What do you use to wash your rig with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 07:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question What do you use to wash your rig with?

More specifically, what do you use to "scrub" the dirt off with? I've used them all............ Rags, towels, washing mits and soft brushes...... Everyone of them leaves scratches over time.

I'm actually back to using one of those "RV" brushes. I did read "somewhere" that it was the best thing to use. The theory is because any "grit" will just be absorbed into the bristles, instead of riding on the surface and acting like sandpaper when you are rubbing down a panel.

Of course, I use a quality "Car Wash" type of soap and a five gallon bucket. Depending on how dirty the truck is, I'll usually change the water after doing one side of the truck. It's some pretty nasty water, even after doing only half. Notice how much "sand" is left in the bucket when you dump it?

Anyway, just seeing what other's use. Don't recall a thread like this being covered before.....

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2002, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I use a real sheepskin mitt that I found at Wal-Mart 6 months ago. It's been doing a fine job so far. It's VERY soft when wet, and shrinks when it dries. A top notch product IMO. I also have a pressure washer, which I use to blast the dirt off before I start. It does an excellent job cleaning the engine too. If you doubt my obsession with the cleanliness of my truck. I spent five or six hours today washing, machine buffing and waxing it. I have not started the interior yet, LOL! The neighbors think I'm nuts for sure. As for the soap, I use the cheapest one at the store, I've never seen one work better than another. They are all the same in my opinion.,,,,98

Old 01-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also use two soft tip brushs to wash my truck. I always let the brush lay on the surface to be cleaned that is resist the urge to bear down and press the brush to the finish.
Two 5 gallons buckets , one with the car soap & the other clean water. The brush goes from soap to truck to clean bucket then back to first brush in soap. One brush is fine but I got a second so I cycle them a bit.
You will notice the dirt/sand going into the rinse/clean water bucket when you dump it.

Old 01-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Lost Pup. That two bucket idea is a great one. Seems obvious now, just never thought about it. Yeah, the brush I use is a very soft one too. The ends of the bristles have "split ends", so it makes them even more "soft".

98. I know what you mean. I washed my truck when it was freezing outside once. Didn't freeze on the truck, but the water on the driveway froze!! Fell on my a$$ a couple of times!! But I got the truck clean!

I too just use the off the shelf car wash stuff. Thanks for the tips!

Old 01-14-2002, 12:00 AM
I used to us ea clean good terry hand towel size. I'm now using a sheepskin mitt like 98SCREAMER mentioned.

I also rinse the whole thing first and try to rinse off the "big" stuff. Usually after it sits wet for a little bit, the grit will loose adhesion and flush off before washing. Otherwise, use lots of water/soap and keep it really wet, wash smaller sections and rinse often.

Old 01-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I have always used pleanty of water to pre soak and rinse all my vehicles and usually only do one panel at a time in the summer, and can get away with one side during the winter. That dark blue paint really sucks in the heat, even when not in direct sun light.

I especially like the two bucket idea. I'll try that the next time.

Thanks again all.

Old 01-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Hi....

All good tips here...so...will add what ive been doing..I learn new stuff everyday...

I try different finishes...

Currently Nu-finish...in the organge bottle..
Wash soap...Johnson baby shampoo...yep, works.

I use one of those 3' plastic screw on power sprayers..attach to hose...not real hi-psi...but removes some dirt etc...also long enough to reach up over cab roof.

For the soap...just recently got this one...it came from Camper World....Auto Wash Stick....has syn. wool (replaceable head) whats nice...has suction tube...stick into bucket of water...draws up...then just apply by pushing handle in. until empty, then refill...
Ends that constant dipping, unless you have the one that attaches to hose etc...anyhow...this one simple, easy to use...no hose to drag around and get caught in tires

Works great on the sidewalls of my TT...faster and less work.

Like Family Ride...I also do sections with soap, then use the same pressure sprayer to rinse off. Here in our super dry climate..have to move fast..so that wash stick/power sprayer works great for me..

The other tips on 2 bkts makes sense...As always...have to keep an eye on how much dirt clings to what ever you use to apply soap etc.

TKS....Good luck...OT

Old 01-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Meguiar's clear coat wash and a lamb's wool mitt.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:10 AM
I mostly use a Pressure washer and a chamois(sp) cloth!
JJ

Old 01-16-2002, 12:21 AM
~Blinks~

Wash?

People WASH their trucks?

Damn, I thought your status was determined by how many successive layers of mud one could layer on without it breaking or flaking off.

I think I ought to go rent a jackhammer now.....cause I don't remember what the original color of the truck was and "Dirt Brown" is not in the catalogue.

Old 01-17-2002, 03:25 AM
Thumbs up

Jebus,

Try a steamer/cleaner like those seen on TV. They work great for "cooked-on" mud-pie crust like the one on your ride..

Dang, that sounded soo convincing. Maybe I should drop out of school and become a car salesperson.. hehe.

Quick Reply: What do you use to wash your rig with?