Haze on the inside of the w/shield

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haze on the inside of the w/shield

I have to say I enjoyed reading all the info on removing water spots.
I posted a thread about two months ago and was really disapointed with the replys. But not now, I guess thatis why I love this site.
So does anyone have idea's on how to remove the haze on the inside of the w/shield? I wash both out trucks every weekend, and by mid week I can streak the glass on the inside with my finger. I seems this film returns every week dispite continous cleaning. I have used windex, and an pro glass cleaner areosol from Auto Zone.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-18-2001, 08:44 AM
I have the same problem. I just keep cleaning it, but I haven't found a way to get rid of it for longer than a week.

Old 10-18-2001, 09:31 AM
What do you use to clean the dash? I used to use Armor All on the dash and it caused the inside of the windshield to haze up after a while. I still use it to protect the dash but I don't use it every time I clean the dash.

DF

Old 10-18-2001, 11:04 AM
No amor all the dash is still stock, or would that be virgin?
I only have 3600 miles on the Screw, but I have an 2000 Expy, samething

Old 10-18-2001, 03:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Believe it or not, it's actually all the plastic parts that's inside any newer vehicle (the dash in particular). The plastic kinda "breaths", as such and it's just the residue from this "breathing".

I don't know all the scientific terms and such, but my father is/was (retired) a mechanical engineer, specializing in plastics, injection molding and the like (worked for Hewlett Packard for 24 years). That's what he told me it is. It will occur less over time, but my old '86 5.0 GT was still doing it after 14 years!!

All you can do is keep cleaning it off.

Old 10-18-2001, 09:46 PM
Cool Ok, you asked!

The haze, the film, is produced when heat is provided to the vinyl of the dash, other interior parts and creates "off-gassing" of the "plastizers" that are a major component of the material.

I am done.

Ketch

Old 10-20-2001, 02:59 AM
Well that makes sense! I always thought it was a "smoker's haze", but having quit smoking 17 years ago, I still get that haze!

Always wondered how that stuff built up so fast.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2001, 07:43 AM
Lightbulb

Just a suggestion, Try using towels that do not have fabric softener on them. Also do not use household window cleaner.

Old 10-20-2001, 09:26 AM
Cool Another contribtor is!

Applying dimethal silicone dressings, the greasy stuff , will make it worse as well. This is the crap that untrained detailers, the greasy tire dressing that dealers put on tires, etc.

Don't use it on anything. (see tech article on subject at www.autoint.com there are two of them, one is unde the Ford Tech Tips section in the OEM/TSB area and the full article is under the Magazine Articles Section on the site)

If you use a dressing on the dash, use one that is milky looking, a waterborne dressing.

Wipe it on, let it set just a few seconds and rewipe with a dry towel. This will reduce the high glosse, but will leave a small barrier.

However, even the PDMS resin in the product will slowly evaporate and end up attached to the windshield.

Better it than the plasizers out of the vinyl though.

Ketch

Old 10-20-2001, 12:02 PM
Maybe it's your aftershave?

Old 10-20-2001, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by logical
Maybe it's your aftershave?
...or flatulence.

Seriously, the previous posters who talked about Out or Off Gassing of plasticizers in the synthetics are right on the money.

I use plain water. A damp towel (softener free) or chamois (real or synthetic) work fine.

Old 10-20-2001, 07:57 PM
I have the same problem! I use quik detailer on it (just like I do the outside windows) and find that keeps it away fro a while. I'm always amazed if I don't clean that window for several weeks or more, just how much crap gets on there and distorts your vision!
I also use the quik detailer on my dash and console, its great stuff! The only thing is you gotta go over it two-three times to get all the smudges off, but then its pretty good stuff .

Old 10-21-2001, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know some old-schoolers that swear by vinegar (undiluted straight from the bottle) with newspaper. Smells awful, but it works on dirt, oil & grease, and most of all smoke film.

Old 10-23-2001, 11:39 PM
I keep a box of PS21 window cleaners handy in the driver's door pocket. Find them at any good onliner that specializes in care care stuff. Consider them moist towelettes for your windows. Work like a champ, and no mess. Great for when you're on the road, and access to water and terry towels just isn't convenient.
http://www.autofanatics.com/cleanprod.html

Quick Reply: Haze on the inside of the w/shield