How To Detail???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Detail???

Hello everyone, so I just picked up my new truck, ( well new to me, anyway). 2011 Harley F150, BLACK. The paint seems to be in pretty good condition, but I do notice some light swirl marks. I figured for what I would pay to have my truck detailed just once, I can buy the products and do it several times myself. With just a little bit of guidance. Any recommendations on the products, brands and tools I should buy? And 1 questions that I never seem to get a straight answer for from people ive asked, is it better to detail your car in the Sun or in the Shade?

Thanks,

Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 PM
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Detailing-101

Check out the forum, youll find everything from wash methods to DA use. To answer some of your questions,

Park in the shade (avoiding water spotting)

Swirls and Small scratches
Megs Scratch X 2.0

RID's (Random isolated deep scratches)
Megs Ultimate Compound

Keep in mind, a swirl is a bunch of small scratches, and as with any scratch, you need to level the surrounding paint to make it disappear. As this is removing paint (most of the time very minimal amounts) , you need to take care with machine tools.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it in the shade.

Get on some detailing sites and read, read, read. Educate yourself!

I've been doing this for years and here's what I am currently using:

Griots 6" D/A (most power). If you're on a tight budget, get a Harbor Freight DA (now on sale for $58).

Asst of Lake Country foam pads: 1 yellow; two orange; two white; one blue or red.

Megs #101 (or Ult Compound is OK).
Megs #205
Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant
Wet Glaze 2.0

Other stuff works OK too...no single "best product"

Jim

Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by jaymz
Do it in the shade.

Get on some detailing sites and read, read, read. Educate yourself!

I've been doing this for years and here's what I am currently using:

Griots 6" D/A (most power). If you're on a tight budget, get a Harbor Freight DA (now on sale for $58).

Asst of Lake Country foam pads: 1 yellow; two orange; two white; one blue or red.

Megs #101 (or Ult Compound is OK).
Megs #205
Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant
Wet Glaze 2.0

Other stuff works OK too...no single "best product"

Jim
I'm gonna second the HF DA. A lot of people will tell you to get something like a 7424XP, but unless you're doing it professionally, it's really not worth the cost IMHO.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Don't forget to clay.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are just starting out, look at the Meguiars 5" MicroFiber kit and then add in a LSP that you like / want.

The MF kit is designed for those just stepping up from the wash - wax process and are looking to step up their game.

The DA, there is not one with "More Power" over another in the bulk price category. They are all about the same as far as power, and have about the same size motion/arc.
- You would need to step up to a 300.00 + price range DA to see a change in the correcting power. This is something you may or may not look at down the road, not something to concern with just starting out.

The HF one, I have not tried this one, but to save 60.00 I would not chance it.
- If it is like other HF tools I have used, when they let lose, I would not want it on my hood. The PC 7424 is 118.00 on Amazon w/ Prime.

The MF kit is 62.00 ( Amazon Prime ) comes with the backing plate, 2 "cutting" pads, 2 finishing pads and the product for each pad type.
- The cutting pad is not really a cutting pad, it is less aggressive than a LC cutting pad and the products will be good enough to get you going.

Aside from the DA and the MF kit, add in some clay ( good catch bogeyrider63 ) and a LSP.
- The "wax that is included with the MF kit is more glaze than wax / sealant. Glaze is a queen for a day product, it will not last that long.

This is a setup that is designed for people that are just stepping up from wash & wax process to more advanced paint work. The Megs MF kit will give you the experience with doing correction, without having to worry about making a mistake ( the LC yellow pad suggestion above is not a good idea when just starting out, that is a very aggressive pad )

Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Everything you need in one kit:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...ction-kit.html

DA, microfiber, and synthetic sealant. Just add clay.

Trending Topics

Old 07-01-2014, 01:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A friend of mine has the HF polisher. I think that it is half orbital and half vibrator, spend the few extra bucks and get a brand name tool. If you don't like it you can easily sell it for $60 less than you bought it for and that would be a break even with spending $60 on the HF.

Jaymz talked me into the groits and I am very happy with mine, more amps than the Porter Cable and Lifetime warranty, can't beat that!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I think it's worth mentioning, especially to some that have taken it for granted, went an guy/gal is asking a general question, and not getting down to the nitty gritty (pun intended), that acronyms be dis-included. Some acronyms aren't wildly known, and are only within our community. I have admittedly had to go on a safari for acronym definitions rather than drop my pants and ask in the thread.

To the point, also, autogeek.net has some good resources.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DA, there is not one with "More Power" over another in the bulk price category. They are all about the same as far as power, and have about the same size motion/arc.
- You would need to step up to a 300.00 + price range DA to see a change in the correcting power. This is something you may or may not look at down the road, not something to concern with just starting out.

The HF one, I have not tried this one, but to save 60.00 I would not chance it.
- If it is like other HF tools I have used, when they let lose, I would not want it on my hood. The PC 7424 is 118.00 on Amazon w/ Prime.

( the LC yellow pad suggestion above is not a good idea when just starting out, that is a very aggressive pad )
I have to totally disagree with your comment on the "power" on various D/As. I have used many and the Griots clearly has more nuts that any of the rest of the std buffers. And as far as the Harbor Freight buffer, many people on the various detailing forums have found it be a very good budget unit (discussions on Megs and AutoGeeks sites.

And as far as the yellow pad, yes it is aggressive, but not overly so, if you don't overpressure your buffer. So, if your paint is really trashed, don't be afraid to use the yellow. I pair it with Megs 101 and it really speeds up the correction.

Jim

Quick Reply: How To Detail???