Does anyone NOT have door cracks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone NOT have door cracks?

I figured I'd take a backwards approach and ask if anyone who has significant mileage/repetitive use of the power/manual window does NOT have any signs of door cracks. My truck was built in May of 2000, I use the power window whenever I need too, and have no signs of door cracks. I know you all will think I'm blind and/or stupid, but I've practiced on the passenger side window numerous times (the one least used) and I can find NO evidence of any kind of metal bowing with the window going up or down, nor can I feel any metal movement. I've also had two of my neighbors look/feel for something, to no avail. I've read posts where people say the metal bowing is clearly obvious.

I'm extremely reluctant to visit a dealer for "unusual" service, probably because I'm guessing they might not know what they are doing and screw something else up (regardless of how simple the procedure is, if it ain't broke don't fix it). I'm even more reluctant when the problem may or may not exist, as there are contradicting posts as to when the fix went in place.

So -

1) Does anyone NOT have cracks
2) Has anyone received verbal or written confirm from Ford as to when the fix went in place and at which plants?

Old 08-22-2001, 07:24 PM
I don't have any/manual windows/1.5yrs of use/build date 12/99

Old 08-23-2001, 01:32 AM
I have a build date of May 2000, my dealer installed the latest fix for the door cracks in June of this year.

Old 08-23-2001, 07:24 AM
Re: Does anyone NOT have door cracks?

Originally posted by cpadpl
Does anyone NOT have cracks?
Cpadpl,

Build date 04/28/2000, took delivery 08/20/2000 (@ 5 miles), now 14670 - no door cracks to-date . . . ! I am on record with my dealer to get 'the fix' but, don't want anything to do with the 'preventive fix'. Of course, I did have to give them a copy of the SB - they never did get one!

And, I have to agree with you on most of our Ford service departments - I'd rather not have them messing with my truck! I took an extended warranty in place of the radiator replacement mainly because of the damages posted here that happened during the replacement.

Bob

Old 08-23-2001, 07:24 AM
I have a '99 that's crack free, so far.

Old 08-23-2001, 07:33 AM
None here! Of course I haven't seen my truck in 3 months so it is was quite possible it has them now

Old 08-23-2001, 08:09 AM
Re: Re: Does anyone NOT have door cracks?

swampview,

That's interesting. Are you saying I can go on record with my dealer to get a fix before my 36k is out, but can opt not to get the preventative fix? What is the "other fix", isn't it sanding it down and painting over it when and IF it appears? I wouldn't be able to do a new door deal, because I have a dash kit with two pieces on each door (unless they offered to take the inside off my doors and put them on the new doors). Besides, I can't believe Ford would offer new door replacements, that's got to be expensive (not to mention the color would be off with new doors and a truck that's been in the sun for years).

What I'm trying to do here is figure if I shouldn't just bite the bullet and get the prevent at my 30k which is coming up in a few months. I guess I'm a little more tolerant than some other Ford truck owners, in that I'm too busy with the real word to go into a hysteria that my truck might get two little cracks on the doors. Cleary, some people do NOT have cracks (I believe Dennis said he has a 1999, Max Mitchell's was built in 12/99).

Thanks all for the responses. I still don't know what I'm going to do. But I do know that getting the damn prevent door fix will probably turn my 1-day 30k service into a 2-day deal, and when I get it back my armrest will probably fall off...

Old 08-23-2001, 08:56 AM
No cracks, power windows, build Oct 99, 27,000.

Had a 97, power windows, 32,000, no cracks

Old 08-23-2001, 09:12 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Let me take this oppurtunity to officially jinx myself

Build date 3/23/99, took delivery 4/1/99. 39,500 miles.

Window operated fully at least twice a day, that's nearly 2000 cycles.

No sign of crack.

Old 08-23-2001, 12:46 PM
Consider yourself jinxed!

Just say no to crack!

Old 08-23-2001, 05:27 PM
cpadpl,

If you went with a new door, Ford would only replace the affected part, namely the skin or outside of the door. All the rest of the parts would be recycled from the existing door. I'm quite certain that if you did any mods to the surface of the inside of the door, then it would transfer over to the new skin. On the other hand, if you have some kind of permanent graphics painted on the outside of the door, you'll be outta luck on getting that back.

Old 08-23-2001, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Build date early 7/2000..took delivery 7/31/2000.

No cracks in either door.

Old 08-23-2001, 10:53 PM
Thumbs up

I've had three of these Trucks--A '97,'99 & a 2000 (with a build date of 12/99) none of which have had the door crack problem. All of them had/have pwr windows that were used reguarly. It's a mystery why some crack & some don't but I've seen plenty of cracked doors on these Trucks. As far as having the "preventive" fix done on my Truck-------Highly unlikely!

JJ

Old 08-24-2001, 07:51 AM
Re: Re: Re: Does anyone NOT have door cracks?

Originally posted by cpadpl
I still don't know what I'm going to do. But I do know that getting the damn prevent door fix will probably turn my 1-day 30k service into a 2-day deal, and when I get it back my armrest will probably fall off...
cpadpl,

As we are finding out, every dealer is a little different. Mine, Portmouth Ford, Portsmouth, NH, has logged the door problem into his computer and informed me that I could opt for the preventive fix or wait until I actually have the cracks. I was never able to determine if all our trucks get the cracks, or only 50% of the trucks get the cracks, or if only 75% of our trucks get the cracks, or whatever!

I like my dealer, they have treated me fairly with every problem I've taken to them, but I'm still not sure about having their mechanic mishandling my truck. My truck is a jewel to me but just another job to the mechanic! I have already got my truck back with greasy hand prints from one end to the other and all they did was change out the bedliner. So, I'm going to wait . . . !

BTW: tell me about your dash kit - where, how much, etc. I am getting tired of looking at the great expance of grey in my truck!

Swampview

Old 08-24-2001, 10:06 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone NOT have door cracks?

swampview,

Thanks for the info. I truly trust the dealer I go to, it's just really (like I said) if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have complete confidence in routine maitenance that they do all the time, but do not want to be the beta test for their first door repair (or even their twentieth). I can see them not having ever heard about such a problem, then trying to figure out who to get to do the work - "Hey who's available in the body shop today to do this special door work? Oh Randy is, well Randy usually does dent removal, but what the heck, here are the instructions Randy, figure it out." Next thing I know I get my truck back with my power windows not working...

Anyway, dash kit. I looked long and hard for mine, although a million opinions abound on this board, and I believe this site also sells them. I wanted an absolute balance between not even dash kit and too much, which is why I wanted a 7-piece kit. My formed dash kit has a steering wheel surround, an instrument panel surround, a radio bezel surround, a left & right door switch panel, and left & right door pull panels. In other words, without too much dash kit, I wanted a continuity of dash kit when you would "pan" from left to right in your car. A 5-piece kit only has 1 little doohicky right door swtich panel on the entire passenger side, and i feel like that extra piece (the door pull) just makes it look more evenly distribution.

Anyway, this site I found, customautotrim.com, had one for the 2000 F-150 in this color that I just couldn't find anywhere else called Regal Burl (looks really great with a grey interior). The cost was a little pricey, about $400, but I couldn't be happier. Installation was a breeze, although I would have requested more 3M adhesive promotor when I bought because I ran out during installation and had to get more from them.

Quick Reply: Does anyone NOT have door cracks?