It was fun...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was fun...

Right now about 25% of the posts are from actual "members". Around 75% of the posts are nothing but ads from sponsors. Ads to the left, ads to the right... and now even a vast majority of the content here is.... ads.

Personally, I think I've about had it. A website should be able to make money. But when ads far outweigh actual information/content well, there is simply no reason to stick around.

Given the number of posts from members here I'd say I'm not alone in leaving. It's been a good 4 years. Thanks.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
See Ya !!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ads suck but if it keeps the site free then thats what we have to deal with

Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I sent the admin a PM about this about a month and a half ago and haven't had the courtesy of a reply. This is no longer a viable detailing forum.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not like there is a limit how much members can post. The Care & Detailing section doesn't get that much activity outside of the sponsers, who are paying to post. How often does a member start a thread in this forum anyways? Every couple of days, once a week?

tcope, maybe you should be starting more threads? You started a similar thread to this one back in February, so you can't really count that as contributing much to this forum. So your last real thread was started in November, not of last year, but 2009. Are you really upset that sponsers are posting in here, when you yourself haven't started a thread in a 1.5 years?

A good chunk of the members quit posting in here when they started their own detailing website/forum. I really don't mind the sponsers. They help pay for this website, and post information and first hand experiences about their products, in addition to giving us discounts on them. Yes, just about all of the details they post pictures are of vehicles other than F150s, but the process should transfer to another vehicle. I'm no guru though.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck finding a detailing website or forum that only posts information about F150s.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by rednoved
The Care & Detailing section doesn't get that much activity outside of the sponsers, who are paying to post. How often does a member start a thread in this forum anyways? Every couple of days, once a week?
So much so it's really over run by ads/sponsor posts. No real content from members.

tcope, maybe you should be starting more threads? You started a similar thread to this one back in February, so you can't really count that as contributing much to this forum. So your last real thread was started in November, not of last year, but 2009. Are you really upset that sponsers are posting in here, when you yourself haven't started a thread in a 1.5 years?
A person needs to start a thread to add content? How about contributing information to threads? Review my prior posts a lot more then you mention.

A good chunk of the members quit posting in here when they started their own detailing website/forum. I really don't mind the sponsers. They help pay for this website, and post information and first hand experiences about their products, in addition to giving us discounts on them. Yes, just about all of the details they post pictures are of vehicles other than F150s, but the process should transfer to another vehicle. I'm no guru though.
True. I'm thinking back to those days when there was some really good information on detailing and cleaning F150s. Now it's all about advertising products... and personally, if someone is selling their products I'm not going to give them much weight when they tell me how good they are.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck finding a detailing website or forum that only posts information about F150s.
I don't mind detailing/cleaning posts that are not specifically about F150's... I just want a forum that has honest information and posts with _real_ content. glc's posts for example. He tells it like he sees it. If he likes or dislikes a product he will say so. What sponsor is going to say that the products they sell are crap? Yes, some of the sponsors posts are semi informative. But you really need to look hard for any real content. There are several other posters (members) that post good info, I was just using glc as an example. Its just too bad that sponsors that over-run the forum and (I feel) pushed most members away.

The owner of the forum should consider what is going to keep _real_ people here. Flooding the entire site with ads and then also the entire forum with ads? IMHO that is very short sighted. I'm not trying to knock the site... it's a _tough_ job to keep a site going and everyone is entitled to make a buck or two. I just thought it might be good information.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Tcope here. I've done some digging in the past and I know before I joined over two years ago, there were a lot of right ups. I just am lacking a decent camera to post some of my work. It'd be nice to get feedback from some of the guys on here. Gipraw, OldDogg, Tcope, 2Stroke, RollingRock, RockPick and someone named Kevin (always used a after his posts lol) do some amazing work. There are a few more that I'm forgetting bud if you dig up there old threads... the work is amazing. I've thought about this a lot too and I do miss seeing more member content. Also, people's attitudes towards the veterans have caused many of them to back off. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure this is a part of it. You insult those who have vast amounts of knowledge, you aren't gonna get squat from them. I've read posts where some arrogant idiot comes in and starts a problem and it goes down hill.

Just a shame to see a section that used to have so much potential go down the drain.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I hate to say it but tcope and Truckguy24 are right, there was a mass exodus of member talent that happened and I don't think they are coming back. It's a shame to see this section the way it is now from what it used to be.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’ll have to also agree here. I learned from the best here - Rockpick, RollingRock, Boss429 and many others. Although not professional detailers, these guys took great pride in what they were able to do and didn’t hesitate to help others who showed interest. I went from simply waxing my own vehicles to being able to completely correct and detail a vehicle, then watch the owner’s jaw drop. And when I posted my results here over the years, lots of folks reinforced me for what I was learning and offered hints as to how to get even better. I even had some fun with somewhat satirical posts that were intended to make people laugh. (I remember one where I had RockPick completely stumped for a bit!)

So why don’t you see me or any of the “elders” here anymore? Well, first there were some folks who knew absolutely nothing offering up advice to everyone and anyone. Then there were some folks who only knew one line of products and couldn’t believe anything else could work. Then, most recently there’s the “for advertisers only” flavor the place has taken on. That was the last straw.

Unbeknownst to most of you, I did a little test here a number of months ago. I posted up before and after pics of a black Lincoln Navigator that I detailed for a friend. My post was exactly like what I used to proudly post up here. What was I testing? The response. What did I get? A (very) few nice comments from folks who care – and absolutely nothing from any of the advertisers. Hey folks, if you want me to buy your products, you could at least comment on some work by folks who are very likely to be interested in what you’re selling!

So that’s why you don’t see me here anymore. I have a lot more fun and learn a heck of a lot more over at TDC.

Tom

Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 PM

And for those who missed it, he did a great job

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...navigator.html

Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
And for those who missed it, he did a great job

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...navigator.html
How in the hell did I miss that thread???? Sorry Tom........

Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
How in the hell did I miss that thread???? Sorry Tom........
'

It was shameless none the less!

Just jumping in before my dinner at the Cafe.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
'

It was shameless none the less!

Just jumping in before my dinner at the Cafe.
And it was cheap as well!!

Do they have fresh apple pie with vanilla ice cream at the Cafe???

Old 05-22-2011, 08:43 PM

I'm gonna come over there and eat. I feel weird over there sometimes cause I am still crappy compared to you guys :o

Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I'm gonna come over there and eat. I feel weird over there sometimes cause I am still crappy compared to you guys :o

you're in luck....its always a Buffet.

Quick Reply: It was fun...