Repaint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Repaint Questions

I haven't contacted anyone yet... not sure if I will get some quotes together this fall, or wait one more winter season and get quotes in the spring. Anyhow, I am looking to get my truck repainted or blended. The same color of course.

The reason I want a repaint is because I have a lot of scrapes, dents and some rust forming on the usual places. Like on the bottom front corners of bed, in the rear and front wheel wells. Along with the bottom door sills.

Plus I need to get my doors realigned.

I want to get to the rust before it gets out of hand.

I'm sure there are body men that visit this forum. What would be a ball park... I could take pictures. But from what I described, what would you say a reasonable cost might be?

It doesn't have to be the worlds best paint job, after all it's just a truck. But I'd prefer to have no rust, and a mediocre paint job. (What I mean by mediocre is not a newbie body man learning... but rather done where it looks somewhat factory.)

The sad part about it, my frame is nicer than the body, because I clean it and paint it every single year.

Last edited by ManualF150; 07-27-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=ManualF150;5006220]IIt doesn't have to be the worlds best paint job, after all it's just a truck. But I'd prefer to have no rust, and a mediocre paint job.[QUOTE]

The sad truth is, a "good" paint job starts with good prep work. In fact the biggest difference between a cheap paint job and a high quality paint job is almost all in the prep work. So if you want the rust problem to be addressed properly, you'll want a good paint job, not a cheap one.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
[QUOTE=2stroked;5006221][QUOTE=ManualF150;5006220]IIt doesn't have to be the worlds best paint job, after all it's just a truck. But I'd prefer to have no rust, and a mediocre paint job.

The sad truth is, a "good" paint job starts with good prep work. In fact the biggest difference between a cheap paint job and a high quality paint job is almost all in the prep work. So if you want the rust problem to be addressed properly, you'll want a good paint job, not a cheap one.
Hmm... I see.

You've got a point. I suppose I should just find the right person to do the job right and spend that extra money for peace of mind.

I'm not planning on getting rid of the truck for a really, really, really long time, only because I don't drive it often. So a good paint job is probably due.

Besides, it's only got roughly 50k on it, but it looks like it's got 150k on it. lol

Quick Reply: Repaint Questions