what kind of wax does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtracer138
What do you guys recommend for the FX4 appearance package with the factory decals? I know in the past I have been told not to use wax on decals.
I've always waxed right over decals but I made sure to spend the extra time getting the wax off around them afterwards.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Menzerna Power Lock

or

Optimum Opti-Seal or spray wax

All three are very easy to apply, when done right the two Optimum products go on with no additional steps other than applying, one step and your done! All three will last 6+weeks with no maintance other than washing with a good soap(Megs gold class is fine). The less you touch your paint the better. I have used 845, MPL, AGHD, Glanz wax, and Chem Guys BL and V7, and just recently started using the Optimum products, they are fantastic!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipraw
I would suggest one change to this. I would skip the wax and quik wax and order a good sealant from Autogeek or someplace like that. For what you spend on the Ultimate wax and quik wax you can buy a bottle of Menzerna Power Lock or Wolfgang 3.0 that will yield much better results. Either can be applied by hand.

Make sure you know how to properly wash and dry, and do not buy cheap microfiber towels.
I would still buy the quik wax or something similar for use after every wash. I use it and it takes me 15 minutes. This will greatly lengthen the time between full detail jobs. All you need to do is very lightly mist it on and wipe it off with a microfiber towel.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 AM
There are options for a D/A buffer: Harbor Freight has a new unit that has gotten decent reviews for $50. They also have foam pads available, but I would stick with Lake Country or such. I use a Griots, and love it. Don't buy a cheapie Wal-mart "wax spreader" tool - waste of $$$$.

Jim

Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Autogeekonline.net is an AMAZING forum for a ton of knowledge on detailing. Autogeek.net has all the products and more that you could ever need. Do your research on the forum. I have a 2005 black FX4 and its very difficult to keep clean. Money may be an issue but if you want to do it right you have to have the proper products.
I use a Porter Cable 7424XP DA polisher, Lake Country CCS pads, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Wolfgang finishing polish, Wolfgang paint sealant. On top of that Collinite 845.
By using these products your black truck will have a mirror finish. All the thin spider scratches will be gone. I can't emphasize enough to go to that forum and watch videos and read some threads. You will be amazed at the knowledge and help some of those people will give you!!!

Old 04-28-2013, 02:31 AM
glc
Don't forget thedetailerscafe.com - they aren't affiliated with any vendors. You will see some familiar names over there.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 AM
There are a lot of very good Last Step Products (LSP) on the market but sadly you won't find any of them at Wal-Mart or your local auto parts store.

As stated above Meguiars makes some excellent compounds, polishes and their microfiber disc with D300. The Megs weak spot is their LSP product line.

There are waxes, sealants and the recent entry "coatings". Each one lasts a bit longer. Wax 2-4 weeks, Sealant 2-4 months and coatings over a year.

The "trick" is paint preparation before LSP application. This may include polishing your paint (if needed) to remove any fine scratches and swirl marks.

A DA polisher is "safe" and takes 10 minutes to learn. If you apply LSP to paint with swirls and scratches you will have very shiny swirls and scratches!

Warmth, depth, wet-look, gloss, bright, shiny, reflective, durability, longevity. IMHO no one product has them all. Wax has the least amount of longevity.

Light colors and black colors each have their own group of LSP products that make them look best. If polished correctly a $3.98 wax will look awesome.

Now on to a basic rule: If you own a black vehicle and want to keep it looking its best then you should purchase a DA polisher and learn how to use it.
This just comes with owning black & wanting to keep it nice. It's simple. If you have 14' vaulted ceilings in your home you need to purchase a ladder

Short list of a few products I like and use a lot, Zaino Z-2, ZFX and Z-6, Blackfire Wet Diamond AFPP, Collinite 845 and 915, CQuartz and CQuartz Finest.

Last edited by Merlin; 05-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I use Adam's polishes.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Meguiars NXT or Gold Class.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Meguiars cleaner wax is all I use along with their quick detailer. 3M makes some body-shop-quality products too and I used them at the limo service and motorcycle shops I have worked at (of course, I wasn't the one paying 3M prices!)

Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2xl2001
Meguiars cleaner wax is all I use along with their quick detailer. 3M makes some body-shop-quality products too and I used them at the limo service and motorcycle shops I have worked at (of course, I wasn't the one paying 3M prices!)

I have used Meguiars cleaner wax for years also...just wanted too see what others use maybe give me some ideas on another kind allways looking to try different wax

Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Merlin- your words about preparing the paint surface are so very true...often the when the pros give advice, they apparently take it for granted that the consumer knows this already. carnuba looks like carnuba but your eyes (and often your tired arms) will tell you if a product works well and looks great. Well chosen products will make the detailing process easier but don't expect a new paint job out of a container of wax. I find a cleaner wax usually covers two steps and is forgiving for a daily driver but better results can be had if you begin with a fully prepared paint surface. A car museum may not need clay bars because the vehicles aren't subjected to harsh road conditions but a clay bar works amazing after a vehicle has been down the road a few thousand miles. Waxes themselves can trap contaminents as much or more than an unprotected surface. One of the slickest detail jobs I have ever seen on a car used a coat of liquid glass brand sealer to achieve it's deep,high gloss but the work involved before applying it was no less than a whole lot of hours at a body shop getting the paint perfect for it's application.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by 4.2xl2001
Merlin- your words about preparing the paint surface are so very true...often the when the pros give advice, they apparently take it for granted that the consumer knows this already.

...but don't expect a new paint job out of a container of wax.
I find a cleaner wax usually covers two steps and is forgiving for a daily driver but better results can be had if you begin with a fully prepared paint surface.

a clay bar works amazing after a vehicle has been down the road...
Thank you for your kind words.

Have you tried the Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge – FINE Grade?

Name:  Nanoskin-Speedy-Prep-Sponge-SM.gif
Views: 32
Size:  15.4 KB

Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 AM
ive been using killerwaxx and im very satisfied

Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 AM
glc
Originally Posted by Merlin
Got a direct link to that thing?

Quick Reply: what kind of wax does everyone use?