Need some paint advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Need some paint advice.

I don't want to get into the details but I scrubbed my truck against a post like:

leaving work one day.. What is the cheapest/easiest way to get the post paint off of my paint without messing up my paint?

I have absolutely 0 experience with detailing a ride. I have always just ran it through a Prime Shine here and there before taking it in to have work done or going on dates.

Someone told me isopropyl alcohol but I don't believe him since he is a known BSer.

Thanks fellas!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy

I wouldn't mind seeing more close ups...but if its just paint transfer and you can feel the paint on your paint.

Go to Lowes or HD or your local hardware store and pick up some Lacquer Thiner. Grab an old MF rag and lightly scrub the area. Be sure not to bear down too hard. ONce you get the transfered paint off, WASH and rinse the area well...get the MS off the paint.

THen repost and we'll go from there.

If if makes you feel better, I have done a few of these.

You will still probably have to polish out the area.

These give you an idea of what can be done with a little product and some skill. I don't check in here often, mostly at the Cafe..

Cheers

RR

EDIT: I will be in San Mateo next week if you want me to take a look at it.

Last edited by RollingRock; 09-29-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Post deleted - RR has ya covered.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM
quick update, you only mentioned you want the paint off...so I didn't get into the details of fixing what is under the paint transfer. If you need that, its a whole other conversation.

RR

Old 09-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info RR.. I wasn't sure what kind of close ups you wanted so I took some randoms.

These two pics show that it went all the way through the paint by the fender lip.

Here is another blemish in my paint. This one happened first. I hit a chunk of concrete out in a field while having fun in the mud.

I also found this in my tire:

Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Randy

Great follow up shots...a lot of that is is truly transfer...that said, it appears that some of it is deeper. Based on some of those photos, it looks like you did go to the base, mostly on the plastic parts. That stuff doesn't hold up like metal and once comprised it folds like an accordion. Not uncommon, there is 50% less color and clear there and they are much more sensitive to this kind of thing...but less costly to fix. My plan would be to use the Lacquer Thinner on the metal parts and gently rub the flecked paint off the plastic with your finger nail and see what you are dealing with. The metal surfaces look good...expect marring and areas that need to be corrected. Plastic parts .....that will have to be painted based on the photos.

Its not bad news....but it could be worse and better.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Update:
Over the weekend I asked my buddy to take a ride with me to the hardware store to pick up the lacquer thinner and some MF towels... He asked what I was planning to do and I showed him my truck. He rustled around in his garage for a minute and came out with some stuff he called a rubbing compound and a MF towel. He tried it on one spot and it worked well so he handed it to me and said to put some elbow grease into it.

This is how it turned out:

Once I got all the transferred paint off of it he hit it with a "quick wax" so it had some sort of protection on it. He told me to come by next weekend and we will detail the whole truck.

Here are pics of the left over damage after the treatment:

Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Hate to say it, but someone who goes right to an abrasive (rubbing compound) without using a solvent and then a clay bar first isn't a very informed detailer.

Quick Reply: Need some paint advice.