Youngin' needs some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Youngin' needs some advice

Washed my truck today... finally stopped raining here in ATL. Anyways, I am seeing a spider-web shine in the paint. Is this normal?

Also... I used Turtle Wax a few months back. I am noticing some buildup on the xtra cab doors. Can I remove this and with what?

Thanks in advance. I am very naive to the auto detailing aspects of these trucks.

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC: just came off the lease, goodies coming soon...

My Truck Page

Old 05-31-2001, 03:45 PM
Cool

ugh. turtle wax. chuck it, Clear55. Or give it to a Chevy owner. Most of their line is absolute drek.
Check this out:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
Excellent site. Lots of info. You'll come to your own conclusions very soon after going thru it.
As you read this forum, you'll notice that most of the guys are using Zaino, Blitz or Meguiar's products. Obviously there are others, but when this many owners use the above products as a trend, that should tell you a lot.
Check this out too:
http://www.autofanatics.com/carcarecorner1.html
I've purchased product from this place before. Good stuff. Quick shipping.

------------------
01 Black SuperCrew; Airaid, Borla Split Rear, Line-X, Matched Tint windows. Black. Black. All Black.
-------------------
Blaupunkt "Munchen" HU; JL Audio Stealthbox, DiamondAudio M551 components, Kicker Impulse coax (rear), RF250a and Kicker 350xi amps

Old 05-31-2001, 09:45 PM
sundog7,

Thanks for the informative response! I've also heard a lot of good things about the Zaino stuff from other places myself. Can I purchase this stuff at an Auto Zone like place, or is it special order wax?

Thanks again!

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC
- 4.6L
- Raven Z55

Old 05-31-2001, 10:30 PM
Mail order only. Here:
http://www.zainobros.com/index.shtml
But it gets pricey. I have excellent results with Blitz wax and Meguiars Gloss products, all over an acrylic paint sealer from Erazer (who make a clay bar). My buddy swears by Zaino, but at a "tailgater" at the stadium last fall, some other bud's couldn't tell which of our trucks had the Zaino shine. So, like I said, there's good product out there, not just Zaino. The best results come from proper preparation and application.

Old 06-01-2001, 05:38 PM
I have been a car detailing freak for years. I mean toothpick and tooth brush freak. recently I tried believe it or not Formula 2000 car wax. I know...it's made by Turtle Wax, but it was very easy to apply. Made sure paint was cool. Just applied it with a damp T-shirt. It's liquid not paste. It buffed extremely easy as well. Incredible shine...Like a mirror. And my truck is black. No swirls or streaks or build up or anything. Just my .02.

Old 06-01-2001, 11:12 PM
2winturbo,

Thanks for the tip! If it would just stop raining here long enough for me to get a wash AND a good wax done, I would be able to try it out.

On a side note... what is this "clay bar" and what does it do?

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC
- 4.6L
- Raven Z55

Old 06-01-2001, 11:19 PM
Clay bar removes imbedded contaminents from your finish: brake dust, road grit, etc. But you've got to do it regularly, because these things break down in your paint and eventually cause permanent damage. Clays are used -- carefully -- after your wash and before your waxing, etc. If you keep up with it, you probably won't have to clay everytime you wash. I don't. Maybe every other to every 2 washes. I'm always feeling my hood with the backs of my fingers. If I feel the telltale "splinters", I know it's time to clay.
That Autopia site has a blurb about using clays. You might also want to check this out:
http://www.erazer.com/contamin.htm

Old 06-01-2001, 11:53 PM
sundog7,

Seems like an important piece of cleaning equipment if it works as advertised. Any way to get this stuff other then online? By the way, thanks for the link. It was pretty interesting.

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC
- 4.6L
- Raven Z55

Old 06-02-2001, 12:36 AM
Theclear55,

there is a guy up here in Suwanee that sells it for the same price as you can get it on the website, but it may be too much of a drive for you.

As for the "spider webbing", you'll have to fix those before you do anything else. I would recommend 3M Perfect-it II swirl mark remover first. It is pretty mild though. If not try 3M finesse-it II. It is more aggresive. After that get a good quality system going. Zaino has a swirl filler (Z5) but it only fills the swirls and doesnt cut them out.

After you get rid of the swirls go with good stuff like Zaino (you'll need Z1 (polish lok), Z5 (swirl filler) and Z2 (actual polish). Also get a good quality clay (Zaino or my favorite clay magic). Also a good quality quick detailer. Zaino recommends their own (Z16) between coats. Wash with blue label dawn first to help get rid of any leftover wax.

