Newbie Car Wash Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Newbie Car Wash Question.

I just bought a Screw and I want to take proper care of it. How often should I plan to wash it. This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and I want to keep it looking good, however, I don't want to spend my life washing the truck. I live in a townhouse and the truck will be outside virtually all the time.

Thanks,

John

Old 05-24-2001, 02:04 AM
Welcome to F150online. Well if I was you I would try to was every 1-2 weeks with a good car wash soap (not dishsoap as it will strip the wax). I prefer the two bucket (one with soap, one plain to rinse the mitt in) method with a large wash mitt. I use bug-z to remove any bug splatters in this process. One washed I use an Absorber drying cloth. Then in between washing I use a California car duster to keep the dust off. Waxing is whole different post. Not enough time to explain. Here's what mine looks like when done.

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed, 3.55LS rear axle, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests
Sylvania Cool Blue Bulbs, Ford logo hitch and license plate, tinted windows, blackouts front and rear(w/ford logos on front blackouts),ventvisors all around, painted logos on door sills and under hood, 55w backup lights, K&N Filter, custom 4x4 emblems, cup holder/LED mod, 99 F150 Triton V8 emblems, and much more to come

[This message has been edited by KYFordFreak (edited 05-24-2001).]

Old 05-24-2001, 08:44 AM
Thumbs up

I use two buckets as well, JohnRam. I don't want any grit gettting rubbed back onto my baby, either!!
Checkout these two sites for excellent care tips (and
products)
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
http://www.autofanatics.com/carcarecorner1.html
Find a good wax, glaze, spot cleaner (for light, spot cleaning between washes) and clay bar. Throw away all your rags and get either 100% terry or cloth baby diapers instead.
Now's the time to start fresh!

------------------
01 Black SuperCrew; Airaid, Borla Split Rear, Line-X, Matched Tint windows. Black. Black. All Black.
-------------------
Blaupunkt "Munchen" HU; JL Audio Stealthbox, DiamondAudio M551 components, Kicker Impulse coax (rear), RF250a and Kicker 350xi amps

Old 05-24-2001, 05:02 PM
Last fall, the cheerleaders at our local high school were having a car wash to raise some money. I took my very dirty truck in and walked away while they were washing it. After a few minutes I turned around. They were rubbing this nasty, filthy, muddy mitt all over my truck. They had hardly sprayed it down and I saw no sign of soap. I ran back over there and kindly told their sponsor that the girls needed some lessons in washing cars to avoid ruining paint jobs.
I said, "here's my $5.00 donation and I'll give you another $5.00 to get thoses girls the hell away from my truck!"

Old 05-24-2001, 05:10 PM
John, Congratulations on the new truck. As was said above, use a car wash soap not Dish soap to aviod removing the wax. I just finished waxing my truck with Zaino Brothers following their directions and it is the best stuff I have ever used in my 30 years of owning and being **** about my cars. I use their Car Wash to wash mine weekly. It's black so it requires a little extra effort to keep looking sharp. I took some pictures this morning and will get them posted with the results. Stunning!!!

Here's the links to my truck and to Zano Brothers. Good luck.
http://barefootskier.f150online.net/index.html

http://www.zainobros.com/index.shtml

------------------
2001 S'Crew 4X4 Black with Silver two tone.
Mods:
Wagg Grill Guard
A.R.E. LSII Topper
Westin Black Nerf Bars
Factory Bed Liner
Love this truck!!

Old 05-24-2001, 05:53 PM
Alf
I just tried the Rain X car wash and I think it's amazing. Wash and rinse, almost no hand drying. Thought you guys would like to know.

Alf

Old 05-25-2001, 08:08 AM
I wash mine once a week whether it needs it or not because where I live we have alot of dust and pollen this time of year. I use Meguires products exclusively and I just bought the Absorber at Walmart this past week to dry the truck off.

Ron

Old 05-25-2001, 06:38 PM
start with the wheels and tires then move to the body. I recommend using a squeige to get most of the water off and then a cloth diaper or REAL chamois. Dont use the chamois for anything but body and windows, because if you use it on your wheels, there is a pretty good chance it will get grease on it. Once it is there, it never comes off. $20 down the drain. Black magic tire dressing and interior dressing is what I use. It is the pooh! lasts and looks sweet. hope this helps

CJ

Quick Reply: Newbie Car Wash Question.