Cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cluster lights

Does anyone know how to change out the light bulbs behind the speedometer? I have one light out behind the 100 on the speedo..between that and the tach..I hope I dont have to pull part of the dash apart for this.

Black Dawg

Old 11-29-2001, 12:50 AM
Well I have done this job plenty of times. Yes you have to take the dash apart, but it's real simple and fast. First you go to the headlight switch and turn the switch all the way so the headlights come on. Then pull the switch out, on the bottom of that switch is gonna be a little hole. Get a small screw driver and pry the switch off, turn the switch 180 and put it back on. next shut off your lights by turning the switch back. Now you gotta hold it tight, your gonna turn the switch back on but while doing so pull out. That should of pulled out the housing for the light switch and dimmer. (taking a breahter) Now there is a screw there undo that one. Now the plate that goes around the steering column has to come off. You can just pry that off but easy. There will be a few screws behind it, undo all the ones that connect the dash to the truck. Now you have to undo all the screws that hold the piece above the speedometer out.now all you have to do is pull that part of the dash out but carefully it has some clips to hold it down. Once you have that piece of the dash out then go ahead and undo the speedometer by unscrewing the black screws along the edge of the speedometer. Now i have big hands so i had to take the other piece off which goes around the stereo and ac. To do that you have to pry the face panel that has the ac vents. I did it by pushing one side of the vent in all the way and pulling on the edge. Now that you have that face out. there are a few more screws undo thoseand place the face plate back in so it doesn't get in the way. Now pull out on that part of the dash and it will come off a few more clips. Now that everything is out of the way you can reach over the speedometer and pull the plugs out. There should be three, one behind each section of the cluster. Now it depends what year model you have, I have a 97 so I had to push down on the little part where the
P R N D 2 3 and it pops right off. You pull the cluster out Change your bulbs and do everything backwards. It gets easier everytime you do it. Thats what i had to do to put my white face gauge in.

Old 12-04-2001, 11:55 AM
wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa

i dont get it, but now im going to print that out and try it just to see if i can

Old 12-08-2001, 12:09 PM
I think with all those instructions my dash got scared of being taken apart. The light works now. I cant figure that one out. Thanx for the info though.
Black Dawg

Quick Reply: Cluster lights