detailing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
detailing question

Hey guys i need to detail my truck one of these days and even tho i have washed it i still have these marks on my bed. they arent scratches really but they wont come off. i dont know if some one on here knows how to get these white again or a product i can buy to get it white. i have attached a picture of what i am talking about.

sorry for the bad pics i took them off my iphone.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That looks like a scuff mark......try cleaning it with a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol & water (denatured is available at any hardware store & is oil free). It will remove any wax/polish and most all environmental contamination & ensure you are starting with a very clean surface, while the scratches itself won't be gone, it might clean off the dark residual.

I would try BAF/Pro Car Care Beauty Products P21 Swirl Eliminator & Polish- although for 30 years I used 3M products specifically, recently I have not been as pleased with the quality of 3M’s hand glaze. I typically do not like "combination" type products but P21 is very, very impressive & effective from end result, ease of use & overall effectiveness.

If it still feels/looks rough and it has not gone through the clearcoat, try clay bar...but I would not use Megs (it is rated at 3500 grit and I would definitely recommend something in the 4-5000 range- BAF sells these)...this is very much like wet sanding the paint, but with a very, very fine sandpaper which will smooth the rough edges out, then polish & apply a wax. One item....always clean the surface with 50/50 alcohol/water or similar prduct that will remove all wax/polish, etc prior to wet sanding (or using the claybar) because it will pick up these reminents and act like little ball bearings under the claybar eliminating its effectiveness.

Wax/polish...

The absolute best is made by BAF & distributed through Pro Car Care products. BAF Industries 1910 S. Yale Street Santa Ana, CA 92704 800-437-9893

An excellent product is 3M Perfect It Show Car Liquid Wax- a silicone wax/polish but excellent results as well and available at any auto paint supplier & NAPA.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like you lightly kissed something or something lightly kissed you. The second picture is more telling than the first. Can you feel scratches with your fingernail? If you can, that generally means you're in for a re-paint. If you can't, it can most likely be polished out.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Looks like those'll come out with a little compound. Try a small spot with a towel and a finger dab of compound and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. A good product that's not too gritty is 3M Finesse it or Finesse it II. That stuff works great but I bet anything with a little grit will work just fine. Probably won't remove them but you'll never know they're there.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
i cant feel them with my fingernail. i think the second pic some one scraped me but the one that gets me is the first pic is how it goes perfectly along the body line. what is the best thing to try to buff these out with?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by 97flare150
Looks like those'll come out with a little compound. Try a small spot with a towel and a finger dab of compound and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. A good product that's not too gritty is 3M Finesse it or Finesse it II. That stuff works great but I bet anything with a little grit will work just fine. Probably won't remove them but you'll never know they're there.
ok ill give that a try when i wash the truck next.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by monoxide
ok ill give that a try when i wash the truck next.
Do NOT use "compound" to try to remove them. "Rubbing Compound" is for really serious problems and should only be used by someone who really knows what they're doing. I've never found a need to use it in detailing work. Try something milder like Megiar's Scratch-X to start with. This follows our general rule of "least aggressive product first." (Compound is the other end of that scale.)

Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 PM
ok ill try that first 2stroked

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
By hand I'd try something like Meguiars Ultimate Compund. This can be found at your local auto parts sore.

I'd follow that with Meguiars Ultimate Polish to finish up the process.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
monoxide, I have used DuPont #7 Polishing Compound for years on minor things like that. The Polishing Compound is less abrasive than the Rubbing Compound. I use the Dupont Polishing Compound on the bus I drive just prior to waxing. Just to add from my experience.

Quick Reply: detailing question