waiting period before polishing paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question waiting period before polishing paint

I just had my entire truck repainted. I want to start applying Zaino Bros polish products as soon as possible. How long am I supposed to wait before doing anything to a new paint job? thanks.

Old 12-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told to wait 90 days when I got my old T/A painted a few years ago. You might consider going back and having it wetsanded first.

Old 12-21-2001, 01:27 PM
I had exactly the same problem a few months back. The guys at the body shop said 60 to cover their butt. They have to because people use all kind of strange products that are called "wax".

If you are using Zaino, which is the only thing I use, wait one week. I talked to Sal Zaino himself.

In fact here are Sal's words from his email:

There's alot of misinformation about waiting three months for the paint to cure. I am a custom painter by trade. I am very familar with Dupont, PPG and all the other paint manufacturers.

The most I personally would wait on fresh "aftermarket body shop" paint before polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish is 1 week. That's more than sufficient curing time.

Zaino contains no wax, harmful silicones or abrasives.....

The new paints are catalyzed. A chemical reaction cures the paint. The older lacquers and enamels needed time for the solvents to release. This is not the case anymore. Believe me if that paint need 3 months to dry than it will never dry.... Just the facts.

Shine it up!

The pictures in my sig are after paint and polishing later that week.

Hunt4Fun

Old 12-21-2001, 01:52 PM
i talked to sal this morning about what products i needed (this will be my first time using Zaino). I forgot to ask about any kind of wait time. I will trust you on this one - I would think because of the nature of the product you could use it almost right away. By the time I get around to doing this next weekend it will be 10 days since it was painted. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-21-2001, 02:03 PM
In order to cover all types/manufacturers of paints, wait 90 days, especially in this time of year. My cousin has been painting cars for 15 years and says that most paints still "breathe" and/or harden up to 3 months later. Waxing/polishing will not allow this to occur thus not permitting the paint to harden fully.

Old 12-22-2001, 01:09 AM
When I got parts of my truck repainted by the dealer (acid rain and rail dust damage), they said they used the same paint the factory used. They said to wait 30 days to wax the paint because they can't bake the paint at the same high temps the factory does.

30 days seems reasonable.

Old 12-22-2001, 08:14 AM
Talking

"Seems" doesn't get it in the real world Dennis.

Old 12-22-2001, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Frank S
"Seems" doesn't get it in the real world Dennis.
Who said anything about he "real world?"

Old 12-29-2001, 10:48 PM
I was just getting quotes for having my new valence painted and most of the body shops said six weeks. I don't know how I am going to wait that long.....LOL

Quick Reply: waiting period before polishing paint