Bad breaks left my rims messed up.HELP..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011 | 02:50 AM
|
Unhappy Bad breaks left my rims messed up.HELP..

So i had really bad breaks metal to metal action..and while i was waiting for my new breaks i had no choice but to drive it...now little bits of metal got all over my rim and i cant get em off i tried degresser but no luck...its a brow rusty color and it mess's with the swag of my truck lol. Any ideas of how to get it off?
-Thanks
Tom

Old 09-04-2011 | 03:43 AM
glc
If they are painted or clearcoated wheels, try a clay bar.

Old 09-04-2011 | 12:47 PM
How or Why, did you ever allow your brakes pads to get worn to the point of there being NO pad left ? Didn't or don't you ever inspect them ? does your state not have required inspections (some states don't)
And then you drive the truck anyway with NO brakes. Tsk.,Tsk.,Tsk.

Old 09-04-2011 | 02:03 PM
mlampry, I can't speak for the op but, I have about a 65% hearing loss myself. So I never hear the indicators when the brakes wear down, so in my case front brakes almost always include new rotors!

Last edited by jgger; 09-04-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spellin acorse!
Old 09-04-2011 | 03:52 PM
Try Adams wheel cleaner. Or Meguirs worked for me also. Might take a couple of applications...

Old 09-04-2011 | 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
mlampry, I can't speak for the op but, I have about a 65% hearing loss myself. So I never hear the indicators when the brakes wear down, so in my case front brakes almost always include new rotors!
Not hearing the indicators due to severe hearing loss I can understand but what about a good old fashioned visual inspection ?
Whether it's done in your driveway, a local shop or a dealership, every time the tires get rotated, the brakes can and Should be checked. IMO it's all part of proper and regular maintenance.

Old 09-04-2011 | 07:57 PM
|
Originally Posted by mlamprey
Not hearing the indicators due to severe hearing loss I can understand but what about a good old fashioned visual inspection ?
Whether it's done in your driveway, a local shop or a dealership, every time the tires get rotated, the brakes can and Should be checked. IMO it's all part of proper and regular maintenance.
its a clear coat i think and i bought the truck with bad breaks and i still had to work lol

Old 09-05-2011 | 12:52 AM
glc
If its a clearcoat, a clay bar will do the job. Treat clearcoat wheels the same way you treat the paint on the rest of the truck.

Old 09-05-2011 | 12:57 AM
mlamprey you are so right, but it has gotten away from me more than once.

Just wait until you get to be an old geezer like me!

Old 09-05-2011 | 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
mlamprey you are so right, but it has gotten away from me more than once.

Just wait until you get to be an old geezer like me!
I turned 50 this year and there are days it feels like 70 (alot of days) !
Are you telling me it gets worse ?

One of the life lessons I have learned is that when we are in our 20's, 30's and early 40's we think we are somewhat invincible and we abuse our bodies in a variety of physical ways. All that abuse comes back to bite us in the *** 10 fold.
To all you young guys out there. Just because you CAN lift that engine block or move that piano alone etc. Don't do it. While you still can, learn to work Smart and not Hard.
Call a buddy, have a cold beer ready, make it easy on yourself. Your body will thank you in the years to come.
All right, I'm done preaching, back to the thread at hand.

Old 09-05-2011 | 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by mlamprey
I turned 50 this year and there are days it feels like 70 (alot of days) !
Are you telling me it gets worse ?

One of the life lessons I have learned is that when we are in our 20's, 30's and early 40's we think we are somewhat invincible and we abuse our bodies in a variety of physical ways. All that abuse comes back to bite us in the *** 10 fold.
To all you young guys out there. Just because you CAN lift that engine block or move that piano alone etc. Don't do it. While you still can, learn to work Smart and not Hard.
Call a buddy, have a cold beer ready, make it easy on yourself. Your body will thank you in the years to come.
All right, I'm done preaching, back to the thread at hand.
I've got nine on ya, but I think they are hard miles! As far as getting worse, I think it does......but I can't remember.

glc has it, if they're clear coat treat like paint. Hopefully the hot metal from the pad backing plates didn't burn into the clear.

Quick Reply: Bad breaks left my rims messed up.HELP..