Anything After 205?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything After 205?

Yesterday I was going over my truck with Meg's #80 and it just didn't get all the water spots off. Also on the aftermarket bed cap there appears to be some clearcoat etching from something, probably bird crap. No etching on the truck paint so the bed cap folks must use an inferior product.

Anyway, I'm going to order some 105 and 205 to try to get the paint corrected and ready for several good waxings. Do I need to use any other polishing product after the 205 or does it produce a finished surface? Which pads should I use for each product? Using a DA polisher.

Rick

Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I'm going to order some 105 and 205 to try to get the paint corrected and ready for several good waxings. Do I need to use any other polishing product after the 205 or does it produce a finished surface? Which pads should I use for each product? Using a DA polisher.
M105 and M205 are my go-to products for paint correction and polishing

DA speed depends on which DA you have.
Have you researched the Kevin Brown Method?
I prefer the 5" backing plate with 5.5" flat pads.

M105/Lake Country orange pad/ Speed 5-6 = correction
M205/Lake Country white pad / Speed 4-5 = polishing

In most cases M205 finishes out well enough to go straight to LSP.

If you want to "kick it up a notch" I like Menzerna 85rd with a black pad.
For "extra" gloss after polishing I would also suggest using Wet Glaze 2.0

What are you using for LSP (Last Step Product) wax or sealant?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Nope, never heard of the Kevin Brown method, got a link to it?

I have the Megs DA polisher with yellow, black and purple 7" pads. I've been using the yellow with the #80 and it's not cutting the water spots very well. The truck is black so everything shows up.

I think I would like to stay exclusively with Meg's products, I'm sure their's will serve my purpose.

So you're saying after I make a final pass with the 205 the finish is ready for NXT?

LSP will be 2/NXT then 2/canubra

Thanks for the help.

Rick

Last edited by shootnstarz; 11-27-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
So you're saying after I make a final pass with the 205 the finish is ready for NXT?
Yep! The NXT has some fillers in it that should take care of any minor issues left over.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Kevin Brown Method

I think I would like to stay exclusively with Meg's products, I'm sure their's will serve my purpose.
Megs makes a 5" backing plate (it also comes with the 5" MF DA kit)
The Lake Country 5.5" flat pads work very well using the KBM.
I'd suggest a "six-pack" 2) orange 2) white 1) black 1) blue

Old 11-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks !

Rick

Old 11-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Megs DA polisher with yellow, black and purple 7" pads. I've been using the yellow with the #80 and it's not cutting the water spots very well. The truck is black so everything shows up.

Thanks for the help.

Rick
If the purple pad you referred to is a Meg's pad, do not use it with a PC / DA. All you'll do is make a mess with it. It's just too hard for the PC.

As for finishing up after 205, Merlin is correct in that you might be just fine. The 205 finishes up pretty nicely with a white LC pad and you can follow it with a black pad to burnish the finish somewhat.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though NXT 2.0 does have some cleaners in it, I'm not sure if it would remove any of the polishing oils left behind especially like 85rd. M205 and SMAT technology has some ts (moly) oils also. To ensure best durability with NXT, I would use some type of cleaning step between polishing and NXT - regular wash, pre-wax cleaner, IPA, etc.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the help.

Rick
1. Wash and Clay Bar
2. Meg's Yellow Pad with Meg's DA set on (5) with Meg's Ultimate Compound.
3. Meg's Utimate Polish w/Meg's Yellow Pad and DA set on (5).
4. Meg's NXT 2.0 w/Meg's Black Pad set on (3).

The above should take care of those water spots. It worked on my '07 SCab with Dark Blue Pearl paint.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I have the Megs DA polisher with yellow, black and purple 7" pads.
Agreed. I personally think that a 7" pad is way too big for a DA.
I believe you would have better control and results with a 5.5" flat pad.
If you are new to polishing, I might suggest the LC constant pressure pads.
On a DA, I personally like the LC 5.5" flat pads rather than the LC CCS pads.

