium FueL,

Soon..............

AiRaID FIPK, Expedition Front and Rear Sway Bars, F-1 HooD, P305/75/R17 BFG KO's, 3" Body LiFT

www.tnugent.com/

Old 05-18-2001, 04:27 PM
Hey L,

My truck was not Repainted. I bought new a year ago and still haven't got it waxed. Is the "Rub" the only solution to get your Truck really Glossy? I still have one more problem, getting rid of the Overspray paint...They said that they have to get rid of the Overspray first before they do the polishing and then the Wax. If they just put the Wax, The paint would end up looking dull.

Old 05-18-2001, 10:11 PM
Metallijade,

Sounds like you are starting to feel guilty about neglecting your baby.

Never Fear. Its not as hard as you think to get the black mirror shine. (even with overspray and junk in the paint). It will cost you less than $30 and 5 hours on a Saturday to do the job yourself. You can also buy a $20 wax detailer buffer at Walmart to help remove the wax if you are so inclined.

I'll share what I did to get a mirror black finish on my Black SuperCrew.

First thing I did was to clay bar the whole truck with Mothers Clay bar (after washing it by hand with a clear coat (CC) safe mitt and Dawn liquid soap twice) to get rid wax build up and any other crap that may have been in the paint. I rewashed with Dawn after clay bar as well. The paint felt smooth to the touch afterwards. Then I put on 2 coats of Mothers liquid Carnuba wax for clear coat.

Mothers makes a good product. I always hand wash with a CC safe wash mitt and Mothers car wash when I can. I only use Dawn when crud is on the paint and I plan to wax. The wash mitt is essential and makes the job quick, fast and painless (10-15 minutes to wash including wheels + 5 minutes to towel dry with 2 very soft terry towels). The trick with the mitt is that it is gentle on the paint because the "hairs" lift up and carry away dirt without rubbing the dirt back into the paint.

I recently switch from Mothers to Zaino products at http://www.zainobros.com . Although it was a little scary at first sending in a check and waiting for my order to arrive 2 weeks, I did get my order with some extra applicator pads in the box. I did the same steps as above with Zaino as well. Zaino is awesome and is excellent for/to black paint. Downside is if you use it, you can't really mix with other wax based products with out starting the process over. The exception to this is the use of real car wash without wax. Zaino's non-abrasive polish essentially builds up upon itself as you apply successive coats and gives you that "crystal wet black" look which you can only appreciate in person. Imagine a black mirror... But here is best part, nothing seems to stick to the paint!

Zaino is not cheap and is only available from the website but works very very well. Mothers products are more conventional wax products and do a great job too for less money.

------------------
2001 F-150 Supercrew 4X4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4L Triton(TM) V8
LT Grey Leather Captain's Chairs
Electronic AM/FM Premium Stereo
Cassette and 6-Disc CD Changer
Trailer Tow Group, Class III
3.55 Limited Slip Axle
Bed Extender
Cab Steps
Skid Plates
and Front License Plate Bracket

Mods: Full Metal Jacket (Ployurea Based) Spray-in Bed Liner. Its Awesome!
Info here: http://www.specialty-products.com/PDF/polyurea/FMJ.pdf
SuperChip
Ford Smoked BugShield
K&N FPIK GenII

Pictures of the Baby!!!

Old 05-18-2001, 10:42 PM
Thumbs up

Zaino has wonderful marketing. Good product. Good results. Expensive, but a fine shine. Excellent marketing. Yada Yada.
To each his own. I figure that the fellows who own expensive collectors cars and compete in concourse shows oughta know what they're doing too. So I use Blitz Wax. $20. I have a shine so deep, you want to go swimming. I use a clay bar after a good hand wash using two buckets. I also use a GLAZE. And my finish is sealed with a good acrylic protectant. I still haven't spent more than $35, and the product will last for about 16-18 months before I have to replace. I use my truck for work as well and you'd never know it. AND I've put my truck up against that Zaino shine more than once during a "tailgater" and the bud's are hard-pressed to tell the difference.
Look, everyone has a preference and they're all correct!
But you DON'T have to spend big money on the Name Of The Week to take care of your paint. You just have to know how.
Go here and check out some techniques the Pros use:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

------------------
01 Black SuperCrew; Airaid, Borla Split Rear, Line-X, Matched Tint windows. Black. Black. All Black.
-------------------
Blaupunkt "Munchen" HU; JL Audio Stealthbox, DiamondAudio M551 components, Kicker Impulse coax (rear), RF250a and Kicker 350xi amps

Old 05-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Metallijade

Chck out www.autopia-carcare.com.
Good information.

I use Blitz wax and it's great.
Inexpensive--12.99 at www.tacscar.com.

Zaino is a very good product. If you want more info on Zaino from real users, check out
www.corevetteforum.com

I encourgage you to visit autopia-carcare.com.
You'll get feedback from Zaino and Blitz users, along with great tips on claying, removing swirls, etc.

Do the job yourself--it's the only way to make sure that it's done right!

Old 05-21-2001, 07:50 PM
Sundog7, you mentioned you use a glaze and "good acrylic protectant" along with your Blitz Wax. What are the names of the products you use, and what is the order in which you use them? Thanks.

Old 05-23-2001, 12:05 AM
The acrylic protectant is an Erazer product. I purchased mine from autofanatics.com at the same time I purchased the One Grand Glaze and Blitz Wax, Erazer clay bar, Clay lubricant and other sundry bits.
Acrylic protectant doesn't need replenishment very often; maybe twice yearly, but i regularly clean my truck so I'm sure that makes a diff. But like most folks, I start by stripping the finish completely. This means Dawn or Ivory dishwashing liquid. I wash again using a regular "wax friendly" soap to remove any residues.
Acrylic first. Buff out. Wax. Glaze.
Between washes, the occasional spritz with something like Meguiars "Final Inspection" or like product is fine.
I generally wax/glaze again after two or three washes. There's no danger of salt here, but the dust is pretty bad sometimes. I play it by ear and use the clay as necessary. I'm always gently checking my hood with the backs of my fingers for any telltale grit.
Some may think I spend a lot of time, but I don't....Only because it's all on "automatic".
My finish is flawless. (knock wood) I'm wary of well-intentioned folks who want to get a close look. (Watch that belt buckle there, buddy!)
You'll find most of this info on that Autopia site reference above. Good info.

Old 05-23-2001, 12:07 AM
<eom> delete duplicate

[This message has been edited by sundog7 (edited 05-23-2001).]

Old 05-23-2001, 07:03 PM
OVERSPRAY - If there is not a lot of overspray, simply use some NON ACETONE nail polish remover. GENTLY rub with cotton *****. After receiving my truck, freshly painted, from the shop - it had lots of overspray. Before I took it back to the shop, we did the nail polish thing and it took it right off. Then, of course, proceed with regular washing and waxing.

Quick Reply: How do you get that Deep Gloss????