It was fun...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a little bummed that people think they're not good enough for the Cafe. It's not meant to be like that at all. Though many of the more active members are perfectly capable of getting the end results they're after, even they're still learning constantly. Without new members and detailing "noobs" (always disliked that word) it really can't be what it's capable of being. Sharing and helping. That's what it's about. I think I can speak on behalf of most of the members when I say we enjoy helping whenever we get the chance. I love when a member gets an answer to a question that he/she had or was struggling with and turns around and achieves their goal. That used to be what this place was like. I appreciate the vendors posting up their sales. I appreciate the discounts they provide to members. What I most appreciate, is when vendors take the time to answer questions, give advice, comment on other peoples work. Like 2Stroked, I'd be much more willing to purchase from someone who takes the time to interact with members in a way not directly advertising products to them. There are two notable members/vendors at the Cafe who contribute on the "member" level rather than the "vendor" level and I'd like to think it's benefited them just as much as the rest of us.

I hope in the future people aren't too hesitant to stop by the Cafe and say hi and ask for help or just share some of their work.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if the advertisers read any of this post. Nah.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Post deleted as apparently I'm a moron.

Last edited by glc; 07-07-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM
My pure guess would be the mods do care, but since they don't set policy there is nothing they can do about it,.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I would agree

Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 AM
I just recently added "Adblock Plus" and it's own extension to Firefox...it works amazing for all of those ads in the margins on most any forum.

That's a start I guess, lol.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The fact that I still haven't received a response, and the fact that none of the mods or the admin have bothered to post in this thread, definitely tells me that they could care less. Oh well.
You're right... we give of our time and don't care. Amazing that you, of all people, would even offer a speculatory opinion of such moronic proportions.

I, often times, don't come in here simply because of my change in focus... the site, for me, is a larger scale thing. When I was a moderator, I could focus more in on individual threads, forums, and helping individuals. Now, more so, I'm helping new members become aquainted with the site, helping folks get signed up, and generally helping with the promotion of our community. It's a different focus as an admin.

While I **DID** receive your note, I saw no reason to respond as it was more of an opinionated note versus one that requested data, offered feasible avenues of change, or generally contributed to something pertaining to the site where I had general power of change.

As the site admin, I do run the site... but, the advertising is what keeps the site running. Keep in mind, this is a business and the business is the sale of advertising, generally. The inclusion of more advertising is something that you're going to see on our site; it's just how it is. Advertising, frankly, is nothing new here -- it's been that way for a long time; since conception, in fact.

Yes, there are more ads. Yes, they distract at times. Yes, I'd like less but, the fact is that nearly ANY SITE that you visit (be in LLBean or another truck forum) will have some level of 'in your face' advertising. It is the web paradigm and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

-RP-

Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM
If your referring to threads started by sponsors advertising specials, I agree it's annoying to have to sift through all those threads to get actual info as well.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I did mention the ads on the side, but I found a solution to those. However, the advertising threads...8 out of the 10 new threads for me this visit, were "buy our stuff" threads.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I wonder if the advertisers read any of this post. Nah.
Every word of it actually, wasn't gonna say anything, but it seems worse recently... but if you'll also notice I'm not the one spamming the hell out of this section. I'd have to agree with many here that it is a bit overwhelming...
I chime in where I feel I can be of assistance and post sales when they're relevant.

FWIW the forums layout and ownership are partly to blame. On MOST sites we sponsor and participate on each vendor is provided with their own sub-section. All ads, specials, promos, etc are kept in that specific area only, then in the general detailing section vendors are welcome to participate, answer questions, etc, but not start new 'spam' threads.

Last edited by Adam's Polishes; 07-13-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I will agree with that... the sites I see, it is a separate section. Never dawned on me until now

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a supporting vendor's subsection would be a good idea.

Quick Reply: It was fun...