best way to remove overspray

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best way to remove overspray

I just recently got my truck back from the body shop. I was having a few spots on my paint touched up (covered under warranty) Well when I got it back, after a long, and I mean long 8 days, the hood was no longer smooth. It now feels like it has little grits of sand on it. How can I get that smooth glassy feel back to my truck. Thanks for your help.

Bennett

Old 07-16-2001, 11:35 PM
This is precisely what the clay bar is used for.

Old 07-17-2001, 09:07 AM
Cool

Thanks! I had a feeling that I would need a clay bar, just wanted to get another opinion. Also, would a cleaner wax work also?? Should I use one or the other or both together??

Bennett

Old 07-17-2001, 06:35 PM
Do the clay bar first. FOLLOW the directions!!! If you don't, you can ruin your paint. There are two or three different grades/grits of clay bar. Get the finest grit available 'cause it will be the most forgiving.

Dropping the bar on the ground turns it into sandpaper, so don't drop it.

Use whatever lubricating spray the bar manufacturer says to use.

A cleaner wax will take off some of the clear coat while doing a lousy job of removing the overspray, so don't do it. Use the product that was designed to remove overspray -- the clay bar.

Old 07-17-2001, 06:46 PM
It depends on how heavy the over spray is. I have taken light over spray off with a good cleaner wax, I have used clay bars also. My preferred method is high speed buffing. It is a little more mesyy that clay bar, but less elbow grease. BUT, it isn't something I recommend people try without learning how to do it. It is VERY easy to damage the clearcoat/paint.
I'd recommend the claybar if it isn't real heavy overspray.

Quick Reply: best way to remove overspray