Meg's Ultimate Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meg's Ultimate Wax?

I purchased a bottle of Meg's Ult Wax at Walmart this past monday. I plan to use it on my '11 STX, '11 Fusion and '94 Gen 1 L.
I have applied two coats of Meg's Red Bottle Carnauba to my STX and Fusion since their purchase on 12/30/10. The wax isn't holding up to the spring climate as much as I'd hoped. I've used their Carnauba and NXT 2.0 in the past but thought it was time for something a little better.

I will apply the Ult Wax using my DA. What's the consensus on a topcoat? Paste or Liquid Carnauba? Hand or DA applied? Brand? Preferably something I can pick up at ADS or Autogeek and doesn't break the bank.

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:18 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
From what I understand, Ultimate Wax is pretty much an improved NXT. You may not even need a topcoat - but if you do use one, I'd think any quality pure carnauba with no cleaners or fillers would be fine.

Simply from an ease of maintenance standpoint, what I'd probably do is see what the Ultimate looks like when you are done - if it looks good, you are done. To maintain it, I'd use the spray Ultimate Quik Wax after every wash job. You can get that at Wallyworld.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
From what I understand, Ultimate Wax is pretty much an improved NXT. You may not even need a topcoat - but if you do use one, I'd think any quality pure carnauba with no cleaners or fillers would be fine.

Simply from an ease of maintenance standpoint, what I'd probably do is see what the Ultimate looks like when you are done - if it looks good, you are done.

glc,

These are pretty much my thoughts. I performed a search but didn't come up with many Ultimate Wax threads. I have already used the Ult QD a few times. I'm hoping for no rain this weekend.

Blue

Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM
i have tried the ultimate wax and i really like the nxt better i have used it on 2 vehicles and the nxt seems to hold up better.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
There are a lot of threads on UW over on MOL (mequiars online). I bought a bottle of UW liquid and am anxiously waiting for time and weather to apply it.

From what i've read, make sure you allow 12 hours between the UW application and the Carnuba. Same as with NXT, I don't know why, but my personal preference is to apply my synthetic sealant (UW in this case) by DA and then apply the Carnuba the next day by hand. Maybe I'm worried about effecting the Sealant application or something, but I find most carnuba's apply super easy anyway. I'm a fan of Mother's pure Carnuba Paste.
I haven't done it yet with UW, but have done it a few times with NXT and it seems to work well.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
put down a coat of paint sealant wax first, then carnauba on top.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I have already used the Ult QD a few times.
I'm suggesting Ult QW, not QD.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM
1st coat of Meg's Ult Wax

glc,

I've used the Ult QD but haven't taken the time to try out the Ult QW. I keep a bottle of Meg's QW, QD and Stoner's Invisible Glass in my truck at all times.

I had a chance to lay down a first coat of Ultimate Wax using my Meg's DA with the black finishing pad. Only minor prep was used. Wash, dry, QD, spot touch-up with Scratch X 2.0, smooth surface - no clay bar needed.

First impressions:

1. Creamy, same consistancy as Meg's Swirl X, great smell, reminds me of Cavindesh pipe tobacco.
2. Goes on easy, same as NXT 2.0, used 1/4 to 1/3 of a bottle.
3. Extremely difficult to remove. The thicker the coat, the easier it was to remove. I used the black Meg's MF and two additional MF towels. I started at the front and went around the drivers side and ended up at the pass front side. Then applied to top of the cab. I followed the same route with the 3 MF towels. The weather was 76* F and low humidity. Applied in half shade/half sun. I've used 2 separate bottles of NXT 2.0 and it always wiped off with ease. I intentionally applied a light coat to the Sctratch X touch-up areas and it was difficult to remove.
4. Great reflectivity.
5. Doesn't have the depth or richness of carnauba.
6. Easy to remove from black handles and rubber door molding. Left the rubber door molding looking brand new.
7. Wipes off of glass with no effort.

I plan on laying down a second coat of Ult Wax. I will top that off with a thin coat of carnauba. Then, I will use the Ult QD and Ult QW to keep it looking good. I will report back on the Ult Wax durability. The NXT 2.0 usually lasts about 3 months in the local AR climate. A paper mill within 50 miles, an AF Base and Airport within 20 miles, plus a high Alklyd content in the tap water.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 04-14-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: content
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 PM
I noticed a very light haze on the hood this morning. I will go over it with some QD at lunch.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Blown F-150
There are a lot of threads on UW over on MOL (mequiars online). I bought a bottle of UW liquid and am anxiously waiting for time and weather to apply it.

Sorry, I was actually referring to the F150online site. I've visited the Meg's website on numerous occasions and read till my eyes were bloodshot.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:40 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...ult-wax-1.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...ult-wax-2.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...ult-wax-3.html

Sorry for the links to my Album. I'm taking a break at work and my New Office PC isn't playing nice to say the least. I let the Ult Wax cure for about 14 hours and gently wiped it down with Meg's QD. I took it to the local Walmart parking lot and snapped a few pics with my cell phone.

The haze is completely gone and the paint is finally showing some depth. I am definitely impressed with the brilliance factor. The QD was super easy to wipe off in the shade. The paint has a mirror gloss to it when looking over the hood from inside the cab.

The trailing edge of the hood, just above the fresh air cowl, has a Prizm effect to it in certain angles of sunlight. It's similar to the Prizm effect letters on the UW box/bottle or the Lightning Bolt on my Gen. 1 Lightning.

I will update on the durability and up keep the next several weeks. I only hope the next application is easier to remove than the first one was.

Blue

Last edited by Blue07STX; 04-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Blown F-150

Sorry, I was actually referring to the F150online site. I've visited the Meg's website on numerous occasions and read till my eyes were bloodshot.
Sorry...wouldn't it be easier to just click the quote button than copying and pasting and italicizing everything?

Quick Reply: Meg's Ultimate Wax?