Adding Sound Deadening To Doors...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding Sound Deadening To Doors...

You know a lot of luxury cars have excellent sound deadening thoughout the car. In the hood, doors, roof, floor and trunk areas. But not in our F150 pickup doors!!!!!!

My first thought was CHEAP!!!!!!

I had the doors opened because I was installing new color-matched mirrors and door handles. Can you believe that the outer door skin is just primered with no sound deadening material stuck to it?!! Bare as a new baby's butt. I suppose it does lots for the door speakers but it sure doesn't do much for making it quite inside the truck.

I am looking for a way to apply some sound-proofing to the doors of my truck. I would like it to sound like an expensive import when you shut the doors. Not tinney and cheap.

Does anyone have any really good clues as to what to use and where to buy it? Or, how to create it?!!

Thanks in advance,

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 01-08-2002, 06:47 AM
Bill, I did this to my truck. Except I put two layers through out the whole truck. I used http://www.b-quiet.com/bq2.html. Try this place. They are probably one of the cheapest places around.
I understand what you are saying about the sound the door makes. Now the sound is solid and I also have very little road noise. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:58 AM
I was going to suggest dynamat, but Dageon has a better answer. I'm gonna order from them myself! Thanks D

Old 01-08-2002, 07:45 PM
No problem twistedfinn. I ordered the original. It took about 120-130 sqft. to cover my truck twice. Well worth it. Good luck.
Dageon

Old 01-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does this stuff absorb water? Because when it rains and when ya wash your truck water gets into the door and rains out the bottom.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:50 AM
Intel, most sound deadening is made up of a tar/residue substance and will not absorb water. When you install it, your
only going to cover the inside of the door this part doesn't really ever get wet. Dageon

Old 01-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Bill:

CornerCarver posted about 2 or 3 days ago on the Lightning board on something 'cheap and good' that he found. It is a dampening material sold by McMaster-Carr called Hi-Temp Mastic. It is an asphalt-based like dynamat. It's p/n is 9709T18 and is $12.79/sheet(32"x54"). He used 5 sheets--$90, including shipping.

Dan

Old 01-10-2002, 01:20 PM
Do not use that B-quiet stuff in trucks that drive below the Canada border. Any temps above 70 deg and the b-quiet material will melt, ooze down and clump in the bottom of the doos/panels/whatever. It can be used under the carpet on the floor. For inside the doors Dynamat extreme or the generic equivalent will hold up. Inside door panels can be covered with regular dynamat. Don't even try the roof with stick on stuff, spray on foam is much better there and also in the nooks of the doors.
Fritz

Old 01-10-2002, 05:32 PM
where do i get spray on foam? does it work as good as dynamat?

Old 01-12-2002, 01:19 AM
Try going to ebay they have a guy there that sells raamat its supposed to be the same as dynamat extreem but cheaper its like 69 bucks for 50 sq feet. plus shipping. I think thats not too unreasonable a price. thats what i plan on getting someday Until then i will solve my noise problems with the trusty ole volume controll **** there are many ways to deaden most use a mix of all of them like expanding foam old t-shirts,mat you name it.

Good Luck
Syeth

Old 01-12-2002, 07:37 AM
fritz, I'm not sure that the b-quiet will melt. I just checked my buddies truck for reference. He has had b-Q in for ever. There is no sign of melting, oozing, or clumping up. So i'm not sure how true that is, we also live in the south. You know how hot it can get down here, and no side effects. Although, I do agree with you about the spray-on. It's just really more trouble, unless your doing a car for compition. Just my $.02. Dageon

Old 01-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Thumbs down

Nope, definitly sure the B-Quiet will melt here in New Orleans. I still haven't gotten all the gooey mess out of the bottom of my doors. It will work ok if it is applied to the in-cap part of the doors, the floor and the the back wall but any surface that the sun can hit is now covered with slimy residue slide marks. There have been a few other bad experiences with it melting on this board.
Just from the feel and looks the Dynamat is a much higher quality product. Expensive yes but worth it compared to the PITA the B-quiet turned out to be.
Fritz

Old 01-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Ditto Fritz. I was considering B-Quiet too. Doing a search, I found a thread by some fellow in the deep south who'd applied it to the rear wall of his cab. He left work one hot afternoon and found his B-Quiet had melted and slid below the plastic panel on his rear wall in one, huge, gooey mess. Not believing this, I actually called the B-Quiet rep, who verified that the product is NOT intended for vertical applications where temperatures are normally warm, or applications inside roof panels.
I went with a dynamat generic (Owens-Corning Weatherguard roofing product). What's more, I used this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=7107&DID=7
to spray inside my door panels. I have a VERY quiet cab.

Old 01-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Dynamat works great. I've found it at - www.millionbuy.com - for half the cost what a local stereo shop wants for it.

Old 01-26-2002, 04:13 AM
Thanks Guys .... You're a big help!!!

You guys are great to come forward with unheard-of products, how-to-tips and great advice. But, no one has really said much about how the various products have worked to reduce the sound level inside the cab. I hear road noise and I would really like to eliminate at least 70% of it.

What I would like to try is foam-spray.

Has anyone had any good success with an expandable foam spray? I know you can buy it for home insulation. But what about using it inside your car or truck door? I can see how it might expand too much and become a problem with the functions of the window roll-up track, door locks and window cranking mechanism. Does anyone have any really good "Watch Out For this ... or, Don't Do That?"

I'm milking this thread for all it's worth. Thanks guys!!

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Quick Reply: Adding Sound Deadening To Doors...