Longer lasting wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Isn't Megs #16 getting hard to find and a bit of a pain to apply and remove?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That was my question. It was pulled with the other items like FD-51 due to CA VOC restrictions.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
That was my question. It was pulled with the other items like FD-51 due to CA VOC restrictions.
Yes Meg's #16 has a bit of a learning curve to it but it's a great product. You can still find it if you look for it.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Applying is a piece of cake .. removal is easy if you applied it thin.

It is hard to find .. I only have 5 1/2 cans left ..

Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I think I have 6 or 7 cans left...... I really need to start using it more often.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM

So how is one wax ( with a flash point of 140* ) covered by another wax going to last longer than 60 days in the sun ?

Does not make sense considering the melting point of each.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM
The wax changes chemically when it cures becoming harder and more durable. Try removing Meg's #16 or about any wax for that matter it's been applied to thick then left to cure or left to long or applied to a hot body panel. It also has to do with the blend of waxes they use because I absolutely love to use Wet Obsession because of the look it gives certain paints(Metallic's in particular) but if offers little protection because of the waxes that are blended together because it's very very soft in feel and texture compared to Meg's #16 which is very hard. The Wet Obsession goes on so light even if you load the applicator up that it's almost clear and I have to do one panel at a time just to make sure I get all the wax off compared to other waxes I have in my collection.

Last edited by dsq3973; 04-04-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Try Adams Polishes Machine Super Sealant. Works great in the Texas weather. Been raining for a week and I still get great beads. Holds up in the summer as well.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Menzerna Power Lock
Shine 9
Ease of use 10+ Not much is easier to use than this.
Durability 8.5
Price 9

Collinite 845
Shine 8.8
Ease of use 8.5
Durability 9.5
Price 9.5

Optimum Spray Wax
Shine 8
Ease off use 10
Durability 8
Price 9.6

Auto-Glym High Definition Wax
Shine 9.4
Ease of use 8
Durability 9.8
Price 8

All are great and will out perform almost anything in the same price point, as for the best combination of attributes that I would choose it would be Menzerna PL it is too easy to use, last to long, and looks too good to buy anything else.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 PM
So how is one wax ( with a flash point of 140* ) covered by another wax going to last longer than 60 days in the sun ?

Does not make sense considering the melting point of each.
The flash point is that of it in the bottle mixed with the components that make it a liquid, once applied those chems flash off into the air, leaving a wax behind that in its natural state extremely difficult to work with and remove. The dissolvent that liquefies the wax is what is lowering the flash point, not that of the wax. I have gotten six months of beading out of 845 on my truck that sits outside 24/7 and gotten 12 months out of 915 on my motorcycle that stays in the garage and sees 6-8k miles a year.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by dsq3973
The wax changes chemically when it cures becoming harder and more durable. Try removing Meg's #16 or about any wax for that matter it's been applied to thick then left to cure or left to long or applied to a hot body panel. It also has to do with the blend of waxes they use because I absolutely love to use Wet Obsession because of the look it gives certain paints(Metallic's in particular) but if offers little protection because of the waxes that are blended together because it's very very soft in feel and texture compared to Meg's #16 which is very hard. The Wet Obsession goes on so light even if you load the applicator up that it's almost clear and I have to do one panel at a time just to make sure I get all the wax off compared to other waxes I have in my collection.
Flash point gives you an idea of the melting point of it.

Pure Carnauba wax ( the stuff that is hard as brick ) melts @ 185* F.
Seem to recall LSPs are ~ 25% Carnauba ( any more and it would be a chunk for skis ) and what it is cut down with lowers the melting point to that flash point range.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Flash point gives you an idea of the melting point of it.

Pure Carnauba wax ( the stuff that is hard as brick ) melts @ 185* F.
Seem to recall LSPs are ~ 25% Carnauba ( any more and it would be a chunk for skis ) and what it is cut down with lowers the melting point to that flash point range.
No, the melting point and flash point are two very different temperatures and should never be thought of as the same thing or confused. The flash point is the temperature that a liquid will produce enough vapor to ignite and burn. Think of car wax like a candle with out a wick and go drop a match in a tin of #16 or Carnauba wax and it will melt first then it will start to burn once it reaches the flash point.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by dsq3973
No, the melting point and flash point are two very different temperatures and should never be thought of as the same thing or confused. The flash point is the temperature that a liquid will produce enough vapor to ignite and burn. Think of car wax like a candle with out a wick and go drop a match in a tin of #16 or Carnauba wax and it will melt first then it will start to burn once it reaches the flash point.
Exactly.

That is why I posted
idea of the melting point of it
Melting point is always lower than the flash point.
- How much lower depends on the item.

Just checked the a MSDS for #1 Yellow Carnauba wax
Melting point : 181.4 * F
Flash Point : 570* F

Hard to say exactly what the melting point of 845 is with a flash point of 140*, but it is lower.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Hard to say exactly what the melting point of 845 is with a flash point of 140*, but it is lower.
The flash and or melting point will be greatly increased when cured, as then the dissolvent has flashed off.

But in any case, Menzerna MPL will be nest to impossible to beat.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LTMARK
The flash and or melting point will be greatly increased when cured, as then the dissolvent has flashed off.

But in any case, Menzerna MPL will be nest to impossible to beat.
Exactly. And if you want a really durable sweet looking finish that will be easy to apply and remove, try Menzerna Power Lock with a topper of Collonite 845 - applied a day later.

Quick Reply: Longer lasting wax?