Engine detailing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine detailing

I can not stand for my engine bay to be dirty .. Just going to pas on how I clean it and make it shine in no time in case anybody wants to try it.. I just spray it down with simple green, use just low pressure water hose to rinse off, after that I spray everything down with spray foam tire shine, it cleans off the light dirt the simple green missed , let it set for a few minutes and lightly rinse off , if it's still not shiny like I like it, I will use the spray foam tire shine again.... It works great and quick and easy.. Hope this helps

Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Be VERY careful - the cops are very sensitive to water, as are a lot of the electrical connectors.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gbctrdrman
I can not stand for my engine bay to be dirty .. Just going to pas on how I clean it and make it shine in no time in case anybody wants to try it.. I just spray it down with simple green, use just low pressure water hose to rinse off, after that I spray everything down with spray foam tire shine, it cleans off the light dirt the simple green missed , let it set for a few minutes and lightly rinse off , if it's still not shiny like I like it, I will use the spray foam tire shine again.... It works great and quick and easy.. Hope this helps
Hi.

Don't do anything until you've read this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...ngine-bay.html

Pay attention to the posts by Jolly Green Giant, 2Stroked and RollingRock. Best advice you'll find on doing this safely.

You do NOT want to induce random misfires - it's hell.

good luck

MGD

Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi. Don't do anything until you've read this thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...ngine-bay.html Pay attention to the posts by Jolly Green Giant, 2Stroked and RollingRock. Best advice you'll find on doing this safely. You do NOT want to induce random misfires - it's hell. good luck MGD
Thanks I will check it out.. I have been doing above listed method for years, but this is by first ford with cop's... I know they are sensitive little suckers

Old 02-10-2014, 04:18 PM

I've never touched my engine bay and probably never will. I'm the only one that sees it on occasion, and it isn't worth the risk of "irritating" some water-hating electrical component.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by gbctrdrman
Thanks I will check it out.. I have been doing above listed method for years, but this is by first ford with cop's... I know they are sensitive little suckers
Not only that, but the way the plugs and cops are designed it's very easy to fill the wells up with water, and that's instant blown cop if you try to fire it up without pulling them and drying them first.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I've never touched my engine bay and probably never will.
Yup. No reason to show off a stock engine. I don't think the service guys care how it looks either

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine's cleaned regularly. Meguiars diluted Spray Degreaser then Meg's Hyperdressing 3:1. Looks nice consistently.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I Cleaned the engine on my 03 for the first time and as luck would have it i fried 3 COPS. Lesson Learned and never again

Old 02-18-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, from what I've read over the years I don't think I'd ever wash it down. I've managed to stay on top of mine since day one.. I usually just wipe everything down best I can with a wet rag and dry.. Then I shoot all the rubber and plastic with some Adams In & Out spray. Still looks like new.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM
I clean mine often, never had a problem. I run the engine and dry it with a leaf blower or air compressor right away. Had my 2004 5.4 for ten years and my wife's 08 3.0 Fusion for 6, no issues ever. I just any general degreaser and a garden hose, then dry it (as noted prior) and spray it with tire shine.

Last edited by momalle1; 02-21-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use orange cleaner and water. Works every time......
Be careful of Simple Green, it will corrode aluminum. The Navy has suspended it's use.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 AM
And there you have it folks. Several people saying they've sprayed away and not run into any problems and some of us who've had nothing but problems with water and our Ford modular motors. I guess it boils down to that famous Clint Eastwood / Dirty Harry line: "So kid, you feeling lucky?"

I absolutely refuse to detail under the hood of a customer owned Ford with a modular motor. Just not worth the liability.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM
I spray Simple Green carefully - not near the electrical areas. Then use a small paint brush to loosen the dirt & a dry rag. Final step I use STP - Son Of A Gun Protectant to shine it up during the non winter months. I have heard that when you take your vehicle in clean for the non DYI projects, the mechanics seem to take more pride in working on your vehicle.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by rhdf150
I spray Simple Green carefully - not near the electrical areas. Then use a small paint brush to loosen the dirt & a dry rag. Final step I use STP - Son Of A Gun Protectant to shine it up during the non winter months. I have heard that when you take your vehicle in clean for the non DYI projects, the mechanics seem to take more pride in working on your vehicle.
I won't disagree with your statement that most Service Technicians tend to take more care when working on a well cared for vehicle. But the Techs at my Ford dealer completely understood why only the under hood area of my trucks looked less than stellar.

BTW, they fired one detailing guy for repeatedly steam cleaning Ford modular motors on used cars. He apparently wiped out more Coil Packs than anybody cared to count.

Quick Reply: Engine detailing