Got a buffer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a buffer

Ok I bought myself a buffer. Now I really got the buffer to help me polish out paint on the computer cases that I do. See, I paint computer cases and do other various things to them :P

Well, Here is the buffer I got, It's a Makita Variable speed buffer. 600rpms to 3000 RPMs.

Well, can anyone give me any tips for using this on my truck? I'd like to be able to use it to take out some scratches on the truck but I feel the Rubbing compound I use on paint is to harsh to use on my trucks finish.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffing is like sanding a car for paint....start with a 8oo grit and then move up towards the 2000 grit....waxing is the same way.....you have to start with a certain polishing pad, then move to finishing pad and finally wax it by hand. Most people that buff cars only use one pad (usually a wool pad ) and wonder why they have swirls. The first pad is to take out scratches, the second is to take out the swirls, and the last step is to actually apply wax.
Damon

Old 12-29-2001, 12:36 PM
Intel,

What a monster!! And I thought my cube server case was big. Got fans??

Old 12-29-2001, 06:11 PM
thanks im.damon.fl, What type of compound should I use on the buffer to take out the scratches?

LeanNCut, The case isn't that big. Here is a pic of it on my desk. For size comparison, that's a 21" Monitor on the left.

Old 12-29-2001, 10:42 PM
I use only Meguiars Mirror Glaze Series.......it's more expensive than the normal Meguiars products but it is way better. This series is numbered for you .....depending on the scratches, start with the medium cut cleaner (or fine cut cleaner). Then go to the new car glaze polish with you polishing pad. Now the paint is ready to be waxed ......I then use the Hi-Tech yellow wax.

The only other wax products I've found that work are from http://www.prowax.com . This company would deliver to my shop pretty quick. This site also tells you what pads you need for what and which products do what. If anything read around this site for a minute or two. You can order good pads cheap through this site also. Hope this helps you.
Damon

Old 12-31-2001, 10:20 AM
Before you try that Medium Cut polish from Meguiar's (and have a heart attack when you see the paint) why don't you try the Fine Cut Cleaner (#2) first. The idea is to use the mildest abrasive that will do the job, if it doesn't work then you go to the next level of abrasiveness.

BTW. THE NUMBERS ON THE BOTTLES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LEVEL OF ABRASIVENESS. I think they go like this:

#1 Medium Cut
#2 Fine Cut
#3 Machine Glaze
#4 Heavy Cut
#9 Swirl Remover

Last edited by Indyfan; 01-02-2002 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:06 PM
Thumbs up

Here is a great forum I found on car detailing. It has all kinds of answers for using buffers. Hope it helps.

Detailers Forum

Old 01-03-2002, 10:08 AM
SJ1
Before you hit your truck's finish with a buffer I highly recommend that you go to this site www.autopia-carcare.com.

This site is filled with detailing tricks and tips. The folks on this forum own all types of cars and trucks, both domestic and otherwise. I would say use the MILDEST polish you can. Try 3M Swirl Remover for Dark Colored cars (part number 3M39009).

I have a Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital Buffer. I NEVER use a rubbing compound by machine. It is MUCH too harsh on the paint. I would even stay away from Meguiar's fine cut. I find that in 90% of my detailing jobs, start mild, then go more aggressive.

The 3M can be found at Pep Boys etc. Try it out. I think you will be pleased with the results, and it will be much, much, milder on your clearcoat.

Again, visit autopia-carcare.com. These folks have a WEALTH of detailing knowledge.

SJ1

Old 01-03-2002, 04:19 PM
SJ1, yhea I just read all the stuff on that site a few days ago. Lots of good information.

I have all the 3M stuff because I work with automotive paint and use the Rubbing compound on the paint. I was going to try to use the Swirl Mark Remover.

I'll tell everyone how it comes out. It's just got to get warmer out before I can do it. Maybe this weekend.

Also, Does anyone know a store that sells Klasse? Pepboys doesn't.

Quick Reply: Got a buffer