Dry Shine Black Trim Restore - Product Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dry Shine Black Trim Restore - Product Review

Dry Shine - Black Trim Restore Treatment

“Give your faded black plastic bumpers, running boards and trim a DRY and PERMANENT “Brand New Look” treatment that restores both the rich black color and factory shine to your vehicle’s black trim.”

What I have found is that almost every week someone in the detail products industry comes out with a “revolutionary” new product.
Most of them do not live up the manufacturer hype or claims. I don't even want to begin to say how many products I have on my shelf.

At one time or another I have used just about every trim restore product that’s ever been made, most of them with very mixed results.
In the trim restore product line almost all of them are some greasy, oily product that sits on the surface and does not last.

I watched a demonstration of the product and this is what I learned:

Preparation is the key!
Clean the plastics with a degreaser first. This removes dirt and any prior treatment product(s). I used 90% isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

Prepare the application area.
Use blue painters tape and tape off ALL paint and glass and cover any exposed areas with newspaper and towels.
This stuff does NOT come off! It does not come off glass, even cleaning it and scraping it with a razor blade.
NOTE: There is some stuff you can get from the manufacturer that will remove it. It's baking soda based???

Application Process.
Put on rubber gloves. This stuff does not come off clothes or your skin.
Apply with the foam applicator in one direction only! Do NOT go back and forth.
Apply thin coats. Multiple coats can be applied if you want to go darker and/or shinier.

Dry Shine Black Trim Restore Treatment is water based and contains a "black dye".
IMHO This is probably NOT a regular consumer auto parts store product. Take your time and be careful.
Keep a wet cloth handy and wipe off any excess right away. Before it dries! I used 90% isopropyl alcohol.

The KIT includes 4 oz Treatment, Foam Applicator, Microfiber Towel and Rubber Gloves.
At first appearance it looks like a very small bottle. Don't let that fool you a few drops go a very long way.
There are much more detailed application instructions printed on the bottle. Follow the manufacturers instructions.

Here are my results with Dry Shine Black Trim Restore Treatment

What I did:
I taped off paint and cleaned the trim surfaces with 90% isopropyl alcohol.
I did this to remove dirt and any prior product residue. I put on the rubber cloves and shook the product thoroughly.
I applied the product as directed in one direction not going over the area I had already done.
It takes about 10-15 minutes to dry then I applied a second coat.

What I Learned:
On coarse trim like the bumper it went on with no issues. first coat cover everything. Second coat VERY light to create a shine
On fine trim (wiper cowl, rear windows trim etc.) lightly mist the applicator with water before applying product on the applicator.

The Results:
The grey trim turned black and the finish was dry and not greasy. (NOTE: The pictures below are only two coats)
Once or twice I got a little on the paint. I used the 90% isopropyl alcohol on a rag and it was completely removed.
If this happens you need to clean it off the paint or glass right away! I did this and I was not a problem to remove.
Actually it came off very easily. Do not let it dry then think you can get this product off. It ain’t happenin’
Then next day I washed the truck. It didn’t make a dent in the finish and water beads rolled off just like a fine wax.

Conclusion:
It works as advertised. The gray trim is black. It is dry and not greasy. It has a nice shine to it. It took 5-10 minutes to prepare and apply.
Now if it lives up the claim "LASTS for months...even years!", rather than weeks (or less) like other products, I’ll be a very happy camper.

Follow Up:
I originally applied this product in January 2011. It is now October 2011 and the trim is still black (rather than grey) and looks like I just did it.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Nice review and great followup! I was using Adams SVRT on my trim, looks great at first, but washes off after awhile. I am debating just painting all the trim. But, after seeing this, i may try this route instead.
Thanks!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the review!

Looks good!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review! I might give this a try.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the write up! I have several vehicles that need to be done.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
looks good but that is a lot of work just to treat it. if you have to do all of that prep work then you might as well paint it. Personally a product should make things easier. just my 2 cents. like i said it does look good thou

great write up.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Yepper, this stuff is quite a bit different than anything else I've ever used.
I think of it more like painting on a coating rather than applying a dressing.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by 1969mustang
looks good but that is a lot of work just to treat it. if you have to do all of that prep work then you might as well paint it. Personally a product should make things easier. just my 2 cents. like i said it does look good thou

great write up.
It's not really as much prep as it sounds. I do painters tape when I polish paint.
The applying painters tape thing usually does not take more than 5 -10 minutes.
That being said, if you keep the IPA and a clean cloth handy you should be OK.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Is this stuff a dye similar to Showroom New?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Is this stuff a dye similar to Showroom New?
I don't know what "showroom New is but yes, it has a black dye in it.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
http://www.showroomnewproducts.com/

We have a member who wrote a review on it a few years ago and it was very positive.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Good review. I will def be ordering some of this!! My bed rail caps are horrible looking.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates on how this has been holding up, Merlin?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Dashinator
Any updates on how this has been holding up, Merlin?
Still looks as "very very close" to what it did when I first applied it in January.
No need for me to even think about any type of reapplication at this time.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin
Still looks as "very very close" to what it did when I first applied it in January.
No need for me to even think about any type of reapplication at this time.
Thank you! Just ordered a kit so I can stop Armoralling my trim every other day.

Quick Reply: Dry Shine Black Trim Restore - Product Review