Need advice on detailing equipment

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on detailing equipment

I am asking(and 99% sure I am getting) some detail equipment for Christmas. I have looked over countless threads and websites, but I need help since the most I have done is wash, clay, wax.

I know I want a package that includes the PC 7424xp since I am new to this. There are just so many I don't know what to choose. I am thinking of this http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocaswrek.html

Has anyone used these products before?

I will probably buy the pad cleaner and a few other detailing things with some money I get from Christmas and working of course. Any advice on some good products for a beginner? I already use stoner invisible glass, mothers clay bar, and have plenty of microfiber towels. Is a foam gun a good investment?

Any help is good help. So thank you to anyone who helps me in advance!

James

Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Check out this guy on you tube: the junkman, His detailing videos are some of the best
I've seen. His video about a foam gun is the reason why I'm going to get one.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM

I have seen one or two by him, but I will have to check out more of them it looks like!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frankly, the PC is an inferior tool to the Griot's Garage 6" DA; Griots has much more power and a higher amperage rating. For get the Foam gun. Buy some Optimum No Rinse for your washing needs.

AG can put together just about and sort of a package for you.

Personally, I use Megs #105 & #205, but Ult Compound and Ult Polish are great, too.

My LSPs are Blackfire Wet Diamond and Wet Glaze 2.0. They're awesome and so easy to use.

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 11-15-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by jaymz
Frankly, the PC is an inferior tool to the Griot's Garage 6" DA; Griots has much more power and a higher amperage rating.
I wouldn't say the PC is inferior to the GG 6" but the GG 6" does have much more power!
The GG 6" is a great tool for the newbie. The GG 6" has a LOT of paint correction capability.
The PC7424 can do paint correction. I feel the PC is a much nicer tool for finishing the paint.
The GG 6" has a lifetime warranty.
IMHO The PC works better with the Meguiars Microfiber Cutting pads and D300 compound.

Anyway my starter list would be...

1) Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher
1) 5" Meguiar's Backing Plate
1) Meguiars M105 32oz
1) Meguiars M205 32oz
6) Lake Country 5.5" flat pads "six-pack" [2-orange 2-white 1-black 1-blue]
1) BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection 16oz
1) Wet Glaze 2.0 <-LINK

This gives you a DA polisher, polish, pads. glaze and LSP.

Yes there are other waxes and sealants (I think I own one of everything)
I like Zaino Z-2 with ZFX as a sealant and Collinite 845 as a wax (both $15)

Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM

glc-Do you have this kit? or at least any experience with it? I have never heard of it before like I have the PC

jaymz- How inferior? I can deal with a little inferior if I can buy the PC within a package since I am not looking for show car results, just the best possible for an 18 year old's truck. It has done its fair share of offroad, but the most it gets now is driving around fields and maybe the occasional scratch from a branch.

So AG can put together all that I want in one? Or do I have to go by the ones on the website? What is an LSP?

Merlin- I do like the lifetime warranty... How much do you think that starter package would be? I am trying to keep it under 300, preferably under 275

Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 PM
glc
The G110 is based on the PC - in fact, it's probably made by PC.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if it'll help, but I just picked up a 7424XP for $98 shipped which was a hell of a deal. I made a post about it you can check out if your interested. I decided to go with the Megs DA MF kit myself since I'm new to the whole detailing thing and it seems like a great way to get started. I've taken a bunch of Merlin's advice as he really seems to know his stuff, so do a search on some of his posts. You should find some really helpful advice.

At the end of the day, jump in and get started!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by jpf150
jaymz- How inferior? I can deal with a little inferior if I can buy the PC within a package since I am not looking for show car results, just the best possible for an 18 year old's truck. It has done its fair share of offroad, but the most it gets now is driving around fields and maybe the occasional scratch from a branch.
The GG 6" and the PC are the same type of Dual Action (DA) orbital machine. The GG has more power.
I have been unable to get the GG 6" to stop spinning with lots of pressure at speed setting 6.
This makes it IMHO a better DA for doing paint correction. Removing swirls scratches etc.

So AG can put together all that I want in one? Or do I have to go by the ones on the website?
Yes, the "packages" are pre-made ones on the website. You can purchase anything/everything individually.
If you want a "single package"...I would suggest getting the items and have 'em ship it in one box (GRIN)

What is an LSP?
Last Step Product (LSP) - Usually a sealant or a wax. Sealants are shiny and last 3-6 months. Wax are warmer and last 2-4 weeks.
Sorry 'bout the acronym there are lots of 'em in the detail lingo. Here's a list. Although many new ones have been added since.

Merlin- I do like the lifetime warranty... How much do you think that starter package would be? I am trying to keep it under 300, preferably under 275
I did some home work for you. Here's the list as of now...

129.99 Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE BONUS
$19.99 Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate
$25.99 Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound 32 oz. New D.A. Version
$27.99 Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish 32 oz.
$34.99 Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack [2-orange 2-white 1-black 1-blue]
---------
238.95 Sub total Polisher, Products and Pads

$14.95 Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
$19.95 ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
---------
$34.90 Sub Total LSP (Sealant)
---------
273.85 Total + Shipping NOTE: you should get FREE shipping w/purchase of the top 5 items

Optional:
$19.95 Wet Glaze 2.0 - Fills and hides minor paint imperfections and is a gloss enhancer.

- Still under $300

As far as a package. Think of it like this...When purchasing audio/video equipment...
I prefer quality components rather than an all-in-one AM/FM/CD/DVD/TV unit.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I buy stuff, I always go for the best bang for my buck and the best tool for the job. The GG will shorten your time removing swirls and the guarantee is the best. The contrast between the GG and the PC was so startling that I gave my PC to my son.

The Megs #105 and #205 are also available in smaller sizes to further lower your costs.

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 11-16-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
glc
Sorry 'bout the acronym there are lots of 'em in the detail lingo. Here's a list. Although many new ones have been added since.
Haven't seen our detailing dictionary sticky yet? No need to take people off site unless we don't have what you are looking for.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Haven't seen our detailing dictionary sticky yet? No need to take people off site unless we don't have what you are looking for.
Due to the fact I just now found it here. I apologize.

Here is a link to the acronyms on F150online

Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
glc
Thank you for adding to it!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! Merlin you should have gotten my PM!

Quick Reply: Need advice on detailing equipment