cleaning red brake dust off of black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 04:59 PM
|
cleaning red brake dust off of black wheels

I have black rhino sidewinders. the wheels and my tires are both covered in red brake dust. I tried cleaning it off last sunday when I washed my truck but neither a tires scrubber or sponge with soap would get it off. whats weird is when I rubbed the brake dust with my finger it would start to come off, but nothing else would get it off. any ideas?

Old 07-28-2011 | 08:39 AM
Call the place that you bought the wheels from or the manufacturer to see what wheel cleaner they recomend to clean them. You are most likely going to need to spend some time on them with the wheel cleaner they recomend, a wheel, brush, and maybe a clay bar and some Quick Detailer to get them clean. I spent about an hour a wheel on my chrome stockers to get them acceptable after letting them go all last summer and winter with no cleaning.

Last edited by dsq3973; 07-28-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2011 | 12:04 PM
Try this stuff. I just bought it for for teh BBS wheels on my G35. It flat works, with minimal scrubbing. Kind of pricey, but worth it, IMO.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...ner_p_324.html

Detailers Domain is a sponsor on here.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...ct-contest.htm

Afterward you may want to use wheel Wax, if it is compatible with the mat finish. I am running black Helos, and was getting a ton of red dust from my Hawk ceramics, but it came off easily, wheels were wheel waxed. Now running thermoquiet cermanics with minmal dust.

Last edited by Glen R; 07-31-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2011 | 03:15 PM
|
thanks guys, ill check out what is recommended by the company first. then Ill give this stuff a try. ill let u know how it works

Old 07-31-2011 | 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Glen R
Afterward you may want to use wheel Wax, if it is comppatiable with teh mat finish. I am running black Helos, and was getting a ton of red dust from my Hawk ceramics, but it came off easily, wheels were wheelk waxxed. Now running thermoquiet cermanics with minmal dust.
I have a feeling the minimal amount of dust is more attributed to the ceramic pads. Not sure if you'd want to start waxing a matte finish either...

Quick Reply: cleaning red brake dust off of black wheels