Clear bra, no underwire

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I am a fan of OPT products. There are a few others out there, but the others that I looked at have a reload of some kind.

Opti Coat 2.0 does not need a recoat or refresh on it.
Seem to recall Dr G said 5 years is what an authorized detailer applying has a warranty for. I could be wrong, I use the OC 2.0, DIY stuff.

Other nice part about it, Optimum No Rinse, mixed to QD ratio ( 2 oz to30 oz water ) is all it takes to put a shine back on it.
- No waxing needed. Actually the anti stick feature of the OC 2.0 makes it so wax will not stay on it, comes off faster than Carnauba wax on dark paint in the summer.

If marring happens in the OC 2.0 layer, it can be polished / compounded out and applied over that section.
- Most of the defects would be in the OC 2.0 layer, not in the clear coat.
Good to know, thanks boss. The ONR is great stuff... I really enjoy it myself

Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha Ha! I told you this would be personal opinion, but I didn't foresee this debacle. . .

Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM

I've explained every single reason behind every statement I have made, but you just don't like it. Fine, whatever. I have an opinion and thoughts, which you disagree with, but now you're just being a complete a$$. I think it's tacky, and YES it matters that it's there, regardless of how easy it is to detect from pictures, the Lord's way of displaying vehicles, apparently. But I'm getting crucified because of what I think because you disagree with my own personal reasoning behind it.

As a final statement, because I probably won't post on this thread again, because there's nothing left to say on my end, and because it's detracting from the OP's question and I feel that is disrespectful (I claim responsibility for it too ). And I apologize for that, as well as my overly blunt opinions and statements, as well as a few that will follow below.

I thought I was pretty familiar with how they looked, considering how many different vehicles I have seen with them. So, I felt comfortable making my comments about not liking their appearance. Is it possible I've only seen "bad" installations? Sure, no doubts about that. But, how was I supposed to know when I've seen so many of them, and in person, up close? Figured they can't ALL be bad.

Not sure how else to tell you that pictures aren't worth a damn thing compared to seeing something in person, period. 110% the truth.

None of this changes my personal opinion, derived from my own observations (with some hard-headedness thrown in), that I don't like plastic wraps, would never put one on a vehicle, don't like seeing them on high end vehicles, and think they're tacky. I won't be convinced otherwise, no matter what you try and convince be of. I just don't like them, it's not a big deal. I'm not attacking you because you support something that I think is stupid, a waste of money, and above all, something a 12 year old would put on his car.

Also, I've seen plenty with rock chips THROUGH them, so I'd say their protection level is perhaps questionable at best. Helps, sure, but not worth it to me, especially not at the exorbitant cost.

Originally Posted by madmaxmutt
Ha Ha! I told you this would be personal opinion, but I didn't foresee this debacle. . .
I didn't either, but someone just can't let it go . . . everyone has to think the way he does about some plastic.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 04-12-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I didn't either, but someone just can't let it go . . . everyone has to think the way he does about some plastic.

I obviously will take the trade off of the way it looks vs having rock chips. You cannot see it on the truck or the car without getting up close, but that is a personal choice. Either way, I will have to give an Aggie a break on judgment

Take Care!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll try to keep this simple and to the point, so maybe you will get it this time.
I've explained every single reason behind every statement I have made, but you just don't like it....<snip>...
Let me post it a 4th time.

Judge what you see, not what you think might be on the paint.
You call the VW above tacky and ugly, but this includes the pictures of fresh polished paint with nothing on it that is 98% or better.

You are not picky about paint. Do yourself a favor and do not post this again, as preferring scratches in paint to a repaint is silly. chance rust rather than a repaint, that is brilliant.
You are a bigot when it comes to some things, to dislike it from hearing the word, not actually seeing it.

...<snip>... Figured they can't ALL be bad..<snip>...
If you keep seeing work from the same shops, yes they can all be bad. That is what I posted up the page.

...<snip>... Not sure how else to tell you that pictures aren't worth a damn thing compared to seeing something in person, period. 110% the truth. .<snip>...
Someone with your skill set with a camera yes, this is true.
Again, look up the thread at the black BMW, those pictures are showing everything. You can try to post this a few more times, and it is still BS.
If you had a clue how to take pictures you would not be posting this hyperbole.

...<snip>... Also, I've seen plenty with rock chips THROUGH them, so I'd say their protection level is perhaps questionable at best. .<snip>...
11th hour non sequitur posted for some reason. I am going to call BS on this.

...<snip>...I didn't either, but someone just can't let it go . . ..
You do understand this passive aggressive post, also includes you.
- when you reply you are also not "letting it go". Bringing it up does not mean you have some moral high ground or are above the fray, it just shows you do not understand what you are posting is about yourself as well. Take notice I do not play this 8 year old game.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:23 AM

One thing to add... often times someone gets chips in their paint. Realizes it and them get chip guard after the damage is done. The film is not letting that in. We have vehicles at home with it. Its works.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well this thread was very entertaining

Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FordGuy24
x2.....

Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x3. don't know how I missed this one.

Great posts, information and pics, SSCULLY. Your a patient man.

Last edited by tg150; 06-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM
was so entertained by the thread replies, forgot to post a reply myself. bra went on perfect. you really have to look for it to see the line. very pleased. did the mirrors, leading 18" of hood, and bumper. will take pics when I get a chance.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 AM

Great to hear! When done properly, that's how it should be.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TX Ranger
was so entertained by the thread replies, forgot to post a reply myself. bra went on perfect. you really have to look for it to see the line. very pleased. did the mirrors, leading 18" of hood, and bumper. will take pics when I get a chance.
With just the leading edge done, be careful if you put a DA on the hood.
- It will peal that up in no time flat if you catch it with a pad.

Glad it turned out great, some nice high noon shots would be terrific.

Sun over head, and tilt the camera to get a good angle on it.
If the auto focus does not pick up correct, put a small nip of paint clay on the line. That will force the camera to focus on the clay, and show everything.
- Small pro tip I got from someone, the other option is to point at it with your finger. Auto focus to your finger should also pick it up as well. I like the clay trick as I can use a very small piece and center focus ( instead of multi focus ) the camera to it if I am using the auto focus.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by FordGuy24
Originally Posted by 88racing
x2.....
Originally Posted by tg150
x3. don't know how I missed this one.

Great posts, information and pics, SSCULLY. Your a patient man.
Glad I could help provide some entertainment for y'all with some asshatery

I've since seen one car have the film "properly" applied to just the hood, wrapped around the edges. Fenders and bumper, etc. all still looked bad. Hood looked good though.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by jaymz
IMHO this is the only way to go. Put this stuff on the repaint of my 2002 SVT Lightning and 3 yrs later, still no chips!
Amazon.com : Dominion Sure Seal Crystal Clear 2k Chip Guard (Quart Kit) - BCG4 : Everything Else

Jim
Could you take a close up pic of the application. Curious to see how it looks.

Would you say it looks close to a regular painted panel?

Quick Reply: Clear bra, no underwire