Sliding rear window leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sliding rear window leak

I just signed on and was not surprised to see a list of similar problems. It has been raining for about a week now and my back seat smells like a wet dog! Ford looked at it after a glass business referred me and stated that it is a Ford problem. They have seen a lot of them and if they fix it right is is $650 for the new design. Ford Svc mgr states that yes, it is a problem, and yes Ford has re-designed, but no, there is not a recall or service bulletin. Ford svc did say that they would "help" be even though I have 55K miles. That was 10 days ago and no word back from Ford, other than they are ordering a new replacement rear window unit......my cost is unknown....but I didn't sign anything authorizing the order. Hmmmm. I do that a Ford board of directors member has a plantation retreat in this area.....I wounder if he could help!

Old 08-12-2001, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Actually, there IS a service bulletin (Article No. 01-1-11 on Alldata, 01111 at NHTSA). Note that a service bulletin is not a recall and does not require the dealer to cut you a deal.

According to the bulletin, it is not always necessary to replace the entire window module. Hopefully, your dealer inspected your window first, and did not just assume that a new window was necessary.

At any rate, $650 seems high. I haven't shopped around yet, but my first inclination is to go to an aftermarket glass shop and buy a new installed window for much less than $650.

It's funny the things you learn about after you buy a vehicle. So far, I've learned about door cracks and leaky rear windows.

Also, if you've just bought a used truck, you can check out the Ford web site to see if there are any outstanding recalls on it (sorry, I don't remember exactly how I found it, but it's there.)

Last edited by randyap; 08-12-2001 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2001, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

CityFarmer...what year is your truck??

Quick Reply: Sliding rear window leak