Deatiling the roof?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have only done clay, PB polish with carnauba , black hole ( dark stone paint ) and EX Sealant on the top. I use the black hole to hide, rather than correct defects on upward facing bodywork.

I also take it easy on the hood, clay, PB polish w/ carnauba, black hole and Natty blue liquid. I would rather use the black hole for fill on an up facing surface. the PB polish blue is a very fine polish, not something for correcting, even using an orange pad.

This is taking into account that it is not only the truck, but also the cap.

This is following glc's post, why thin out the paint when it is getting hammered the worst out of everything.

I do not correct every time I do the truck either.
If the defects are minor, I will just use black hole on it, rather than correct the paint 4x / yr. This could be old wives tail that I am basing this on.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I try not to polish any of the paint more than once a year and then only if needed.
Once it's corrected I try to keep it swirl free as long as possible with proper washing.

I'm not big on using PB black Hole for filler but more of a glaze to help enhance the gloss.
I'm not sure but I don't believe you can use a sealant on top of PB black hole only a wax.

I'm thinking about doing Opti-Coat 2.0 on the roof so I don't have to bother with it as much.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlinii
....<snip>....
I'm not sure but I don't believe you can use a sealant on top of PB black hole only a wax.....<snip>.....
I got this right from the PB forum, PB himself OK'd the steps.

1. Super Slick & Suds Concentrated Car Wash
2.Bug Squash Concentrated Bug/Tar Remover & Pre-Wash
3.Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba (Blue)
4.Black Hole
5.EXP
6. Nattys Paste

This is another common combo

Super slick suds
clay
re-wash
PWS
BH
ex-p
natts blue x 2
natts red

just as many will use the EX-P as a base, and use BH then Natty's over it.

I did the reading prior to purchasing products ( to get the correct ones, and to make sure of any order requirements ), and made sure it was PB or Pockets OK'ing the order.

The other thing that I do is use Black hole on my White GL-1500.
It makes the white look more pearl than bright white ( another tip from PB ).

The other tip PB gave was to layer BH and Natty's.
After 3 layers the increase in results will be less noticeable. So it is perfectly fine to keep layering them, but you will have to look very close to see any delta, or in PB's words diminishing ROI.

The part I am missing as a usual course of action, is I do not always have time to Natty blue - Natty Blue - Natty Red then Natty Liquid Blue.
Time constraints have me skipping right to the liquid, as it is quick on and off.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I do the roof just like the rest of the truck. Why not? It's painted just like the rest of the truck.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I will continue to treat it like the rest of the truck as well... I want it to look brand new for the entire 4-5 years of ownership. I do however only correct spots that need correcting. Otherwise it's just NXT liquid after a good claying.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 PM
SDA
Roof usually collects the most of sap, bird stuff... etc. Claying process is a must to keep your roof paint being damaged since it's a hard to get area... however I would still polish and wax like the rest of the car, just don't be too aggressive on the roof because the oxidation usually starts there.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I have only done clay, PB polish with carnauba , black hole ( dark stone paint ) and EX Sealant on the top. I use the black hole to hide, rather than correct defects on upward facing bodywork.

I also take it easy on the hood, clay, PB polish w/ carnauba, black hole and Natty blue liquid. I would rather use the black hole for fill on an up facing surface. the PB polish blue is a very fine polish, not something for correcting, even using an orange pad.

This is taking into account that it is not only the truck, but also the cap.

This is following glc's post, why thin out the paint when it is getting hammered the worst out of everything.

I do not correct every time I do the truck either.
If the defects are minor, I will just use black hole on it, rather than correct the paint 4x / yr. This could be old wives tail that I am basing this on.
Was a little surprised to see PB's on here haha

Originally Posted by Merlin
I try not to polish any of the paint more than once a year and then only if needed.
Once it's corrected I try to keep it swirl free as long as possible with proper washing.

I'm not big on using PB black Hole for filler but more of a glaze to help enhance the gloss.
I'm not sure but I don't believe you can use a sealant on top of PB black hole only a wax.

I'm thinking about doing Opti-Coat 2.0 on the roof so I don't have to bother with it as much.
Silly Mike of course you can put a sealant on top of BH and yes BH works great for people like you to make it nice and deep and wet looking

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I got this right from the PB forum, PB himself OK'd the steps.

1. Super Slick & Suds Concentrated Car Wash
2.Bug Squash Concentrated Bug/Tar Remover & Pre-Wash
3.Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba (Blue)
4.Black Hole
5.EXP
6. Nattys Paste

This is another common combo

Super slick suds
clay
re-wash
PWS
BH
ex-p
natts blue x 2
natts red

just as many will use the EX-P as a base, and use BH then Natty's over it.

I did the reading prior to purchasing products ( to get the correct ones, and to make sure of any order requirements ), and made sure it was PB or Pockets OK'ing the order.

The other thing that I do is use Black hole on my White GL-1500.
It makes the white look more pearl than bright white ( another tip from PB ).

The other tip PB gave was to layer BH and Natty's.
After 3 layers the increase in results will be less noticeable. So it is perfectly fine to keep layering them, but you will have to look very close to see any delta, or in PB's words diminishing ROI.

The part I am missing as a usual course of action, is I do not always have time to Natty blue - Natty Blue - Natty Red then Natty Liquid Blue.
Time constraints have me skipping right to the liquid, as it is quick on and off.
Yep no worries on the Sealant on top of the BH

As far as caring for the roof ... she may not always get the full correction but will get clayed polished and protected

P.S. - I work at Poorboy's World

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
um, I am a guilty one of claying the roof and correcting it if needed.

But once corrected, it only gets a clay here and here and extra protection.

And I am a PB addict as well. There I said it Pockets.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Glad to see so many opinions on the subject. Does PB make a wax or sealant that protects atleast 3 months? I like my NXT but it's not as long lasting as I would like. I'm rather tough on my truck. I park in the sun half the time and under trees the other half so either way it's getting the short end of the stick.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by brazzeal15
Glad to see so many opinions on the subject. Does PB make a wax or sealant that protects atleast 3 months? I like my NXT but it's not as long lasting as I would like. I'm rather tough on my truck. I park in the sun half the time and under trees the other half so either way it's getting the short end of the stick.
PB EX-P will last longer than 3 moths and I would say PwS also will last longer than 3 months

RR

Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks! I'll have to try them out in January.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by brazzeal15
Thanks! I'll have to try them out in January.
If you haven't tried PB products, you're in for a treat. Easy on and stupid easy off.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 AM
I clay the roof, and have only corrected it once, I do make sure I have an extra coat of wax or sealer. Duragloss makes a great sealer that seems to last for a very long time!
Inexpensive and if used with the polish bonding agent, works extremely well!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Good suggestions. I'm going to ask for some EXP for Christmas from my dad. He's the only one that would understand. Can I layer a a traditional carnauba wax under or over the EXP to give it a little more depth? Since I have a red truck it's hard to not become obsessed with that great deep wet look.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Clay bar once a year, Meg's Color X/Meg's DA a few times a year, spray detailer every few washes and a step stool to assist in the process.

Quick Reply: Deatiling the roof?