First Time Body Care

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Body Care

Okay, for the newbie here with 18 days and 1800 miles of ownership under the belt on my new SCrew, what do you recommend for first time care on this new beauty?

In these first 18 days I have been to the car wash 4 times just to spray clean the dirt and bugs, but haven't done anything major yet. What do you experts advise I do first?

Old 09-07-2001, 05:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

I've never owned a brand spanking new rig before, so don't know what the finish is like, but I just use the off the shelf Zymol wax. Got it at Kmart or Walmart. It's a carnuba wax and has no petroleum based ingredients.

Keep it clean in between as necessary. I like to use my California Duster to keep the fine dust off it between washings. The wax really helps with keeping it smooth so the duster won't scratch.

Old 09-09-2001, 11:59 PM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Smile

I asked my body shop guru about this. He told me that the new finishes, meaning modern base coat/clear coats, do not need waxing. Just keep them washed and they will be fine.

My BRAND NEW BEAUTIFUL TRUCK has 26,000 miles on it, and has it's share of minor scratches etc. I showed these to him, and he recommended polishing by hand! He said use meguiars fine cut (It may have been heavy cut, I need to call him in the morning about this) and gently rub it in the direction of the scratch 3 or 4 times to make sure you dont go through the clear coat. Then follow up using meguiars swirl remover for the rest of the job.

I tried using the the meguiars heavy cut on some light scratches and it took them right out. So I guess I am on the right track...

--karl

Old 09-10-2001, 07:44 AM
Zaino

Check the finish. If it feels as smooth as glass, great, but if not, use a clay product (Zaino's Claybar is what I used).

I've now done 6 different vehicles in my family and they call came out great.

Check my website for pictures.

Zaino Brothers makes the best products!

Quick Reply: First Time Body Care