Mr. Clean just got equipped!! Buffer Style

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Clean just got equipped!! Buffer Style

I am new to this forum as I just bought the fiddy a month ago, but on the ford ranger forums, I am known for my cleaning capabilities as well as my OCD on how clean I kept my truck and to what extent i cleaned it (taking bed off to clean). Ive very good at washing and cleaning, but I have never buffed a vehicle. So I picked up his Meguiar's G110V2 Dual Action Polisher (Buffer) along with pads and product from a friend! Its my first step in the process. I am also picking up a Dewalt orbital. Im going to get good with the polisher first though! Cant wait to try this out on my paint!

1) M105 Ultra Cut Compound
2) M205 Ultra Finish Polish
3) M07 Showcar Glaze polish
4) M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

----------

will be buying some new Lake Country Pads and some more product when that is gone.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, welcome to the slippery (OCD) slope. For those of us that went down the road before you, I can say you're in for a fun ride.

As for your new stash of equipment and products, maybe a clarification is in order here. Your G110V2 is considered a dual action (random orbital / rotary) motion machine, not a true "buffer." They're a great way to start because the very limited torque the machine is able to exert in the rotary direction pretty much prevents one from doing any serious damage. Said another way, press too hard and you stall the rotary motion and are left with pure random orbital motion.

You mention that you want to buy a "DeWalt orbital" next. Last time I checked, DeWalt didn't make an orbital machine and I doubt you'll need one with the G110V2 already sitting on your shelf. DeWalt does make a true "rotary buffer" (I have one) and I'd caution you on going out and buying one just yet. A true rotary is 100% rotary motion - generally with variable speed. And if you can stall one of these bad boys, you're a better man that I. You can also do a ton of damage in world record time with one of these bad boys, so I'd be real careful about running out and buying one right away.

The other reason you might want to wait on the rotary is the new Meguiar's Microfiber pad system. It's designed to be used with a machine like your G110V2 and in fact doesn't work very well at all with a more powerful machine. The beauty is its ability to give you rotary like results with a much smaller machine. I'd suggest you check this one out instead.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good for you, it is going to make the OCD that much worse

I do not care for the G110, I got one due to the reviews, and my old PC worked better. I just replaced it with a new 7424XP and I did not realize how bad of shape the old one was in ( it started it life as a sander way back when ).

For the product, I used to be 81-7-26 but have converted to poorboy products.

I used one of the polishes ( he has a few to choose from, even in the 81 category ) then Black hole and finish it with EX or Natty's liquid Blue.

The polish with sealant is a nice quick hit when you don't have time for all 3 steps.

I had been buying all the FD-51 I could get my hands on, until I tried the PB quick detailers. The Spray & Wipe is great, and the Spray & gloss was replaced with QD+ and QW+. The QW+ is a bad addiction to have.

Before you put down more money on the meg, might want to look at the PB line, and check out the forum. I am a convert after years of nothing but Megs. I even tried a few of the higher end products and went back to megs every time, before trying PB products.

PB has a sample section, so you can try out different things.

Just some things to think about.

The LC pads, check out the new 1 pad line they have. I am going to give it a try. Don't know how they work, it is a different backing pad ( they put the pad guts on the backing plate vs in the pad ), so you can have cheap pad replacements.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM
What SSCULLY said. I'm also a Poorboys user and Forum member. Good products and good
price.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
IMHO (although I love it. It looks GREAT) M07 show car glaze is a "queen for a day" gloss for single stage paint.

M105 with a medium cut pad followed by M205 with a fine cut pad will give you a very nice finish.

As stated by 2stroked I honestly think you would be better off starting with the Megs Microfiber DA products.
This is an easy combo to learn on, give great results and works very well with Meguiar's G110V2 Dual Action Polisher.

I'd at least purchase the 5" backing plate, 5" DA MF cutting discs and a bottle of D300 for the correction work.
D300 is a lot easier and cleaner to work with and longer work time than M105 and it's not as aggressive.
Remember: Always use the least aggressive paint correction polishing method FIRST!

Cutting discs on left. Polishing discs on right.

You will also need a "bug sponge" to keep the MF cutting disc clean while you are working.

After each section (fender, door etc.) clean the MF disc by holding the bug sponge against the rotating disc.
This is known as on-the-fly cleaning method. I use this method when I don't have an air compressor handy.

Here is a video on the Megs MF DA System. Excellent, SAFE results and takes 10 minutes to learn.
http://youtu.be/qmBACx72h4g

I would stay away from a rotary buffer for a while if I were you! Spend some time and master the DA first.

I'd like using (in this order)
5" MF DA cutting disc and D300
5.5" Lake Country flat white pad with M205
5.5" LC flat black pad with Menz PO85
5.5" LC flat blue pad with Blackfire Wet Diamond

Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 AM
For the record I too use Poorboys products and I like 'em.
They are great folks and make some very good products!

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean just got equipped!! Buffer Style