What's best for rubbing out clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What's best for rubbing out clearcoat?

Ok guys, I know somebody out there has rubbed out there dark colored trucks. Mine has small scratches, more like scuffs in the clear coat from tree branches and such.

First question, what is the best product for removing these "scuffs"?

Second question, I have an orbital buffer and I was wondering if that is heavy duty enough to get the job done?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank,
Bob

Old 01-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try a polish out?

Get something to strip the wax off you already have on the truck and then use a polish like 3M's swirl mark remover. Use a finishing pad on your buffer.

Old 01-04-2002, 10:44 AM
dish washing liquid will remove the wax that is on there. just use it like a car wash liquid and put it in a bucket and wash away. just remember to reaply the wax when your done fixing the scratches

Old 01-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Try the orbital buffer with a cleaner type wax, then a coat of good carnuba or some type of protection wax. If that doesn't work, try a clay bar. Always start easy and work your way up until to find something that will work.
When I lived in Maine, I had those annoying tree scratches as well. I never went anything above a clay bar.

Old 01-04-2002, 11:54 PM
Exclamation

If you have never used or had any experience with any type of buffer, get some professional help! The paint on your truck is not the place to learn. Find a good detail shop in your area if you want to go that route. I've had good luck with "Safe Cut" manufactured by a company by the name of the Wax Shop. It's a mild polish designed for clearcoats. It will remove fine scratches in the paint. I use a damp cloth (baby diaper) (no buffers). Pep Boys sells this product. Otherwise, do a search "Wax Shop" on the internet. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Do you really know what a clearcoat is?

I have to suggest that before doing anything regarding buffing/cutting/polishing a modern high solid clear that you visit www.autoint.com and check out a couple of areas on the site for some actual technical information regarding this subject.

These are not the junk from enthusist's magazines, but from vehicle manufacturers, technical magazines that serve the industry.

Look under three sections, Tech Tips, which is full of all sorts of pictures with explaining text, many provided by the paint suppliers to Ford and others.

Second is the OEM/TSB Section and it has the Ford Tech Tips that are usually only available to Ford Dealers on a secure website.

Third is Magazine Articles Section, there is a two part article regarding Swirls, but is actually a primer on these new clears and how to care for them, what effects them etc.

Hope this aids you in your quest.

Ketch

Quick Reply: What's best for rubbing out clearcoat?