Flex 3401 and LC 1 Pad kit Usage

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Flex 3401 and LC 1 Pad kit Usage

Wanted to see if anyone else has confirmed this.

I am in the market for a new DA polisher ( antique PC is on its last legs ) and I was looking at the Flex 3401 DA polisher.

Thing is best I can tell from the part diagram and the literature on the 3401, the backing plates are specific to the Flex item and the Lake County 1 pad kit will not work on it.
The Flex backing plates are held on with a Allen head bolt through the face of the backing plate, and the attachment to the 3401 seems to be a cog wheel ( marketing material indicates this is what held reduce the vibration ).

Want to make sure of this before purchasing a 3401 ( or not buying one from what might be a misunderstanding on my part ) if the 1 pad kit backing plate will or won't work on the 3401.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe they will not the Flex has specific backing plates

Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I am in the market for a new DA polisher ( antique PC is on its last legs ) and I was looking at the Flex 3401 DA polisher.
"Because of its special features, the Flex XC 3401 VRG Polisher only accommodates a factory FLEX backing plate."

Sounds like you got a lot of miles on the 'ole PC.

Have you considered graduating to a rotary?

The Flex 3401 DA - $319
The Flex 3403 Rotary - $239

I recently purchased a Flex PE-14 - $379 (only a few bucks more than a 3401) and I've never looked back.

Using a rotary...
For "heavy" correction you can use wool pads. I use the Lake Country Kompressor Purple Heavy Cutting Foam Pad and it works great!

I can use my existing collection of 4", 5.5" and 6.5" pads as well as 7.5" pads.

For "jeweling" this is where a rotary truly shines (pun intended) IMHO using a rotary with a LC blue pad at 600 rpm makes an outstanding finish!

BTW - Did I mention that it now takes me about 1/3rd the time it took using only a DA?

On the other hand, the Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher - $129 has a LOT more power than the PC.
You can use your existing pads and it will work with the Meguiars 5 Inch DA Microfiber Correction System.

What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Flex 3401 and LC 1 Pad kit Usage