Thump under seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thump under seat

I wasn't really sure where to post this question....

I have a 99 F150 4x4 XLT 5.4 and everytime I start it or just turn the key without starting it, after about 3 or 4 seconds I feel a thump underneath the floor board. Could this be the fuel line building pressure and maybe a fuel line hanger is missing??? Anyone else ever experience this?

Also, another slight annoyance.... When I'm driving down the road with the window down I can hear something that sounds like a small chain rattling. A real high pitched ringing? It sounds like its coming from the driver's side. At first I thought it was the mirror, then the break pads... but it's not that...??? Ideas??

Thanks in advance!!!

Roland

Old 08-15-2001, 09:44 AM
No idea about the thump under the floor but the "chain jingle" you describe sounds just like what I experienced. Mine turned out to be the spindle nut retainers. Some have said just tighten up the pins to fix them but I went one step further and put a dab of form a gasket inside them to cushion them and tightened the pins. Extremely annoying sound isn't it?

Old 08-15-2001, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe that thunk is a part of the transfer case self-test. I think it engages something and disengages it just to make sure it works. I'm not positive, but mine does both things you described... it's going into the shop in a couple of weeks, and both of those are on the list. I would think that the clunking is normal, but my 97 never did it... maybe something they didn't include on the early ones?

-Joe-

Old 08-16-2001, 05:01 AM
I've never noticed it, but doesn't the ABS go through some kind of self test at some point after you start the truck up?

Old 08-16-2001, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the replys!!!!!!

t_daughrity - the spindle nut was it... I removed the key and the noticed inside the nut was some goop.... must've come that way from the factory??? Thanks for helping fix that annoying sound!!!!

Roland

Old 08-16-2001, 01:55 PM
No problem kruck, I know how annoying that sound was when I couldn't find it. Mine had the 3 dabs of whatever in there too, stuff just didn't last long. Pretty poor idea if you ask me. What ever happened to the hole in the spindle with a crown nut that the cotter pin went through? Pretty foolproof. Still no idea on the thunk, I have never noticed my 97 doing any kind of self test or anything.

Quick Reply: Thump under seat