Originally Posted by 2stroked
As for finishing up after 205, Merlin is correct in that you might be just fine. The 205 finishes up pretty nicely with a white LC pad and you can follow it with a black pad to burnish the finish somewhat.
Originally Posted by Merlin
If you want to "kick it up a notch" I like Menzerna 85rd with a black pad.
Agreed. Preparation is the key!
For a Megs DA then I might suggest KBM
M105/Lake Country 5.5" orange flat pad/ Speed 5 = correction
M205/Lake Country 5.5" white flat pad / Speed 4 = polishing
Menz 85rd/LC 5.5" black flat pad/ Speed 3 = jeweling
(I prefer jeweling with a rotary @ 600 rpm)

Originally Posted by Stormsearch
...I would use some type of cleaning step between polishing and NXT - regular wash, pre-wax cleaner, IPA, etc.
Agreed. Work clean.
Isopropyl alcohol 1:1, mineral spirits or my fav Menzerna final Inspection will clean off polish and residue (polishing oils etc.) so you can see what the actual polished paint finish looks like.

The cleaning step is also recommended before application of LSP for better bonding to the paint when using sealants like Zaino Z-2. Sal recommends cleaning with Z-6 before applying Z-2.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks a million guys.

Would Megs "quick detailer" spray work for cleaning before LSP? I have a bunch of that stuff.

How often should I clay bar, I did it about 2 years ago? The truck doesn't get driven all that much. It only has 46K on it after 5.5 years, and a good third of that is interstate driving.

I also noticed the #80 is more aggressive than 205 and I'm assuming the 205 will take out the micro scratch swirling left by 105 and actually leave a more polished finish than the 80?

Rick

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Would Megs "quick detailer" spray work for cleaning before LSP? I have a bunch of that stuff.
If you're looking for something inexpensive to check your work and clean off the polish and residue I'd go with IPA and clean MF towels.

How often should I clay bar, I did it about 2 years ago? The truck doesn't get driven all that much. It only has 46K on it after 5.5 years, and a good third of that is interstate driving.
How to check if you need to clay...
Wash and dry your vehicle then take Saran Wrap or a baggie and put your hand inside then gently wipe it across the paint.
Do you feel little bumps and grit? If so, you should clay the paint before polishing. I would think after 2 years it needs clay.

Megs "quick detailer" spray (Red bottle) works well as a clay lubricant.

I also noticed the #80 is more aggressive than 205 and I'm assuming the 205 will take out the micro scratch swirling left by 105 and actually leave a more polished finish than the 80?
Yes, you are correct, M205 is designed to be a follow up to M105. M205 removes the M105 micro marring and enhances the gloss.
Actually Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are derived from M105 and M205 and are "consumer" (not as aggressive) versions.

Last edited by Merlin; 11-28-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Merlin
Actually Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are derived from M105 and M205 and are "consumer" (not as aggressive) versions.
Great user friendly products that are available at almost any parts store and Walmart.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Great user friendly products that are available at almost any parts store and Walmart.
Yep, I just checked the local parts store and they have it in stock. So the ultimate compound and polish would work just as well as the 105 and 205?

I wouldn't expect anything less from something called "ultimate" !!!

Thanks again for the advice guys,
Rick

Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Yep, I just checked the local parts store and they have it in stock. So the ultimate compound and polish would work just as well as the 105 and 205?
Ultimate Compound does not have the polishing ability and abrading power of M105
I will admit it is quite a bit easier to use (less flash, drying out, longer work times etc.)

From the most to the least aggressive...

Notice the red arrow on the left of the "Mirror Glaze" bottles

M105 Ultra-Cut Compound/M95 Speed Cut Compound = Same in abrading power
Ultimate Compound
ScratchX 2.0
M86 Solo Cut & Polish Cream
D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream
SwirlX
M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
Ultimate Polish

Quick Reply: Anything After 205?