I use KLASSE. It is a two product system. All in one is a cleaner. Then use the glaze 1-3 times. It is sometimes difficult to remove if you use too much. Get a bottle of Meguires Final inspection QD (non-carnuaba) for aid in removal. Then top with a good quality wax (BLITZ). Use 100% cotton CANNON towels or microfiber towels. Use a good wash mit and maintain well.

------------------
ORDERED 4/16/01 - WOOHOO!!!
Built 5/14/01
Shipped 5/15/01
Delivered to dealer- 5/23/01
Accepted - 5/25/01
2001 F-150 Supercrew XLT 4wd. 5.4V8, 507A, 3.55LS, Captains chairs, bed extender, cab steps, power moonroof, power seat, skid plates, trlr towing, aluminum wheels, AM/FM cass with 6 cd changer. Bright red clearcoat with DARK graphite interior, 265/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S tires

MODS:
Wet Okole seat covers
Fox Weatherboots front and back
Lightning headlights, corners and tails (they look great on red)

FUTURE MODS:
Ravin Z-55 duals out the rear
LINE-X liner
front tint

Old 06-02-2001, 12:43 AM
SCOOBY14B,

Thanks for the info! Looks like I have a lot more in store then first thought. Perhaps it would be easier, and cheaper, to just buy a new truck

By the way... anyone got a winning lottery ticket they don't want? Thanks again for all the good advice!

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC
- 4.6L
- Raven Z55

Old 06-02-2001, 12:50 AM
SCOOBY14B,

Thanks again! I just noticed looking at your signature that I spelled Ravin wrong. Doh! When are you gettin that exhaust put on? You are gonna love it!

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC
- 4.6L
- Ravin Z55 Duals
"Loud and Proud"

Old 06-02-2001, 12:56 AM
Just my opinon but for what you will pay for all of the products to remove the "spider webbing" and then polish, seal, and wax your truck you might save money and time by contacting a qualified detailer. It will take hours (several) to cut out the marks, polish the finish, seal the finish, and then put on a final wax even if you have a buffing machine. A detailer in my area charges about $50-60 to do this. Just something to think about after you see the cost of the materials and add in for your time.

------------------
'96 F-150 302
Hedman Hedders, Catco Cat., Gibson Super Truck, K&N F.I.P.K.

Old 06-02-2001, 01:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I only clayed my truck once two years ago.
I've kept it washed and waxed since then,and it's still slick as glass. good luck with the finish,55,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT 4x2 Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
Yep,it has alot of stuff installed on it,I just got sick of lugging that huge sig. around,hehe
Come and see my newest pictures@ www.my-f150.com

Everything is shown there,except for the Superchip,Thanks Mike T!!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Now,if it only looked like this in real life

Old 06-02-2001, 01:18 AM
98SCREAMER,

Thanks for the kind words. By the way, love the ZZ Top gif. Having lived in Texas, you gotta stay true to your Texas rock bands.

Fadex: good idea. it does seem like a lot of work. and 50-60 aint bad. Thanks!

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC
- 4.6L
- Ravin Z55 Duals
"Loud and Proud"

[This message has been edited by TheClear55 (edited 06-02-2001).]

Old 06-02-2001, 08:35 AM
Cool

Here is my method for washing, polishing and waxing: I use meguiars products for my black paint. I start by washing thoroughly with the meguiars soft gel wash using a wash mitt and two buckets. One with the soap and the other with the rinse water. Clean one section at a time and rinse the mitt before you apply more suds. When you rinse it off with the hose, do not spray, but let water just flow over paint from the top to the bottom. This helps with water spots. Then I dry using 100% cotton terry towels (tags and border cut off).

For polishing (which is the key for the wet look) I use meguiars mirror glaze-show car glaze #7, and for the final step I use meguiars Gold Class wax. To apply both products I spray the application pad with meguiars quick detailer spray first to help spread the polish and wax more evenly and easier. The key for no swirls or spiderwebs is to use back and forth, NOT circular motions when applying, drying or removing polish and wax from paint. I polish and wax about once every 2 months and the whole process takes about 6 hours. Hard work but the results are incredible!!

------------------
My SCrew:
Gen III, 2001 SuperCrew Lariat, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55 Limited Slip, Black Exterior, Med Graphite Leather Captians Chairs with "BUN Warmers", Sliding Rear Window, Power Moonroof, Class III Trailer Tow Group, Skid Plates, Bed Extender, 6 Disc CD...

<A HREF="http://161.58.110.81/supercrew.htm" TARGET=_blank> </A>

[This message has been edited by HuskerScrew (edited 06-02-2001).]

Quick Reply: Youngin' needs some advice