Black Magic=damaged plastic

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Magic=damaged plastic

Word of warning: I used Black Magic cleaner on the inside of the door (by the power windows, etc) and now, a few days later, I notice it left a weird "haze" to it.

Could someone recommend what I should use on this interior plastic (on the dash, doors, etc)? Just a damp cloth? Ford cleaner?

I have had this thing 6 days so I should not have been using anything on it but I got carried away I guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...y.cfm?gnum=453

Old 10-22-2001, 11:19 PM
Here's what I'd do.

Clean all your plastic and vinyl using a rag dampened with very dilute baby shampoo in warm water (a couple of drops to a gallon). If you can put it in your eyes, your dash can probably take it. Then, go to pep boys and buy a bottle of Vinylex. I bought a bottle of it out of curiousity after reading good things here about their leather cleaner (Lexol). I've used a lot of stuff and so far this has been the best for vinyl and leather. It's not greasy and doesn't seem attract dust as bad some other things I've used. I'm sure your truck will be fine. Let me know if this helps you out.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2001, 08:10 AM
Black Magic is a horrible product

I used it on my tires because it made them so shiny but after a few weeks it collected so much dust that my tires turned brown. It took hours to get all of it off.

For cleaning, a damp cloth with just a bit of dish soap breaks up dirt very well. After that just use a vinyl protectant like Armor All to keep panels moist.

Old 10-26-2001, 11:28 AM
I think I have a good idea of what your talking about. My glovebox is also real hazy. The rest of my dash and panaling is fine but the glove box just looks like it's all dried out or something. Is that what yours looks like? I took Armor All and Son of a Gun and a bunch of other protectant to it and put on like half a dozen coats. for about 15 min's it looks good but then it starts looking dried out again. If you find anything that works let me know. Good Luck

Old 10-26-2001, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Baby shampoo?

Sounds good enough to try my next time out.

Old 10-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Black Magic is great on TIRES. Lasts for weeks even in the rain. I havent had any problem with dust but I havent gone off road with the stuff, kind of defeats the purpose of making the tires shiny.

Sorry about the doors but its not recommended for that use

Old 11-02-2001, 01:29 PM
Are you guys using the silicone or water based version? I've had no problems with the water-based stuff - black (not clear) bottle.

Quick Reply: Black Magic=damaged plastic