Buffer

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buffer

I'm thinking about getting a buffer.

Probably this one http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...bf4+1006425880

Well, I was just wonder what tips people have? What kind of pad should I get for it? etc.

Also, it saies it can be used as a sander/polisher. Has anyone tried it before?

Old 12-03-2001, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the same tool from Coastal. I'm extremely disappointed. Shoulda gone to Sears for a cheaper product. The PorterCable is a fine product, to be sure. But it gets mighty heavy after working it for more than 15 minutes or so. You also gotta crank it to full RPM, otherwise it bogs down to almost a standstill, even if you're barely touching it to the surface of your finish. You can do it faster with a terry rag. I used it to do half my truck; did the other half by hand and had my neighbor try to decide which side was "machined". He couldn't tell. 'Nuff said.

Old 12-04-2001, 02:28 PM
disappointed too

I bought a buffer from Wal Mart (NOT the Porter-Cable) last year and was very disappointed with it. I to thought that I was wasting time only to have to go back and get many places by hand later. I returned it and concluded that the main problem was the user (my lack of experience) not the buffer. I now just do it by hand. Maybe one day I will try again and practice more before giving up. -- Martin

Old 12-04-2001, 04:02 PM
Thumbs up Sears Orbital

I purchased a buffer from Sears about 10 years ago. It was a kit which contained the 9" Orbital polisher/buffer, a can of simoniz , container of car wash, liquid mirror glaze, two terry bonnets all in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. The whole deal was about $50.00.

I think they still have basically the same deal except the polisher is now a 10" (which actually makes it tougher to use). As for the polish they give you...throw it out! The mirror glaze is fine as is the wash.

It may not be the type of setup you'll find at an auto show but then again....it's only $50.00 and it works perfectly fine. The one bad thing about is the darn cord is a nuisance. Hmmm, wonder if someone makes a cordless model?

Good luck.

Natty

Old 12-04-2001, 05:10 PM
I too have the Sears buffer (10"). It works great and I had no previous experience with one. I use it to apply liquid type wax only and don't have any problems with it bogging down. (I remove the wax by hand) Maybe the others are bogging down because too much pressure is being used. Yea, the cord is a bit of an inconvenience but I just toss it over my shoulder and all is well.

Old 12-04-2001, 08:22 PM
the one at sears does it leave any swirls? ive never used one but am considering it.

Old 12-04-2001, 09:56 PM
Crazedf1 - swirls

I am NOT a professional detailer but, I think a few things determine if you get swirls.

1. How much pressure you apply.
2. Type of wax/polish used.
3. Type of applicator (or bonett in this case).
4. Type of removal cloth or bonett.

If you use only high quality polish or wax, use the softest, ALL cotton terry bonetts or lambswool and ALL cotton terry towels to remove the wax (I've started using the micro fiber towels also..they are very nice), don't apply too much pressure or leave it in one spot too long......you should be OK. I've been using my old Sears orbital for a long time and haven't had any real swirl problems.

One thing I do that I personally think helps. When using the buffer to apply paste wax (I use Mequires yellow) I also put a few swirls of their pure polish (i.e. no abrasives) or give a squirt or two of the quick detailing spray on the bonett with the paste wax. I find this lubricates the bonett and helps it glide VERY smoothly over the cars finish. I was shown this method by a guy who was the "personal mechanic" for a millionaire who had a stash of Ferrari's, Lotus' and even a Bently. This is the way he polished all those cars (though not with a Sears brand buffer...LOL).

Hope this helps.

Natty

Old 12-04-2001, 10:01 PM
I have found the Craftsman random orbital buffers to be easy to use, I have 2 of them. 1 for applying (works at a slower speed) and 1 for removal (works at a higher speed) of product. Great for regular maintenance. As long as you let the buffer do the work and let it float across the surface slowly, it will produce the results you are looking for. Preferably, use a foam bonnet to apply and a terry cloth bonnet to remove. (Change the terry cloth bonnets frequently).

As for the cord, I bought a 30' retractable cord unit at Home Depot, mounted it on the ceiling in the garage and life is a whole lot easier.

Old 12-05-2001, 11:07 PM
So, guess the porter cable buffer sucks.

What buffer has a good amount of power? One that I can use on a lower RPM setting but not have it bog down.

Old 12-06-2001, 08:12 AM
Porter cable

I know a guy who has the Porter Cable and loves it. He has an Impala SS that still looks new after 5 years so I think the PC unit is fine. The Sears is much , much less $$ and as far as specs go, probably can't hold a candle to the PC. All I can say is the Sears has worked fine for me for a loooooong time.

If you use the Sears, don't press too hard and keep it moving it'll never bog down.

GL.

Natty

Old 12-06-2001, 07:54 PM
Old 12-06-2001, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I have used a few buffers before, and used to be a detailer. That was what I did before painting. I have used that Makita before, and that hoop handle drove me nuts The Miwaulkee is a nice one, but looks heavy. If you're going for a rotary buffer and have never used one, use foam pads until you get used to it. Wool pads will burn your paint in a second if you don't watch it
My favorite rotary buffer ever was one Sears sold, it was made by Black and Decker and even Snap On sold it under there name as well(I think it was the same one, don't flame me too bad if it wasn't) I wish I could remember the model number. Been looking for it ever since One tip for the cord is to string it through your belt loop, that's what I used to do. Then over your shoulder. Sorry I could not be of more help to you.,,,,98

Old 12-06-2001, 09:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I found it!!! This is the buffer I used to use that had a Craftsman label on it. It has a variable speed trigger, which means the further you pull the trigger the faster it goes. You can set the max speed it stops at with the thumb dial, which is under your thumb, duh! lol. It would be my first choice rotary buffer wise. I loved the one I used to use, but it belonged to the shop where I worked. I'm getting one whenever I can spring for it,,,,98

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=174

Old 12-13-2001, 10:32 PM
Thumbs down Sears buffer

There is a difference between a real machine buffer and the Sears orbital thing. The orbital is easy to use and fast as far as waxing a vehicle, but unless you are in a hurry, you will get better results waxing by hand (using a quality wax of course).

A real machine buffer spins at potentially high speeds and does not hop around like an orbital. I recommend Makita. I've also used the SnapOn version of the Craftsman mentioned above - also nice, but heavier.

Use a foam pad (unless your paint is really oxidized - then use wool). Also use a buffing compound. After the vehicle is buffed, wash and follow with a good coat of wax.

I would recommend practicing on something like your buddies car before you do your own

Quick Reply: Buffer