To those who have/had a leaky rear window

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To those who have/had a leaky rear window

Some of you have fixed the problem of a leaky slider window with silicone caulk. Mine leaks like the others...from the top of the window on both sides. There is a spongy-type of seal that goes around the black plastic window frame. The actual seal around the glass seems unaccessible. Can someone elaborate on this fix for me. I have a 97 that just started leaking.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2001, 12:03 PM
i also have a 97. i caught the leak before my warranty expired and ford replaced the glass and gasket. i guess you could have them put in a new gasket. just depends how much $ you want to spend.

Old 11-09-2001, 12:07 PM
I'd like to try whatever I can before I cough up the $500+ for the replacement.

Old 11-09-2001, 04:12 PM
go to a local body shop and check how much it is to reseal. they have to be cheaper than a dealer. do you have a glass doctor company around your area. if so they will come to you to fix it.

Old 11-09-2001, 04:39 PM
If you want to tackle this yourself, it's not that easy. You need to remove the molding around the window inside the truck. If you have an SC, you also need to remove the rear seat back. I've never done it, but both of my trucks ('97 & '99) had the leak. It took the dealer three tries to fix the '97 and one try to fix the '99.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:58 PM
I got mine fixed for $130.00

I also had a leaky rear window. After finally getting discusted with the damp smell after a good rain I called a used glass place. They quoted me a used one-piece privacy glass for $180.00.
I drove it down there and while waiting I asked how much $ they'd knock off if I removed the leaky slider. The guy told me he'd knowck off $50 bucks. It turns out the glass he installed was off a 2001 practically brand new. SO there try what I did, if you can be without the slider. BTW, I asked for slider but the guy told me he couldn't garantee it not leaking.

Removing the interior panels and seat is a snap!

Old 12-13-2001, 11:44 PM
I got mine fixed for free by the dealer when I bought my used 98 F-150 that was out of warrenty! Guess the service manager (a lady ) thought I was a hotty !!!

Old 12-14-2001, 12:35 PM
I put a set of gun racks in my rear slider and i think where it stretched the rubber seal it caused the leak to stop but its all good now
JJ

Old 12-18-2001, 11:32 PM
Angry I have wind noise now

I bought my truck ('99 flareside) with 7500 miles on it. I found out the rear window leaked the first time it rained. The Ford place put a new window in, but now instead of leaking I have wind noise. The Ford place scrathed my lid so I did not want them screwing with it anymore and I am out of warranty know. Does the calking around the window fix wind noise? Do I calk the inside, outside, or both?

Old 12-20-2001, 01:02 PM
I too had a leaky slider in my 97 Supercab. Started at about the 115,000 mile mark. I fixed it last week. I have tried to take the window out by removing the bolts, but it was stuck on the body too much to risk breaking. wound up using a syringe from a turkey marinade kit to find out exactly where the leak was. It was keeping my headliner wet, and the leaking onto the back seat on the passenger side. After 5 minutes of testing, I found the damaged part of the seal to be above the middle window (slider)part of the rear window. I took off the third brake light cover, and it provided very easy access to seal each corner of the gasket with silicon caulk (clear). At the edge of the slider, this is where my leak was starting, and then was running around the frame until it came to an easy place to run down into the truck. After 4 weeks, and some very heavy rains here in TN, No Leaks! $3.00 fix, ten minutes time.

Jim

Old 12-20-2001, 04:56 PM
I had a leak exactly like that on the edge of the slider right under the thrid brake light toward the passenger side. Took out the light and used a flowable clear silicone down on the edge of the glass. It's self-leveling and it filled in a pretty big gap in the rubber seal between the glass and the vehicle. I put the third brake light back and then ran a bead of regular clear silicone around the brake light and window frame. Fixed it perfectly. If I need to change a bulb the silicone will come off both the light and frame very easily. I bought the flowable silicone at Trak Auto in a small tube for about $2.50.

Quick Reply: To those who have/had a leaky rear window