ham radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so can I use it to communicate with my wife from my truck let's say two, three, four hundred miles away while she is at home?

What type of course work do you study? Atmospheric conditions, tech stuff, or do's and don'ts.

Joe

Old 06-14-2001, 04:26 PM
JOE
the best thing to do is to visit a local radio club. i am sure there is one near you. also you can get the books you would need at radio shack. there are several different class's of lic. and end types of radio's from world wide to local repeters. slow scan tv- to satilites. you could probably talke to you wife on the road and at work -the possibilites are just about endless. not to sound funny but most of the technology you see today hams were playing with tears ago. go to a club and try it - its not for everyone but if it is for you - you will be in for a real great hobby.

------------------
99' F150 LARIAT S/C WOOD DASH -5.4---3.73'S AIRFORCE 1, AMSOIL, OFFROAD EQUIP GROUP, TOW PACKAGE ,TECH STYLE TONNEAU,

. pic atwww.f150world/las52/

Old 06-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Cool

Here in NW Iowa, my wife (she is a ham operator, as well: KB0NEP) communicate all the time from home to auto, auto to auto, etc. We have radios in all 3 of our cars, in our lakehouse, and at home.

We are able to keep in touch at all times and with repeaters for distances up to 100 miles or more. The radios work fine without repeater help for appx. 20 miles.

Don't know how we would get along without ham radio in our lives now that we've been "spoiled."

------------------
2000 F150 Harley-Davidson: Superchip, K&N FIPK
Hard Tonneau, Hidden Hitch, 2-Meter Rig (KG0UK)
Motorcycles: '99 FLHRCI, '95 XLH, '65 305 Dream

Old 06-14-2001, 11:17 PM
This month is the perfect time to 'check out' Ham Radio.

Each year on the 4th full weekend in June Hams in the U.S. hold what's called "Field Day" which is a 30 hour period of test and contest of radio operation under 'field' conditions.

Look in your local newspaper for news of your local club's Field Day effort -- as it is specifically intended to bring attention to Ham Radio via open attendance (invitation) to the public at large.

This means: You are hereby invited to attend and even take part -- but it's up to you to 'find us'.

Check out our club's web page at http://www.qsl.net/w8vy/ -- and check out the American Radio Relay League's web page at http://www.arrl.org/ for more than you'd ever need to know about Ham Radio.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 06-15-2001, 07:34 PM
joe

y2k hit it- thats a great idea about field day. and the links --cant believe i forgot the ARRL .

Quick Reply: ham radio