Rust "Dots" on Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rust "Dots" on Body

I have read all the posts about the rust on the inside of the doors and the tailgate, but I am concerned about some very tiny "dots" of rust forming on the lower portion of my truck body and tailgate. I didn't notice them at all until I was down there waxing by hand. They are that tiny. But they are everywhere! Does anyone have some advice on how to a) fix this quick before its a problem b) prevent it from happening again? Thanks!

Old 09-28-2001, 08:24 AM
Post Rail and brake dust?

Could be rail and brake dust that has embedded itself in your paint. You could try using a clay bar to remove it. Most paint care mfgs. have clay bar products. Try doing a search on it, there is a ton of info here on how-to 's and such...

I clay bar my truck once or twice a year before cleaning, polish, and waxing.

Old 09-28-2001, 01:09 PM
Thanks S-76, I was using "rust" for a search queue and kept seeing threads about the door flange. I have never heard of a clay bar, but will have one for tomorrow! Thanks,

Old 09-28-2001, 01:18 PM
I had the same problem this spring with my truck. I know a guy who owns a body shop and he gave me a really fine rubbing compound to use. I wish I could remember the name of the stuff so I could tell you what I used. It worked great; all I had to do was rub it gently over the affected area and then wipe it off. Afterwards I waxed the whole truck. These spots really stood out on white, but I'm sure that they would be noticeable on other colors as well.

I hope I don't have to do it all again next spring.

Old 09-28-2001, 01:22 PM
Thanks, I'll add that to my list of things to look for this weekend. I think what did me in last year was that I parked my truck in the garage a few times in the winter during the big snow dumps. I'll let the truck just freeze this year outside!

Old 09-28-2001, 08:58 PM
Smile No Problem...

Glad I could help.... Let us know how it works...

Old 09-29-2001, 12:16 AM
I know the spots you're refering to but I'm not so sure they are actually rust because they are on the paint but not the sheet metal. I get them about every 6 months on the Prairie Tan portion of my two-tone paint and polish takes them off without any trouble. It's just on the surface.

Old 10-07-2001, 06:34 PM
Cool Actually Ferrous Oxide particles

Ford issued a bulletin to all the dealers on this, #99-12-10. It is still in effect, and now included in all new shop manuals the dealers get.

They will pay for the treatment specified in the TSB for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles under Enviormental damage as stated in the owners manual.

You can see and print it out, shows the why they spec the process, what happens if you use clay or compounds, etc.

Even gives the time allowances for the dealer's warranty repair time.

You can find it at www.autoint.com under the OEM/TSB section of the site, look for the first part of the section.

Quick Reply: Rust "Dots" on Body