Best Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good 'ol Turtle Wax "Zip Wax" w/ a few drops of Griot's Garage "Best of Show" liquid carnuba wax mixed in. I use two big buckets, a sheepskin wash mitt, and terry cotton towels to dry. I rinse often and avoid that nasty direct sunlight! I just wish I could find someone to do as thorough a job as me. I'm accepting applications!

Old 08-10-2001, 05:40 PM
Just purchased the Mother's 3 phase system along with their premium wash. Will let everyone know how well this works. Cleaning up my '95 Ranger to sell, then will try it out on the new SuperCrew. My Dad uses Meguire's on his show truck. It looks pretty nice as well.

mindbent

Old 08-11-2001, 01:55 PM
Thumbs up

Mother's worked great! Blended out the swirl marks and cleaned up a few small scratches and dulled a few larger ones. My '95 Ranger almost looks new again!

I used their Premium wash, the 3 Phase System and their Tire Dressing Kit. Took me about 4 hours total to complete. Put two coats of wax on the hood and it looks sweet.

mindbent

Old 08-23-2001, 12:58 AM
Hey guys, don't fall into the trap of thinking that a sudsy wash bucket means that there is a lot of soap in the wash product. A lot of manufacturers add sudsing agents just to make a mild soap very foamy and sudsy. Check out how much sudsing difference there is between hand dishwashing soap, laundry soap, and machine dishwasher soap and compare it to the strength of the soap. Laundry soap is pretty mild and it foams like crazy in the machine while the dishwasher soap is quite strong and doesn't foam at all.

The cleaning action comes when the soap molecules allow the water molecules to chemically bond to the oil or dirt and carry them away. The suds are just a visible indicator that the soap is changing the surface tension of the water - the suds don't really provide any cleaning action by themselves. The dishwasher soaps add a DEfoaming agent to keep the suds from "starving" the pump yet they are still strong enough to scour dirty greasy dishes.

I worked with a guy who made car wash equipment and he would tell me about the coin-op car washes that would add sudsing agents instead of soap to the wash tanks because it was cheaper. The customers would think they were getting a good wash because of all the "soapy" foam! You can have soap without the foam and you can have foam without any soap. Let the buyer beware!

Last edited by InfernalCombustion; 08-23-2001 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Car Wash?