"Spiderwebs" on the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry "Spiderwebs" on the hood

They've been poping up, just on the hood, now for months, tiny white marks that when you look at them closely, look like spiderwebs. I've try'd waxing the heck out of them, but it doesn't seem to help. Anybody have a clue as to what causes them or how else to get rid of them?

Old 07-08-2001, 09:54 PM
Have no idea what causes them. Try a clay bar on the hood. That should take them off. If that fails try a very fine abrasive. I'd start with Meguiars swirl remover. Just my .02 Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2001, 10:31 AM
The Swirl Remover (#9) should do the trick, followed by your favorite wax.

Old 07-13-2001, 05:28 AM
This is just a temporary fix but the ship stick in the Color Cure wax seem to hide mine pretty good. I filled in some scratchs about 2 months ago with that stick and the wax was still there (filling the scratch) yesterday when I checked. I have tried all sorts of componds on them. I would like to have a new crowl hood or at least mine repainted.

Old 07-13-2001, 11:35 AM
Try a clay bar or get it high speed buffed. Usually that takes some kind of abrasive wax to remove completely. Start light and work your way up, it is easier on the clearcoat. It probably will come back over time, but once you find something that works for you, it is easy to remove.

Old 07-14-2001, 10:50 AM
I also had spidering on my hood, I noticed it the day I brought the truck home and when I took it back they tried to buff it out at the dealer body shop with horrible results, long story short they repainted the hood and it looks great, 7 months later and still no problems..

Old 07-24-2001, 09:39 PM
MY TRUCK IS LIKE THAT ALL OVER AND I BROUGHT IT TO A AUTO BODY AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS THE PAINT CRACKING AND IT WOULD NEED TO BE STRIPPED DOWN TO BARE METAL AND REPAINTED. A GUY I WORK WITH WORKED IN A AUTOBODY FOR 7 YEARS AND TOLD ME THE SAME THING. IT IS A BLACK TRUCK WITCH MAKES IT LOOK HORRIBLE. BUT DID YOU HAVE ANY LUCK WITH THE ABRASIVES? IF SO TELL ME SO I CAN TRY IT

Old 07-24-2001, 11:10 PM
I've seen that happen on vehicles that have been shot with a light clear-coat on poorly-prepared surfaces -- like where a used-car lot 'details' the vehicle prior to sale -- but only does it half-assed.

Old 08-14-2001, 02:10 PM
happened to mine too. noticed them on the hood when I bought it. they had to repaint the hood. then noticed them on the top of cab about 7mos later. havent tried anything yet, just have lived with it. cant see it up there

Quick Reply: "Spiderwebs" on the hood