AAARGH! Stinking dealer drilled holes in my FENDER!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AAARGH! Stinking dealer drilled holes in my FENDER!!

Well, I went to start my first wax job on my new truck (3K miles as of today). The dealer I purchased from attached their usual free advertising to the front and rear license plate holders, a sticker on the tailgate and what APPEARED to be two badges on the fenders about 2" below the factory "F-150" badge.
The badges are shaped like the state of Alaska. It is a royal pain to wash around, let alone wax around, so I decided that I would get out the hair dryer and start working them loose.
WRONG!! I pulled on them and these two badges on the fender have 3 posts on the back. The dealer DRILLED 3 holes in the fender of MY NEW TRUCK to install these!!!!
Holy crap!I don't mind stickers, but these basically can't be removed now or I'll have three ugly holes in my fender.

Am I over reacting? I think it is absolutely nuts that a dealer could do such a thing!

Old 08-26-2001, 04:58 AM
I don't think you're over reacting.

I am in complete aggreement that your dealer is way out of line to turn your truck into a rolling advertisement without your consent. A sticker or dealer plates are easy enough to remove but actually modifying a new vehicle to highlight his own interest is in my opinion insulting. Makes it feel less like your very own truck.

I was a little lucky in that my truck was a special order and didn't have any dealer stickers at all. Did you speak to the owner of the dealership? I'd imagine that this is his policy.

Sounds like an absolutely beautiful F-150. If you buy a truck at the price these are going for you really should be getting what "YOU" want without any unpleasant surprizes after the sale. Maybe it will only take a phone call to the owner to resovle this (he can replace the parts he modified). I suppose you could also call Ford Customer Relations. I don't think they would approve of any dealer of theirs doing something that makes a customer unhappy.

Best of luck,RockOFFROAD

Old 08-26-2001, 08:25 AM
Bolted on badges? That's outrageous. My dealer is good enough to not even put stickers on. All he does is use one of their plastic plate frames on the rear....like I'm gonna leave that crappy thing on the back of my truck.

I'd complain direct to the dealer and if they don't react, to Ford. You may not get yours fixed, but maybe Ford will develop a dealer policy.

Old 08-26-2001, 08:44 AM
If anything, you are UNDER-reacting. I don't know if I would even start at the dealer at this point. BBB, Ford Motor Co, etc. What if a vehicle developed a serious section of body rust starting from those holes? How dare they deface something you bought for $25K+. I am pissed and it's not my truck!

If on the tailgate, I would suggest to them that they swap it for gate off of a lot unit. If they mess with you, get some large vinyl lettering with magnetic backs with the dealer name and "sucks" or something similar. Show up at the lot on Sat. Morning! That will get their attention.

Old 08-26-2001, 05:35 PM
Angry RockOFFROAD-

That's a real crock !! Oh well, just another place for rust to form. I always remove all advertising if already installed and tell them not to install them if they haven't yet. Maybe you can pull a banner around town advertising for them.

Old 08-26-2001, 06:03 PM
Don't let them get away with it. Make them give you a new truck that doesn't have any dealer added embelishments. That is not what you ordered and not what you expected when you took delivery.

If they protest, call Ford immediately. Also call your state's regulatory agency that deals with car dealers and file a complaint. While you're at it, file one with the BBB and contact the local newspaper and TV station, especially if they have a consumer hotline or reporter.

Hell, I'd get a lawyer and sue them for defacing my truck if I was in your position and they didn't rectify the problem to my satisfaction.

Old 08-26-2001, 06:32 PM
That Really SUCK!!!!! I would be beside myself if that was my truck. I wouldn't even go to the dealer. RIGHT TO FORD with this one!!!!!! This dealer is crazy or what??!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to end it here, I am getting pissed thinking about it...

Old 08-26-2001, 11:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a new one for me bolted on badges on the fenders that is going way to far in dealer advertising.

Old 08-26-2001, 11:38 PM
Makes me MAD. Besides placing non-removeable advertising on the truck (don't get me started), I would worry about the extra exposure to rust. The front fender is steel right? Did they properly primer and paint the raw metal after drilling the holes. Make the dealer pull the badge and show you how the surface was properly sealed. Maybe the dealer could give you a written 10 year warranty against rust on the badge mount locations. I would WRITE to Ford also. Tell them your concern of the additional risk for rusting.

Old 08-27-2001, 01:45 AM
Thumbs up Good ideas - Thanks everyone

Well,
Good to know you all feel the same way. The darned badges have plastic posts with the nub on the end, you know, similar to those "one time" things used to hold the trim on. You guys know what I mean...
I didn't pull them the whole way off, afraid they'd break and then they'd be loose..or worse nothing but holes in the fender, so I can't tell if they prepped the area.
Anyway, I so PO'd yesterday, I called my salesman, not that he can rectify, but figured it was the best place to start. He wasn't in and I left a message, no call back all weekend. I'll try again tomorrow.

Those are some excellent suggestions on how they can make it up. I am of a mind to start with asking for new fenders..and work down (if I have to) to the corrosion warranty idea..
You guys would have to see these things to understand how ugly they are. I mean, nothing against the state of AK, but I don't want it on the side of my truck! I thought about covering them with another Ford badge (who knows what exactly) but they are so far below the F-150 badge it would look stupid. I'll have to get a pic of these so you guys can see this!!

I already hit this dealer up on the towing package radiator issue..and finally gave up. They had no idea of the differences (or at least played that way). I took in all the info from this great website, still blank/confused faces. This badge-thing is the final straw for me with this place. I was impressed with them during the sale. They're a "blue oval certified" dealer..so we'll see if the customer is TRUELY right.
Thanks for the support everyone. I'll let ya know what they say.

Rock

Old 08-27-2001, 03:39 AM
You need to update your signature with the following line:

Extra dealer installed holes in fenders

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Old 08-27-2001, 04:08 AM
Talking No kiddin'

Dennis,
I'm betting the dealer will tell me if I remove the badges...then I'll have "custom body venting"!!
Rock

Old 08-28-2001, 10:05 AM
Rockoffroad.
There may be some State regulations involved here. In California dealers don't do that (or aren't allowed to), except for Cadillac; apparently "where" you buy a caddie is as much a status symbol as the car itself.

Old 08-28-2001, 04:21 PM
I would ask them to trade your tailgate with the next truck that comes in, that is the same color.
I would bet they would not have a problem with that.
Then tell them to come out of the 1950 and enter the 21st century of 30K trucks, that no one would want extra holes drilled into.

Old 08-28-2001, 06:14 PM
Ouch!

I didn't even consider buying a pickup truck untill they stopped putting name of the model on the tailgate with contrasting paint in ten-inch-high letters.

Quick Reply: AAARGH! Stinking dealer drilled holes in my FENDER!!