Clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clay bar

I've seen alot of you folks referencing the use of a clay bar to prep the surface of the paint. WHAT IS IT......I have never heard of this item. Is it like a polishing compound? How do you use it? I'm getting ready to put down my first coat of wax on my baby this week and I want to do things right.

Thanks
Don

------------------
2001 F150 SC 2X4
Arizona Beige
Short Box
5.4L
3.55 LS
Captain's Chairs
Power Seats
Sliding Rear Window
Tow Package
Herculiner Bed-liner
Bug Shield
Hard ARE Tonnaeu Cover
1.01 soon to be 1.42 Radiator

[This message has been edited by dnaber (edited 06-18-2001).]

Old 06-18-2001, 03:54 PM
Try doing a search on Clay Bars in this forum and you'll find lots of descriptions and ways to use it.

Old 06-18-2001, 11:28 PM
Lightbulb

Try this, dnaber.
http://www.erazer.com/
Nice info on paint contamination and about how clay's work. I use the erazer product and like it, but there are other brands out there.
I keep my truck washed and waxed regularly and I only need to use the clay maybe every other time I wash. If you're keeping your ride clean, it's nothing you're going to need to use a great deal. I'm always checking my hood with the back of my fingers to see if there are any "splinters"....meaning it's time to clay.

------------------
01 Black SuperCrew 5.4; Airaid, Borla Split Rear, Line-X, Matched Tint windows. Black. Black. All Black.
-------------------
Blaupunkt "Munchen" HU; JL Audio Stealthbox, DiamondAudio M551 components, Kicker Impulse coax (rear), RF250a and Kicker 350xi amps

Old 06-19-2001, 11:20 PM
Cool

When you bought your baby did you see the white cars on the dealers lot with nasty black soot all over the paint? Well that road and rail grime is embedded into the paint. Just as it is very visible on white trucks it equally blemishes black paint. Washing and most cleaner waxes will not remove it completely. That is where clay bar products come in. Clay bar is a micro-fine cleansing bar that must be used properly with lubricant to remove this crud. Much like a jewelers' rouge.
After claybar proper polishes are a must.
I've use all kinds and without question the finest, easiest to use and most economical are Zaino products. www.zainobros.com
Sal's website will educate the unknowing on just how to polish a car for the show class.
I used these products exclusively on my Corvette C5 with fantastic results.
I don't sell the stuff but I'm picking up a fresh supply to clean up my new Supercrew the weekend.

Old 07-04-2001, 12:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a white truck and its getting harder and harder to keep it looking clean I been a wash and go kind of guy on everything I owned but it looks like I'll have to start waxing and using a clay bar if I want my truck looking brand new.

Old 07-04-2001, 01:46 PM
I posted on clay bars last year sometime. I used one on my truck and wife's black Miata. It worked GREAT!!!!!!! I recommend using one PER vehicle. It was wasted mid way through the car. Luckily, I used to detail cars, so I got a high speed buffer and orbital buffer recently, and use them. I high speed them both once a year and use the orbital to wax them 2 or 3 times a year. HJere in FL, the wax doesn't last terribly long with the heat. I use nothing but Meguire's wax and buffing compounds.

Old 07-09-2001, 10:42 AM
Slapshot.
Just curious, what do you mean by "wasted"? When I was detailing 2-3 cars per weekend I could get a clay bar to last about six months before it started to lose consistency; about the only thing I did to it was wipe it off after every section of the car I was doing (door, hood, etc.) and then clean it before I put it away.

Old 07-10-2001, 10:19 AM
When I was almost done with the truck, it was in rough shape. Was falling apart. I forget what brand I used, but I will be more careful selecting one if I need to use one again. I prefer the buffing over the manual labor. LOL

Quick Reply: Clay bar