is there such a thing as cracks under the clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there such a thing as cracks under the clearcoat?

I've got one very VERY small spot on my hood (noticed it while I was waxing) and I could swear what it looks like is my blue paint is flaked in three or four "flakes" within this tiny spot, but it appears it is still covered by the clearcoat. The spot does feel a little rough, but when I scratch it, the little flakes don't budge and I swear they look like they are UNDER the clearcoat...

Has anyone seen anythign like this?

Old 09-03-2001, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes. Sometimes because of contamination or bad prep the color coat can crack or in your case flake. Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse then get it fixed under warranty if you still are under one. Just sometimes they make a problem worse by messing with it if you can live with it now.....

Old 09-03-2001, 11:24 PM
Hey there I got a crack about 1/2 inch on my passenger's side door about foot below the mirror under the clear, I was told it is the e-coat from the factory popping under the paint then coming thru the paint and showing thru the clear, gonna get mine fixed real soon at Ford dealer as soon as they schedule me in the body shop this Fall, not in a hurry knowing they are gonna repaint the door. Also my right front fender is doing the same thing so trying to get Ford to spring for that too!

Good Luck, I am outta here

Old 09-04-2001, 07:55 AM
Frank S,

Thanks for the reply. It also feels slightly bumpy to the fingernail, but like I said, what is weird is when I try to scratch the flakes with my fingernails it seems like the clearcoat is protecting it.

I'm right with you re/ living with it because any body work can make matters worse. I'm preoccupied right now with how to keep it from getting worse. If it stays the same, it is so small it doesn't bother me.

I am still under warranty, and will go in the winter for the 30,000k, which would be a good time to have them do something, IF I decided to or if it got progressively worse. My question is how do they actually fix something like that, and wouldn't it be noticeable, considering the hood lies in a fashion that it would be easy to see color/quality mismatches in any new paint?

Quick Reply: is there such a thing as cracks under the clearcoat?