what kind of wax does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of wax does everyone use?

I'm a big fan of meguiars car cleaner liquid wax that you can buy at just about any part store and walmart...Seems like its about the only one I have ever used..What kind do you guys use and have had good luck with? probabily want something I can apply by hand or machine ( Orbital Buffer) and something I can buy local at part store or walmart..Really dont want to order it...I just got this truck and its black its 2004 F150 FX4 trying to keep it cleaned and waxed so it dont start rusting like my old one did..Anyone got any tips for keeping a black truck clean??

Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Keeping a black truck clean is tough.
Avoid paint swirls, and it'll look great.

I have Menzerna PL polymer paint sealant on my truck, with Griot's Best of Show Wax on top of that.

The next wax I want to try is Collinite 845.
I know you said you don't want to order anything, but I've only heard good things
about the Collinite's durability.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by ALAN50501
Anyone got any tips for keeping a black truck clean??
Go trade it in on another color........

But in all seriousness I would not apply wax to a black truck with a buffer just because black is going to show any marring induced by the buffer and make the paint look hazy quicker than applying the wax by hand using proper washing and application technique along with good quality MF towels for removal. As far as wax is concerned I like Meg's NXT 2.0 and Meg's #26 for a liquid Carnauba wax they can be found at just about any parts store or place like Walmart.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Don't go down any back roads...that'll keep it clean longer haha. I live on a back road so trying to keep my truck clean can be a headache. One of the best things you can do is stay on top of it and not let it get too dirty. Once a year I do a full detail and get rid of the swirling in the paint. Wash and clay then I use a DA and apply the following: Meg's Ultimate Compound, Scratch-X, M205, and then apply NXT 2.0 wax by hand - in that order. This summer I plan on adding some Liquid Glass to that list, as I've heard that is a great sealant. Other than that, just wax around once a month, or as needed. Also, give it a quick detail when with Meguiar's QD when it needs touched up. I know most of those products can be found at Walmart or AutoZone.

Last edited by Zander10893; 04-22-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
But in all seriousness I would not apply wax to a black truck with a buffer just because black is going to show any marring induced by the buffer and make the paint look hazy quicker than applying the wax by hand
I absolutely disagree with this.

If you have a good machine, and proper pads there is nothing wrong with applying your LSP by machine and removing it by hand.

OP - You own a black truck. If you want it to look nice, you will need to step up to better quality products than you can buy at Walmart. Nothing you buy at Walmart is going to last worth a crap

Menzerna Power lock would be a good choice.

Do some reading on the proper way to wash and dry a vehicle to minimize the amount of correction you are going to have to do.

Maintaining a black vehicle without using a DA is doable, but it is a ton of work and your technique has to be perfect.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing you buy at Walmart is going to last worth a crap

This is generally true, but you're wrong.
They stock Meguiars "ultimate" products, and they work great. Ultimate Compound, Polish and Wax work excellently. Personally I use Blackfire Wet Diamond as an LSP, but the Compound and Polish are really good.

Jim

Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Go trade it in on another color........

But in all seriousness I would not apply wax to a black truck with a buffer just because black is going to show any marring induced by the buffer and make the paint look hazy quicker than applying the wax by hand using proper washing and application technique along with good quality MF towels for removal. As far as wax is concerned I like Meg's NXT 2.0 and Meg's #26 for a liquid Carnauba wax they can be found at just about any parts store or place like Walmart.
LOL just got truck like 2 weeks ago I like it just not black but it was by far the best f 150 I seen at any other car lot other ones I seen had ripped seats rust etc... this one was in perfect shape no rust not many scratches was very clean and taking care of

Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 PM
ok know I'm not reach by any means.. I get social security each month so money is kinda an object for me in some stuff can buy some good wax no problem there....having said that will one of them Orbital Buffer's walmart sell work for waxing without hurting the truck or making it look like crap? They are like 30.00 at walmart or something like that I do have one of them have had it a few years

Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by ALAN50501
ok know I'm not reach by any means.. I get social security each month so money is kinda an object for me in some stuff can buy some good wax no problem there....having said that will one of them Orbital Buffer's walmart sell work for waxing without hurting the truck or making it look like crap? They are like 30.00 at walmart or something like that I do have one of them have had it a few years
No. They aren't worth the effort it takes to go buy them and the pads and bonnets are not good enough quality. You are better off spending that money on a good LSP (wax or sealant) and some good microfiber towels.

Last edited by Gipraw; 04-22-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by jaymz
Nothing you buy at Walmart is going to last worth a crap

This is generally true, but you're wrong.
They stock Meguiars "ultimate" products, and they work great. Ultimate Compound, Polish and Wax work excellently. Personally I use Blackfire Wet Diamond as an LSP, but the Compound and Polish are really good.

Jim
I am not wrong. I never said they didn't work well, I said they don't last worth a crap. The compound and polish work fine but if you are going to put the effort into polishing your paint, you should use an LSP that will last and protect longer than two weeks. Apparently you agree with me since you are using Blackfire.

Meg's Ultimate Wax isn't bad for an over the counter product, but it isn't in the same ballpark as Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang, Blackfire or a few others.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
No. They aren't worth the effort it takes to go buy them and the pads and bonnets are not good enough quality. You are better off spending that money on a good LSP (wax or sealant) and some good microfiber towels.
ok...I seen one some place online cant remember name of it but I think it was just over 100.00..May work on trying to get that one cant think of the name of it

Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you can't afford to get a DA polisher and the appropriate products, do everything by hand. Orbitals are junk. The pro detailers are recommending very good stuff here, but you can do a fair job with over-the-counter products by hand, although it will be time-consuming and require a lot of elbow grease.

Go to Walmart and get:

Meguiars Gold Class car wash soap
Meguiars or Mothers clay bar kit
Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, Liquid Wax, and Quik Wax (spray)

Lambswool type wash mitt
Microfiber towel assortment - for drying, removing product (NOT cheapies)
Microfiber applicators (for products that don't come with an applicator)

Once you get it all done, the Quik Wax spray should be used after EVERY wash job to help boost the wax. No applicator needed, you can simply use a small microfiber towel with it.

EDIT: Here is an excellent DA kit for novices:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...ction-kit.html

The products are very easy to use.

Last edited by glc; 04-22-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If you can't afford to get a DA polisher and the appropriate products, do everything by hand. Orbitals are junk. The pro detailers are recommending very good stuff here, but you can do a fair job with over-the-counter products by hand, although it will be time-consuming and require a lot of elbow grease.

appreciate

Thanks for that info appreciate it willmake sure to write it down and next time I go there will make sure to get this stuff

Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by glc

Go to Walmart and get:

Meguiars Gold Class car wash soap
Meguiars or Mothers clay bar kit
Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, Liquid Wax, and Quik Wax (spray)

Lambswool type wash mitt
Microfiber towel assortment - for drying, removing product (NOT cheapies)
Microfiber applicators (for products that don't come with an applicator)

Once you get it all done, the Quik Wax spray should be used after EVERY wash job to help boost the wax. No applicator needed, you can simply use a small microfiber towel with it.

I would suggest one change to this. I would skip the wax and quik wax and order a good sealant from Autogeek or someplace like that. For what you spend on the Ultimate wax and quik wax you can buy a bottle of Menzerna Power Lock or Wolfgang 3.0 that will yield much better results. Either can be applied by hand.

Make sure you know how to properly wash and dry, and do not buy cheap microfiber towels.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM
What do you guys recommend for the FX4 appearance package with the factory decals? I know in the past I have been told not to use wax on decals.

Quick Reply: what kind of wax does everyone use?