Removing scratches in clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing scratches in clear coat

I've got a 12' tuxedo black SCrew. I've got some scratches from out in the desert, nothing real serious, but it looks like it's into the clear coat a little bit? I can't rub them out with a towel or my finger, their just a little bit deeper than that. Any ideas/comments on 'buffing'? What I should use? How I should do it? I don't want to make swirls in the paint if I can get away with it. Or is buffing what I should be doing? Preferred products, tricks? Any help would be appreciated.

I know, how could I get scratches on my brand new truck? I had to test out the 4X4 and off-road skidplates a little....

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
This is the easiest system for a novice:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...ction-kit.html

Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
I know it may be too late seeing as this post is from February. But I picked up some NU finish scratch remover from autozone the other day and the stuffs amazing. My truck is dark blue pearl and it took out 95% of all my scratches and swirls. For 10.50 im sold on the stuff.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BigKais89
I know it may be too late seeing as this post is from February. But I picked up some NU finish scratch remover from autozone the other day and the stuffs amazing. My truck is dark blue pearl and it took out 95% of all my scratches and swirls. For 10.50 im sold on the stuff.
Did you do it by hand ?

If so, I think you got a bottle of glaze. I have never heard or tried this product, so it is supposition on my part.

Easy enough to find out after a few washes, do a 15% IPA wipe down where some of the defect were. If they come back, it was glaze.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM
The rub had some grit to it like a really light rubbing compound. So far so good....even if it is just a glaze. Well worth it for the clean look I got.

Quick Reply: Removing scratches in clear coat