2001 F-150 Rough Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F-150 Rough Paint

Since I got my truck about two years ago I have been going through a touchless car wash about on an average twice or so a month. I waxed it when it was about a year old. Today I went through the same car wash and came home to wax with Gold Class. I have read the comments on this wax but after I was done. Anyway the paint seems rough in spots where others are nice and smooth. Most noticable or the worse are the hood and the top. I have not used any polish or cleaners on the truck as I am afraid of screwing up the clear coat. Has the car wash already done this and is this why it feels rough? Also what is a clay bar, what does it exactly do and does it hurt your clear coat? Or are the Ford paint jobs still not the best. I had a 87 & 94 Taurus and the 87 paint was terrible and the 94 a little better but not what I would call good. Of should I stop by the dealers body shop and have them look at it? Ideas? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2001, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you may have some overspray or tree droppings on your paint. Give the truck a good heavy "HAND" washing, and then use a clay bar on it. After that put a coat of some decent wax on it and you'll have a nice smooth protected finish. The clay bars don't really hurt your clearcoat unless there is an overabundance of junk stuck to the paint, or if you don't use enough of the lube spray that comes with it. They pull off contaminants by skimming over the paint and grabbing anything that sits higher than the paint surface. I bar mine once a year, and wax about every month or so(depends on weather) Super slick, and shiny,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 10-06-2001 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool TSB #99-12-10

Still in effect and now in all new Ford vehicles shop manuals.

Addresses not only ferrous oxide (rail dust/brake dust), but acid rain and Industrial Fallout.

The Industrial Fallout (IFO) is what is affecting your paint, making it feel rough.

Read the TSB completely and you will understand what caused it.

You can see and print out the TSB at www.autoint.com under the OEM/TSB section.

Quick Reply: 2001 F-150 Rough Paint