Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Shine

I have a question regaurding new tires. Recently, I've noticed my tires have a grey tint to them. That's problably because I have'nt been keeping them shiny and applying tire shine to them regularly. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type or brand of tire shine to use? Besides Wet Tire spray. It does'nt seem to work to well for me. But any other suggestions I will give a try. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2001, 01:14 PM
Don't everybody try to speak at once now. Ya hear?

Old 12-29-2001, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the Meguiars Endurance gel and it works pretty good. It is not too shiny and it last at least a couple of weeks.

http://www.meguiars.com/endurance/endurance_home.cfm

Old 12-29-2001, 03:42 PM
Cool Tires, leather, vinyl, etc-Ford says

You can read what Ford has to say about dressings etc, this information is not printed in your owners manual, but is on the Ford Dealers only Dealer Connection website.

However, you may find all the Ford Tech Tips regarding this and other subjects that may be of interest to you on www.autoint.com

These are the same ones that are on the Ford site.

Automotive International is a supplier and consultant to Ford, aids them in many cosmetic, paint, trim etc issues, therefore are allowed to post the tech info on the site.

Go to the OEM/TSB Section of the site, the Ford information is the first of the manufacturers area.

Ketch

Old 12-29-2001, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the help BlueFlareside and Ketch2. You both were very helpful to me. Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2001, 09:45 PM
The reason that your tires are turning grayish may be because they have not been thoroughly cleaned. Get some Wesleys bleach white and spray that on there when washing your truck. It disolves road grit and brake dust. When the tires are clean, you can use any dressing and they will get shiny black. My brother works at a detail shop and gets me this stuff called Super Seal. It works great and smells great too! It lasts a long time through rain and everything. I don't know where you can buy it, but if you see it grab some and give it a try. Other than that I use regular old Armor All.

Old 12-30-2001, 07:50 AM
I would try Stoner More Shine Less Time. It comes in a spray can and works great. I have a Nissan 300zx that I show and it seems I have tried every product out there. McGuiars Endurance Gel is ok but I found that it has a tendancy to come off onto the car body when driving. The reason your tires may be turning brown or gray is from the silicone in products such as Armor All etc. I would stay away from them if possible.

Old 12-30-2001, 11:49 AM
Cool AmorAll no longer a problem

Several years ago, AmorAll changed to the safe formula, they now use the standard polydimethalsiloxane resin in a water carrier.

It does not cause the concerns that their old formula did, which was a dimethal silicone fluid, with some mineral spirits and water emulsion.

The Stoner's product, on the other hand is one that will attack the micro wax in the side walls of the tire as mentioned in the Ford Tech Tips in the OEM/TSB Section at www.autoint.com

Ketch

Old 12-31-2001, 12:45 AM
i use eagle one tire wet...........great stuff works like a charm

Old 12-31-2001, 08:59 AM
A very old and dear friend of the family swears by this...

waterless handcleaner.

huh?

Really. Make sure its the gel kind with no pumice. It shines the tire safely without the "armorall" effect. And the best part is that it rinses off clean and takes dirt with it on the first rain (after which you need to rewash anyway)

Old 12-31-2001, 09:16 AM
Ketch, I've read the Ford info and the Autoint people dont seem to really make the arguement that their product really protects tires.

Your thoughts?

Old 12-31-2001, 11:19 AM
Cool Protect?

Let's throw all the marketing hype out the window where it belongs!

The term is "tire dressings", right, that means they are temporary, they have very short term protective values, if any.

They are not a "coating", IE, do not have the ability to stay on the surface and create a protective barrier.

Any polydimethalsiloxane (PDMS) water based dressing will provide some shine or gloss, this in turn reflects some UV rays and reduces the damaging effect of them, but only short term.

These types do not remove the components of the tire that protect the sidewall.

Using the solvent dimethal oil dressings attacks and removes the real protective value additives the tire manufacturers compound into the tire.

The real protection of your tire's components, like the sidewall, is the Microwax, the anti-cracking/UV protectant wax that is part of the tire.

There is a more complete tech article on the site under the Magazine Articles Section. This is where Ford got the information for their tech tips, as well as from the tire manufacturers.

So, isn't mass marketing, consumer advertising wonderful, creates a need in the consumer's mind, and allows the selling of products that are actually damaging. Kind of like some of those "info-merrcials" we all see on late night TV?

Ketch

Old 01-07-2002, 01:45 PM
yeah, what ketch said.

Old 01-07-2002, 02:36 PM
I have used Turtle Wax Tire Dressing here for almost 2 years and love it too! Just my $0.02 but goes on easy and with very little effort you can wipe away the excess and drive away with a very nice shine as well! ShowYa

Old 01-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

I just got ripped on my latest tire dressing purchase It's the Turtle Wax Wet/Black tire dressing. It's not bad usually, but they have this new "Value Size" in a larger bottle that they have been selling at Autozone. I wholeheartedly believe all they did was thin it out some more, and put it in a larger bottle. I noticed something was wrong the second I sprayed it on. It seemed too thin. The clincher was that when I wiped off the excess, the dressing almost completely evaporated. There were spots on the tire that had turned back to grey again. I read the back, and it said to apply it twice for the best shine. You have too, to make it shine at all! LOL! That is the only tire dressing that has ever said that in the instructions. I will go buy another brand, and while I'm there I'll check to see if the normal sized bottle says to apply it twice I'm betting it doesn't, what's your guess??",,,98

Sorry to write such a long rant about a tire dressing, but $5 is $5. I feel like I got ripped off.

Quick Reply: Tire Shine