REVIEW: Sprayway Citrus "Black Label" Degreaser

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REVIEW: Sprayway Citrus "Black Label" Degreaser

Manufacturer quote...

"This heavy duty, natural citrus degreaser is non-chlorinated. Use it to replace products containing acetone, trichloroethylene, butyl cellosolve and other chlorinated solvents.
Attacks oil, grime, grease, tar and other oil based contaminents on hard surfaces. Works on contact and leaves little or no residue."

Details...

Product Name: Sprayway "Black Label" Citrus Degreaser
Product Container: Aerosol can with a tapered top. Small aerosol spray top
Product Labeling: The "label" is printed on the can. Simple directions. Hold 8-10 inches away from surface and spray. Wait and wipe off. If real nasty repeat.
Product Characteristics: The very first thing I noticed was the very "pleasant" citrus smell. It comes out is a clear mist not a straight spray or a foam.
Product Performance: I've been a big fan of the Sprayway glass cleaner for over 20+ years. This stuff performs better than Gunk AND smelled nice doing it!
Product Price: $6.45 very reasonable. (buy at least three cans and save on shipping!)
Product Safety: If you can spray an aerosol can without the top pointed backwards and spraying it up your nose you should be able to master this without a problem.

My thoughts and opinion...

I personally used it on wheels and an engine and bay area. My main purpose was to use it to clean an engine/bay area. Here's a few of the engine "cleaning" products I've used.

Gunk: Heavy Duty Engine Degreaser
Gunk: Citrus Engine Shine
Black Magic: 2-in-1 Engine Shine Degrease and Shine
CD2: Engine Detailer

My normal procedure is a misting of Simple Green 1:1 water then lightly hose then use a degreaser if still needed. To date Gunk Degreaser has been my go-to for nasty engine bays. Some of the above products have a straight spray stream rather than a wider spray. Sprayway Citrus Engine Degreaser has a nice wider spray (kinda like their class cleaner without the foam).

Following the directions and using the 8"-10" distance allowed excellent control in the engine bay without splatter or worrying about getting it on the the electrics. I was able to clean the entire engine and bay area with Sprayway "Black Label" Citrus Degreaser without using water in the engine bay. These are a good things!

I had one difficult-to-get-to area that I was able to hit with the spray. I knew I would be unable to get a cloth into to wipe it away. I waited a few minutes and used a very light mist (it was not near electrics) with a water bottle and the grease and road grime rolled off leaving an almost perfectly clean area.

The engine bay I tried it on was a 2002 Toyota Camry with 135,000 miles on it and the engine bay had NEVER been cleaned. It took almost 1/4 to 1/3 of a can to clean it all up. (Cost about $2.00) I will admit I followed it up with a little CD2 just to add a bit of "shine" when done but that's OK, Sprayway Citrus Engine Degreaser is a degreaser not a shine dressing.

I'm VERY happy with the results. IMHO Sprayway "Black Label" Citrus Degreaser cleaned away grease just as good as Gunk Heavy Duty Engine Degreaser without the lingering (sometimes 2-3 days) strong chemical smell. Did I mention that my first impression was how pleasant the citrus smell was. Sprayway "Black Label" Citrus Degreaser smells much nicer than some other products that smell like you just shoved highly artificial citrus concentrate up your nose.

Bottom Line:...

It works, It's easy to use and control and it has a nice pleasing citrus smell. (It's fun when products smell good). I've now added another wonderful product in my arsenal.

Try it..you'll like it. I got mine from The Detail Shoppe

I can take pics of the finished bay area if you would like...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Pics indeed!!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
Pics indeed!!
OK, I'll try to get 'em tomorrow. It's pouring outside right now.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Haven't done my engine bay since I bought it nearly 3 years ago. Kinda hesitant to do so after reading about some of the problems. But I think a good cleaner, light garden hose water and an air compressor dry should be ok. Thanks Merlin

Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
Haven't done my engine bay since I bought it nearly 3 years ago. Kinda hesitant to do so after reading about some of the problems. But I think a good cleaner, light garden hose water and an air compressor dry should be ok. Thanks Merlin
That's what I liked about this stuff. Easy to point and control. No garden hose needed.
I'm not a big fan of spraying water on the engine/bay area near any electrics.
Besides the obvious parts (starter etc.) I have COPS to worry about too!

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Sprayway Citrus "Black Label" Degreaser